Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I can say with some degree of certainty that you live in an area that is better than many.
For one, many of my quotes are references to real-world examples (for example, the "poor people eat nice food" is a reference to an infamous Bill OReilly rant and the "we pay you what you're worth" is a reference to the head of a big company advocating for paying the "mentally retarded" - his words - $2/hr).

Okay, so you're judging the entirety of the United States and her citizens on the words of two men? For one, Bill O'Reilly is paid to speak his opinion, which is not the opinion of the majority. Two, this is a single CEO. Unless you can show me proof where more than 25% of big name US employers agree with him this can be marked as an isolated incident. This would be the same as me judging all of Canada by the actions of Rob Ford.

Also, my experiences are not isolated to my current location. It encompasses the entirety of about six states that I've lived in at some point in my life.
Second, I have talked to people all over the US via things like TeamSpeak and places like forums, and in many cases - 1M Industries can provide one example, seeing as he lives in one - where there are large swaths of people who view anything short of what amounts to borderline anarchy qualifies as a nanny state. One guy I know - he lives in the backwoods of Pennsylvania or similar - has one neighbor who built an anti-Aircraft gun for "when the CIA invades" and another who is movie-style stockpiling fuel and other resources because he is convinced "the liberals" will invade within his lifetime. (As a side note, which also shows a lot about this area, his adopted Haitian sister receives daily death threats over her race).

Incidents like these pop up every once and a while and they are almost always isolated to nut cases that no one takes seriously. It's pretty much the same group of people that believe they've been abducted by aliens.

On the topic of death threats due to race, this is not isolated to the US. There are people being murdered every day because of their religion and race all across the world. It's far better here than it could be.

This topic is also no where near relevant to recent MC news. If you wish to continue this PM me, otherwise as far as I'm concerned this conversation has reached it's end.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Then you came to the wrong place. This forum is for Mince-raft the economics simulator. :p
You know, I really like the game Minecraft: the game about mining and crafting. Though this Minceraft sounds fun, do you make rafts out of mince in it? :p

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Rainbows don't mean anything in particular, but can we talk about the new fluid crashy issues in Forge 1335+ at least? Or iChun possibly revisiting 1.7.10? Or TC5?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So Vazkii has nerfed thermalillies a little more... What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Personally I don't care, because I use Kekimauris not Thermalillies (when you play with JordsUtils, Kekimauris are so much more OP)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, that one minute more doesn't hurt me when I don't use it anyway
It's a bit of a shame as in vanilla Minecraft, which is more what Vaz had in mind, they're not OP at all.

At least a somewhat easy option for mana is still there with Endoflames.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, that one minute more doesn't hurt me when I don't use it anyway
It's a bit of a shame as in vanilla Minecraft, which is more what Vaz had in mind, they're not OP at all.

At least a somewhat easy option for mana is still there with Endoflames.
Yeah, I agree endoflames are insanely OP. However, it's unwise to nerf them anymore as that would mean the first 4 viable mana producers: Daybloom, Nighshade, Endoflame, Hydrongeas, would all be pretty crap.
Daybloom and nightshade should be crap, they are the first mana producers.
But hydro- are a little better, but as it is free energy, it's a little OP, so needs a small increase on daybloom/nightshade, but not much.
Endoflame though, in vanilla, is actually hard to make OP, as everything is gathered manually. However, introduce a mod like MFR, endoflame is now easy to get infinite charcoal power!

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yeah, I agree endoflames are insanely OP. However, it's unwise to nerf them anymore as that would mean the first 4 viable mana producers: Daybloom, Nighshade, Endoflame, Hydrongeas, would all be pretty crap.
Daybloom and nightshade should be crap, they are the first mana producers.
But hydro- are a little better, but as it is free energy, it's a little OP, so needs a small increase on daybloom/nightshade, but not much.
Endoflame though, in vanilla, is actually hard to make OP, as everything is gathered manually. However, introduce a mod like MFR, endoflame is now easy to get infinite charcoal power!
Might be better to have configs with the generation rates in there, with alternative recommended values when used in packs with "easy" automation, chunkloading, server vs single player play.
All those affect "mod balance" and is impossible to balance to, the best is to config the mod for the environment it's going to played in.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Might be better to have configs with the generation rates in there, with alternative recommended values when used in packs with "easy" automation, chunkloading, server vs single player play.
All those affect "mod balance" and is impossible to balance to, the best is to config the mod for the environment it's going to played in.
That may work :)

But on the topic of configs, she (Vazkii) also said that she was making changes that should make performance a hell of a lot better :D
However, it wouldn't be configurable, due to particles or something :/ I LIKE ME SOME FANCY!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Come visit my state sometime. Are most of the places you lived generally liberal or conservative? Because nearly every description I've seen in this thread is very much indicative of conservative areas. Political or religious. Something about America really encourages extreme conservatism and liberalism to try and coexist... it's completely baffling. There are giant wage gaps because the rich want to get richer, and we are consolidating wealth out of the producer/laborer and even pushing labor out in the name off operating cost and efficiency. So no, Reika was not basing his opinion off of two guys. That is how very VERY large portions of the country work in many ways.

I want to specifically tackle "A) The wage gaps are present between those who work hard / have an education and those who don't want to work hard / get an education. Yes, there are exceptions as always, but that is overwhelmingly the case."

Have you SEEN the statistics for underemployment? College degrees are basically worthless unless you're going into a technical field, and are horrible predictors of skill in those fields they still matter in thanks to degree farms. If you really think "work harder" is the way to get paid better I have one hyphenated word for you. Wal-Mart. Where corporate policy and culture conspire to treat everyone as replaceable cogs and use government assistance to help you pay your workers less than a livable wage while keeping them under the legal work hours for requiring the worker receives benefits like insurance coverage. This isn't the case everywhere, but it is the case in enough places so as to be a problem. Not to mention the minimum wage hasn't kept up even remotely with inflation, or cost of living. Don't get me started on the "prove you're worthy of getting help" bull like drug tests and the part-time "look for work" job that you have to do if you're not making $290 a week gross income to recieve SNAP benefits in my state. Yes even if you have a steady job, you still have to look for another one in order to receive SNAP (Food stamps) if you happen to be even an hour short of being a full-time minimum wage employee. Don't even TRY to talk to me about "work harder" I've been looking for a job for entirely too long and I'm getting so tired of this shit from people that got lucky or are privileged enough to actually be employed or pay their way through college. I'm personally not willing to put myself into crippling debt to get a burger-flipping job for my 4+ year degree, because apparently higher education is supposed to cost more than anything reasonable except for houses and expensive vehicles.

Sorry for the rant. I'm way beyond tired of not being able to find a job because I had sleep apnea induced crippling oxygen deprivation headaches whose untimely diagnosis (I suffered from it for nearly 5 years before it finally got resolved with a C-PAP machine) prevented me from finishing my secondary education (high school), and gave me a giant blank spot in my employment history that's just getting bigger and bigger as nobody will hire me, and obtaining gainful employment using my truly marketable skills require licenses and degrees that I can't pay for.

Also that's what the Recent Events Discussion thread is for. Short-ish off topic asides that don't deserve their own thread. I don't particularly care what the original post set it up as, when "REDThread" is used when people are being off-topic? That's what the REDThread has turned into. If you want that to stop, bug the community for mis-using a thread and give them the equivalent to an "Off-topic Arena".

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Come visit my state sometime. Are most of the places you lived generally liberal or conservative? Because nearly every description I've seen in this thread is very much indicative of conservative areas. Political or religious. Something about America really encourages extreme conservatism and liberalism to try and coexist... it's completely baffling. There are giant wage gaps because the rich want to get richer, and we are consolidating wealth out of the producer/laborer and even pushing labor out in the name off operating cost and efficiency. So no, Reika was not basing his opinion off of two guys. That is how very VERY large portions of the country work in many ways.

I want to specifically tackle "A) The wage gaps are present between those who work hard / have an education and those who don't want to work hard / get an education. Yes, there are exceptions as always, but that is overwhelmingly the case."

Have you SEEN the statistics for underemployment? College degrees are basically worthless unless you're going into a technical field, and are horrible predictors of skill in those fields they still matter in thanks to degree farms. If you really think "work harder" is the way to get paid better I have one hyphenated word for you. Wal-Mart. Where corporate policy and culture conspire to treat everyone as replaceable cogs and use government assistance to help you pay your workers less than a livable wage while keeping them under the legal work hours for requiring the worker receives benefits like insurance coverage. This isn't the case everywhere, but it is the case in enough places so as to be a problem. Not to mention the minimum wage hasn't kept up even remotely with inflation, or cost of living. Don't get me started on the "prove you're worthy of getting help" bull like drug tests and the part-time "look for work" job that you have to do if you're not making $290 a week gross income to recieve SNAP benefits in my state. Yes even if you have a steady job, you still have to look for another one in order to receive SNAP (Food stamps) if you happen to be even an hour short of being a full-time minimum wage employee. Don't even TRY to talk to me about "work harder" I've been looking for a job for entirely too long and I'm getting so tired of this shit from people that got lucky or are privileged enough to actually be employed or pay their way through college. I'm personally not willing to put myself into crippling debt to get a burger-flipping job for my 4+ year degree, because apparently higher education is supposed to cost more than anything reasonable except for houses and expensive vehicles.

Sorry for the rant. I'm way beyond tired of not being able to find a job because I had sleep apnea induced crippling oxygen deprivation headaches whose untimely diagnosis (I suffered from it for nearly 5 years before it finally got resolved with a C-PAP machine) prevented me from finishing my secondary education (high school), and gave me a giant blank spot in my employment history that's just getting bigger and bigger as nobody will hire me, and obtaining gainful employment using my truly marketable skills require licenses and degrees that I can't pay for.

Also that's what the Recent Events Discussion thread is for. Short-ish off topic asides that don't deserve their own thread. I don't particularly care what the original post set it up as, when "REDThread" is used when people are being off-topic? That's what the REDThread has turned into. If you want that to stop, bug the community for mis-using a thread and give them the equivalent to an "Off-topic Arena".
This topic is also no where near relevant to recent MC news. If you wish to continue this PM me, otherwise as far as I'm concerned this conversation has reached it's end.
Stop promoting derailment. It's getting old, fast.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Here's me bugging you for misusing the thread and telling you to go to our already existing equivalent of an "Off-topic Area (Arena? :p)"

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/forum/general-discussion.9/

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That's a subforum not a premade thread. Which is precisely the opposite of what I'm talking about. What's the point in cluttering up a subforum with threads that only get 3 replies? That's basically what PM's are for.

What I'm talking about is... basically an endless thread. Where you can go to do off-topic short little bursts of conversation that you want to be public. Basically what REDThread and Idiotic Things do from time to time, except sanctioned and even encouraged (as long as it doesn't break the rules or get heated). Somewhere to take all this off-topic-ness to let it live its natural conversational course instead of being killed off abruptly; while simultaneously allowing people that really like commenting on a zillion disparate topics the kind of thread they like. Forums are uniquely suited to holding multiple conversational threads going at once, and the forums (in the "place of discourse" definition) that I have seen implement a system like this always seem to work out better. Something like the warframe discussion that was recently cleaned up in Really Idiotic Things. It's not likely to need its own thread, but if interest looks like it's picking up it could be moved to one just as easily (much like the Project E and Reikas Mods thread did).

I personally NEVER create a thread if it's intentionally going to only last a page or two unless it's to ask a specific question. Something like "take this off topic stuff to X" is not the realm of "start a new thread" in my opinion, it's "take it to the specially sanctioned thread we created an maintain for this reason". Threads are for conversational topics that are supposed to stand on their own, not asides that have grown out of hand.

The point is it HAS to be sanctioned by the moderators, AND used by the community. For the thread to do its job, it has to be used.

Taking this to private is not something I'm willing to do, this is a conversation that should not be handled in private, because it is a conversation that has educational impact. Sorry that's not what Conversations are for. The point of a public forum thread is public discourse. The point of a group PM is to have a private discourse. This topic needs the former not the latter.

Reactions: psp