Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I don't say it's bad, just that it's weird and has never been done before afaik. Donations and Patreon are just more common.

Reactions: gold49

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a bit hyped for Star Citizen (in a "I am really looking forward to this and will keep it in mind when I build my rig" kind of way) myself and hope it all works out, but I am also expecting delays like nobody's business when it does get close to launch (although I would rather wait for a good game that works rather than have something broken now). I also do not understand why some pc gaming forums have entire threads dedicated to a game than is no where near release, but whatever, that's too off topic even for me.

Back on topic (hopefully), I really do not know how to feel about this kickstarter. I'm not against it at all, I just do not know how to feel about it and what it will mean for the community when it is over. Standard I hope the best for him, he is free to do what he wants, etc., but I really do not think this is what I would do in his situation, I think I would maybe promote my patreon more and see how that goes and if it goes well enough get a part time job I enjoy/could put up with to make up what patreon doesn't cover, and if that doesn't work well I just figure it out from there. Although I think he is at the "figure it out from there" part, so...yeah, I really am clueless on how to feel about this other than I don't think I would do this.
If it does work for him, I am unsure how this will affect the rest of the community. I hope it would mean more things like this would happen and more modders could make modding atleast a average paying part time job, if not a full time job later on, but I honestly do not think that would happen given the community's opinion (the large community, not this community) on giving money to something they get for free anyway.
If it doesn't work for him it could still be a start toward more modders trying to make modding a full time job and maybe would change the large communities opinion on this kind of thing, or it could have no effect and things continue on like nothing happened.
I still hope it will work and he will be one of the first of many modders to becoming full time, but I just do not think it will work myself, no matter how much I would like it to:(

To anyone who thinks $10k is too much money to live on ... all I will say is you have no idea how little that really is and how much it truly costs to live. Rent, food, power, water, internet, phone, insurance, gas, ... it adds up far quicker than you think. Just ask any self-supporting adult here.

I am pretty certain the insurance on my family's cars alone would take well over a quarter of $10,000, and we "just" (quotes to avoid "Well I do not have a single car" comments) have a two "normal" cars and a pair of barn trucks that are older than me by atleast a decade, not even including the ridiculous amount of money spent on gas. Then there is the food cost for a family and a pet, electricity, internet... I think we could go through that in no time. Living is expensive for anyone who does not know.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Back on topic (hopefully), I really do not know how to feel about this kickstarter. I'm not against it at all, I just do not know how to feel about it and what it will mean for the community when it is over. Standard I hope the best for him, he is free to do what he wants, etc., but I really do not think this is what I would do in his situation, I think I would maybe promote my patreon more and see how that goes and if it goes well enough get a part time job I enjoy/could put up with to make up what patreon doesn't cover, and if that doesn't work well I just figure it out from there. Although I think he is at the "figure it out from there" part, so...yeah, I really am clueless on how to feel about this other than I don't think I would do this.
If it does work for him, I am unsure how this will affect the rest of the community. I hope it would mean more things like this would happen and more modders could make modding atleast a average paying part time job, if not a full time job later on, but I honestly do not think that would happen given the community's opinion (the large community, not this community) on giving money to something they get for free anyway.
If it doesn't work for him it could still be a start toward more modders trying to make modding a full time job and maybe would change the large communities opinion on this kind of thing, or it could have no effect and things continue on like nothing happened.
I still hope it will work and he will be one of the first of many modders to becoming full time, but I just do not think it will work myself, no matter how much I would like it to:(

I know I don't create any mods, despite having the ideas for several, because I quite simply don't have the time. I work full-time and have other hobbies as well. If I didn't have to work then I could actually make the things bouncing around in my skull. I want to see him succeed as it'd open the way for others to follow in his footsteps.

I am pretty certain the insurance on my family's cars alone would take well over a quarter of $10,000, and we "just" (quotes to avoid "Well I do not have a single car" comments) have a two "normal" cars and a pair of barn trucks that are older than me by atleast a decade, not even including the ridiculous amount of money spent on gas. Then there is the food cost for a family and a pet, electricity, internet... I think we could go through that in no time. Living is expensive for anyone who does not know.

Don't forget health insurance, not only more expensive than car insurance but also required by law in the US now.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget health insurance, not only more expensive than car insurance but also required by law in the US now.

Oh god, I am not opening that can of worms. That is just one big political flame war waiting to happen.

I know I don't create any mods, despite having the ideas for several, because I quite simply don't have the time. I work full-time and have other hobbies as well. If I didn't have to work then I could actually make the things bouncing around in my skull. I want to see him succeed as it'd open the way for others to follow in his footsteps.

Same, I really want this to work for everyone's sake, I just am unsure it will and how it will actually affect everything.

Last edited:

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Oh god, I not opening that can of worms. That is just one big political flame war waiting to happen.

Same, I really want this to work for everyone's sake, I just am unsure it will and how it will actually affect everything.
You should have opened that can of worms :(

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
I don't think anyone can make a decent wage off of Minecraft modding. There just aren't enough people willing to continuously donate to make that happen. It's the same with Kickstarter. There simply isn't a large enough 'fanbase' to make it work. The reason why the Yogsventures people got a whole bunch of money to give to artists who then left without doing any work is because it was attached to the Yogscast name. Rich Burlew got $1.25 million to reprint The Order of the Stick books because he had an established (and slightly crazy?) fanbase. Even War for the Overworld, which 'only' mustered £211,371 did so by effectively stepping up to make another Dungeon Keeper game, and thus having that fanbase to tap into. Minecraft might be popular, but the modded community is a smaller part, and the people willing to donate to mods is again a smaller part of the previous point.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Here's me bugging you for misusing the thread and telling you to go to our already existing equivalent of an "Off-topic Area (Arena? :p)"

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/forum/general-discussion.9/

That's a subforum not a premade thread. Which is precisely the opposite of what I'm talking about. What's the point in cluttering up a subforum with threads that only get 3 replies? That's basically what PM's are for.

What I'm talking about is... basically an endless thread. Where you can go to do off-topic short little bursts of conversation that you want to be public. Basically what REDThread and Idiotic Things do from time to time, except sanctioned and even encouraged (as long as it doesn't break the rules or get heated). Somewhere to take all this off-topic-ness to let it live its natural conversational course instead of being killed off abruptly; while simultaneously allowing people that really like commenting on a zillion disparate topics the kind of thread they like. Forums are uniquely suited to holding multiple conversational threads going at once, and the forums (in the "place of discourse" definition) that I have seen implement a system like this always seem to work out better. Something like the warframe discussion that was recently cleaned up in Really Idiotic Things. It's not likely to need its own thread, but if interest looks like it's picking up it could be moved to one just as easily (much like the Project E and Reikas Mods thread did).

I personally NEVER create a thread if it's intentionally going to only last a page or two unless it's to ask a specific question. Something like "take this off topic stuff to X" is not the realm of "start a new thread" in my opinion, it's "take it to the specially sanctioned thread we created an maintain for this reason". Threads are for conversational topics that are supposed to stand on their own, not asides that have grown out of hand.

The point is it HAS to be sanctioned by the moderators, AND used by the community. For the thread to do its job, it has to be used.

Taking this to private is not something I'm willing to do, this is a conversation that should not be handled in private, because it is a conversation that has educational impact. Sorry that's not what Conversations are for. The point of a public forum thread is public discourse. The point of a group PM is to have a private discourse. This topic needs the former not the latter.

Sorry but no.

I am going to have to call in agent @Flipz at this point to come and outline why you are wrong, because it seems you don't understand that this thread is for the discussion of recent things in modded minecraft i.e. the mods. Not the people who play them. Maybe who make them, depending on whether we are talking about a person stopping updating their mod. But that's about it

We actually used to have a thread like that in General Discussion; however, it ended...poorly. Ask @Lawbroken for details.
If you'd like to see it come back, though, the General Discussion section is still the place that that level of off-topicness belongs. Ususally I let off-topicness in here slide because I can trust the community to re-rail themselves fairly quickly; when the conversation remains derailed, however, things tend to go poof.

I actually do agree that the conversation you're having should be discussed publicly; however, if you do decide to continue it, it needs to be in the General Discussion section @Gideonseymour linked. Do also remember that all the same forum rules on politeness and respect still apply in that section (just so that everyone moving the conversation there remembers ;) ).​

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
It was awesome though.

I'm sure it was awesome to be a part of, However a lot of the people jumping into the conversation were also breaking rules of the forums.
It got to a point that anyone that spoke could be given a warning point and so I locked and later deleted the thread after a million and one messages going "Can we unlock this thread?"

Because nobody else wants to make a thread, here's one.

And that thread will most likely end very badly due to a lot of people like disagreeing with other people's opinions and starts a fight. :p

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And in other news, Vaskii's latest update made my early mana farm build viable again, because even though they drink plenty of water, if they detect an infinite water source, they won't bother drinking, they just gain mana as though they had. It's a performance boost, but it makes my build work again, so I'm doubly happy!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
And in other news, Vaskii's latest update made my early mana farm build viable again, because even though they drink plenty of water, if they detect an infinite water source, they won't bother drinking, they just gain mana as though they had. It's a performance boost, but it makes my build work again, so I'm doubly happy!
Interesting, what happens if you have an "infinite" water source layout in a finite water world? If it's just detecting the pattern of water blocks without actually drinking, that would be an "exploit" for packs using finite water.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, what happens if you have an "infinite" water source layout in a finite water world? If it's just detecting the pattern of water blocks without actually drinking, that would be an "exploit" for packs using finite water.
But that wouldn't really be something Vazkii would be catering towards. She, and MOST mod devs, will balance their mod around vanilla (mechanics), and finite water isn't really vanilla.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
But that wouldn't really be something Vazkii would be catering towards. She, and MOST mod devs, will balance their mod around vanilla (mechanics), and finite water isn't really vanilla.
A config option would still be nice.

Reactions: gold49

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I recall her saying the optimizations she did this update wouldn't be configurable
You mean that she is not going to put a config option for it because her own reasons. or do you mean with that it is impossible to code? If the latter I doubt it as I believe that buildcraft has done it and I cannot think of an issue that it can provide granted I never did something in java but still.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You mean that she is not going to put a config option for it because her own reasons. or do you mean with that it is impossible to code? If the latter I doubt it as I believe that buildcraft has done it and I cannot think of an issue that it can provide granted I never did something in java but still.
I don't know her reasoning, I am just quoting what I read. Heck, I may be mis-remembering, she may have been talking about the sparks' optimization, when it game to FPS/TPS increases, that couldn't have a config option

Reactions: lenscas

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I don't know her reasoning, I am just quoting what I read. Heck, I may be mis-remembering, she may have been talking about the sparks' optimization, when it game to FPS/TPS increases, that couldn't have a config option
thank your for your explanation.