Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok. As I said, I'm trying to think of a way to make defenses not invincible; somehow vulnerable to missile brute force or cleverness. From a coding standpoint, would it be possible to make the generator temporarily shut down if enough explosions occur nearby the shield blocks? Or perhaps have short, visible cooldown sequences every so often where it is vulnerable, but of an entity gets through it reenables immediately after it is through? Perhaps all of this as a config option? :p
Just to be clear, you place down (craftable?) force field blocks and then link those to a generator, which "powers" them, right? Can these blocks be broken/moved at all once activated (I assume not)? I think they may be vulnerable to gravity guns/certain explosives with this method, which may or may not be a good thing. MFFS wasn't, if I recall; it regenerated the blocks if they were moved. Does this have a similar function? If it doesn't, could it be coded to have that?
Sorry to throw so many questions at you, but this kind of pack would be cool if done in a professional way. :)

Well normally the shield blocks shouldn't be movable unless the mod that tries to move the blocks does things the wrong way. The shield could technically be coded to do anything. Not clear exactly how this should work though.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
Remain In Motion should be able to get through the shields. Possibly, that could be accomplished by moving shield blocks out of the way, but even if not, a translocator and template/snapshot carriage setup with an empty space for the shield would let you move blocks and entities across the shield.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
After further testing, both methods work. Screenshots of method 1:
XbHcrxH.png

np02NWl.png
And method 2:
kJbigQs.png

The template carriage is configured to move both air blocks before the redstone block, and the closer of the two redstone blocks. To get across the shield, I stand on the redstone block as it teleports me.
Back in Tekkit Classic I usually crossed shields by abusing nether portal cross-linking, so there's that too.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
After further testing, both methods work. Screenshots of method 1:
XbHcrxH.png

np02NWl.png
And method 2:
kJbigQs.png

The template carriage is configured to move both air blocks before the redstone block, and the closer of the two redstone blocks. To get across the shield, I stand on the redstone block as it teleports me.
Back in Tekkit Classic I usually crossed shields by abusing nether portal cross-linking, so there's that too.

Hmm... I wonder if I can stop that somehow...

Reactions: RedBoss

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like MFFS in Classic only had the zapper upgrade, which hurts you only while touching the force field - not while inside it.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
There was also one that'll strip out a player's inventory, either a total wipe or as a black/whitelist. Dire was trolling RichardG with it a while back
I'd guess that must have been with a more recent MFFS than the one in Tekkit Classic - at least, I couldn't find any mention of it in the Tekkit Classic wiki.
Hmm... I wonder if I can stop that somehow...
For the first case, we already have an IMC blacklist command:
Code:
FMLInterModComms.sendMessage("JAKJ_RedstoneInMotion", "blacklistSoft", Block.blockRegistry.getNameForObject(block));
Dealing with the second case would take a bit of work on my end - if RemIM doesn't need to put something at a place, it won't even check if it's obstructed or blacklisted.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at Curse's "Top Downloaded" page for mods is actually really interesting.
The only thing that confuses me a bit is that top three are:
1. Tinker's Construct
2. CoFH Core
3. ... And THEN Mantle.
So many people, so many "bug" reports... XD

Now, maybe a lot of that is because Mantle doesn't update as often, but still. :p

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at Curse's "Top Downloaded" page for mods is actually really interesting.
1. Tinker's Construct
2. CoFH Core
3. ... And THEN Mantle.

Now, maybe a lot of that is because Mantle doesn't update as often, but still. :p
More likely it's because the TCon page on Curse is not at all clear that Mantle is required. Self inflicted wounds.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
What's worrying is the lack of actual gameplay content in that list.
Anyone new to modded MC will come in and see 'the top 20 best mods for MC' when less than half give you some content to play with, and -with the exception of TiCon- all those hidden middle to bottom of the list.
Take just the top 5, you have TiCon, 3 APIs and a utility.​

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
What's worrying is the lack of actual gameplay content in that list.
Anyone new to modded MC will come in and see 'the top 20 best mods for MC' when less than half give you some content to play with, and -with the exception of TiCon- all those hidden middle to bottom of the list.
Take just the top 5, you have TiCon, 3 APIs and a utility.​
Yeah, but if you go just a little further, you get TE, XU, MFR, Thaumcraft, and AE2. Not that bad. :p
Plus most people end up playing modpacks anyway.

... This is not on topic at all, but what is your icon supposed to be, Celestialphoenix?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
1. Tinker's Construct
2. CoFH Core
3. ... And THEN Mantle.

Whenever I see that, I be like:
62483371.jpg

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Yeah, but if you go just a little further, you get TE, XU, MFR, Thaumcraft, and AE2. Not that bad. :p
Plus most people end up playing modpacks anyway.

Thats what I said; nearly all the content is hidden in the middle-bottom of the top 20.

... This is not on topic at all, but what is your icon supposed to be, Celestialphoenix?
Take a closer look. (deviantart link)
her_night___wallpaper_by_aumashy-d6peagg.png

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
It's a barely visible Princess Luna.
... Ah. I could tell it was two eyes in the dark, but even on the big version there wasn't really anything else visible (besides the two little circle things, which were only more confusing). :p
Thanks for the info. :)