Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Without context, I don't know what you are on about.
ReC reactors are absolute pigs on water, with some requiring hundreds of buckets a second. Then add spent fuel pools, which consume in-world water and without it, will explode and irradiate the area, as well as things like water coolant for some other machines, and if you are using magnetostatics, for ice for liquid nitrogen.

...Now add finite water.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
ReC reactors are absolute pigs on water, with some requiring hundreds of buckets a second. Then add spent fuel pools, which consume in-world water and without it, will explode and irradiate the area, as well as things like water coolant for some other machines, and if you are using magnetostatics, for ice for liquid nitrogen.

...Now add finite water.
Yep. One reason why he is really liking the dew point aggregateors.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
how about a day or forever without a bunch of spam so we can see updates

It's gotten worse lately, on the last 10 pages there is so much spam. Imo there should be stricter rules about this thread >_<

I like to check this thread every time I get an Email notification but I've stopped because most of the time it's not even a mod update.
I agree with your points, but you are only adding to the problem by not calling attention to it over here instead of the news thread.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com

...Now add finite water.
That sounds awesome actually :3

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
A config option would still be nice.
Normally I'm with you, but finite water is a very non-standard choice. It is also one that affect performance. Performance is one of the few reasons I don't advocate the inclusion of configuration options. If they make the mod run better, don't ask them to make it able to run worse! No mod author should ever for any reason be compelled by anyone else to change the code of their mod to add support for another. If you, the player/pack author/server admin, enable Finite Water? You are accepting that you are changing the fundamental assumptions upon which nearly every mod is based. Which will probably break stuff. That sucks, but it's what you signed up for. Just like adding gravity to nearly all blocks, making monsters not drop loot, or changing harvest requirements of blocks. If you're going to bring up my opinion of the recent mod interaction drama which I was a major participant in the discussion about? Don't. My opinion is perfectly consistent, if you can't see that I'm not going to elaborate because the only other example I have has been finished as a conversational topic. Bring it up and I'll report to the mods. Seriously. I wouldn't care if we could keep the discussion about the logical inconsistencies about my thoughts, but it will inevitably restart stuff that nobody wants brought up.

I agree with your points, but you are only adding to the problem by not calling attention to it over here instead of the news thread.
The problem with that is that not everyone checks 50 threads, and it is simplest to assume that the kind of people who would check THIS thread for meta-level discussion of THAT thread are also not the problem in that thread. Hence bringing it up at the source of the problem. Though honestly the rules probably should be changed for that thread to be stricter. The news thread really is supposed to be nearly entirely about mod-related updates, and that's what everyone uses it for, unlike this thread recently.

Before people start harping on how I have a different opinion on this issue as compared to the one I just had here. The situation is different. When I get suggested to REDThread a discussion because it it off-topic to the thread at hand, numerous times across multiple threads? The REDThread's purpose has changed in the eyes of certain community members. I personally won't bring off-topic discussions into here because apparently the community of this thread doesn't actually want them here, but I'm not the issue. Bring it up with the people that are suggesting to redirect topics here, mmk?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Performance is one of the few reasons I don't advocate the inclusion of configuration options. If they make the mod run better, don't ask them to make it able to run worse!

What about "This is a good way, but for low end computers, here's an option"?

Think canopy trees/giant oaks in the twilight forest.
Or, range of player to detect gas / fire / lava / smoke.

If you, the player/pack author/server admin, enable Finite Water? You are accepting that you are changing the fundamental assumptions upon which nearly every mod is based. ... Just like adding gravity to nearly all blocks, ...
You left off killing passive mobs from old age, or killing trees. And, it's not all blocks, just unsupported stone.

And it's a challenge map, Jampack type :=)

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
What about "This is a good way, but for low end computers, here's an option"?

On a related note.
14_14-06-33_5INJ9JI1jq.png

Sanitized explanation: (For those with a low to moderate tolerance for... what ever you want to call a post like that.)
The April fools update removed the graphics controls. Mister blanked name up there didn't notice it was a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG and xbony2

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
No you idiots, I'm not adding a config to make your game go from 130 fps to 50 (results on mine at least), get real.

Isn't there already a command for that? Just max out flower distribution.
All you need to do is add that dancing flowers update and you will be able to get a hole 130 fpm.

Reactions: psp

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Oh well, even in the case of finite water it won't cause any problems - it's not like Hydroangeas can be used to pump water.
If anything, they're now not quite useless with finite water.