Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I agree but I have no idea about what to talk about.
edit and ninjad but it seems like the end of the debate

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I agree but I have no idea about what to talk about.
edit and ninjad but it seems like the end of the debate
ICBM left Calclavia'a hands finally (don't know when, though) and OpenModularTurrets exists at all. :p
I'd like to make a pack a bit like the original Voltz pack - a sort of space race/arms race. Nukes, turrets, spaceships, maybe force fields, some kind of power armor. It should use RF instead of UE. :p
The only issue is that I'm not sure there's any way to shoot down nukes, and actual MPS removes the variation from a PvP situation. I don't know of a good force field mod that runs on RF (though RFTools has a shield block, which might be useful).
My modpack is most of the way there, I'm just missing the weapons stuff.

I realize trident is a thing, but I want to compete for a definite end goal. I'll probably try trident just to see how the PvP works when tech mods come into play.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the UE mods have gone out of Calclavia's hands at this point. Galacticraft, MineChem, ICBM, MachineMuse's Modular Powersuits... um... resonant induction is still Calclavia right, or power transmission another new mod again?

There are... 6? Force Field mods. MFFS: Minalien/Classic, MFFS: Calclavia, Advanced Repulsion Systems (Immibis), RFTools, um... I swear there were two more for 1.7... Then again my memory works like a screen door on a submarine sometimes. There's an amazing amount of data to keep track of when you're talking about Modded Minecraft, and each new version is nearly a new set of information. But as far as I'm aware, all 4 mods I mentioned will run on RF. Might require a converter or addon (the energy net for IC2 addon by player that lets it transfer RF might work, but there are a dozen ways to make EU from RF too)

PvP + tech mods = more ways to die suddenly with little to no protection or possible reprisal. Power creep hits PvE pretty hard, but it taxes PvP orders of magnitude more.
Then again I knew the instant I saw guns (Flans, yeah?) I was going to hate the pack. The ONLY packs I've ever seen use Flan's since... well since I came back to modded in 1.4.7 (I got tired of the long wait times between MC and the new mods requiring an ever-growing tangle of backup folders, and the only mods that existed back then were Pfaeff's Allocator, IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, MineFactory (which I never heard about at the time), and that one plastic mod that wasn't Mine Factory. So I had fun with bukkit and a local server from beta 1.8 until 1.4.7 and FTB's pyramid.

Wish I'd found Direwolf back in Beta 1.8 :-(

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the UE mods have gone out of Calclavia's hands at this point. Galacticraft, MineChem, ICBM, MachineMuse's Modular Powersuits... um... resonant induction is still Calclavia right, or power transmission another new mod again?

There are... 6? Force Field mods. MFFS: Minalien/Classic, MFFS: Calclavia, Advanced Repulsion Systems (Immibis), RFTools, um... I swear there were two more for 1.7... Then again my memory works like a screen door on a submarine sometimes. There's an amazing amount of data to keep track of when you're talking about Modded Minecraft, and each new version is nearly a new set of information. But as far as I'm aware, all 4 mods I mentioned will run on RF. Might require a converter or addon (the energy net for IC2 addon by player that lets it transfer RF might work, but there are a dozen ways to make EU from RF too)

PvP + tech mods = more ways to die suddenly with little to no protection or possible reprisal. Power creep hits PvE pretty hard, but it taxes PvP orders of magnitude more.
Then again I knew the instant I saw guns (Flans, yeah?) I was going to hate the pack. The ONLY packs I've ever seen use Flan's since... well since I came back to modded in 1.4.7 (I got tired of the long wait times between MC and the new mods requiring an ever-growing tangle of backup folders, and the only mods that existed back then were Pfaeff's Allocator, IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, MineFactory (which I never heard about at the time), and that one plastic mod that wasn't Mine Factory. So I had fun with bukkit and a local server from beta 1.8 until 1.4.7 and FTB's pyramid.

Wish I'd found Direwolf back in Beta 1.8 :-(
Yeah... Pretty much just flans. I guess you would need to some how combine ICBM, Force Fields, and Sentry Turrets, and then make setting up defenses almost a minigame, and make attacking them also a minigame. Or you could have it where attacking someone's base decreased their "power level" instead of destroying it, and when that power level reaches zero, THEN it could be destroyed. That would take a while, though.
Plus there's the long term goal of reaching the moon to make combat not the main goal.
I always thought Calclavia was an anti-compatibility kinda guy whose mods would eventually be taken away.
I'll investigate RFTools' force field system more. @McJty, can you provide some information on that?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Yeah... Pretty much just flans. I guess you would need to some how combine ICBM, Force Fields, and Sentry Turrets, and then make setting up defenses almost a minigame, and make attacking them also a minigame. Or you could have it where attacking someone's base decreased their "power level" instead of destroying it, and when that power level reaches zero, THEN it could be destroyed. That would take a while, though.
Plus there's the long term goal of reaching the moon to make combat not the main goal.
I always thought Calclavia was an anti-compatibility kinda guy whose mods would eventually be taken away.
I'll investigate RFTools' force field system more. @McJty, can you provide some information on that?

The RFTools shield is pretty easy to set up. You just place down shield template blocks which have to connect and a shield projector. Then you activate it. You can control what types of entities get damage and can pass through the shield. So you can make it solid with damage for mobs and no damage and non solid for players. Or you can even make it solid for some players and non solid for others. It can do generic damage but also 'player' type damage at the cost of more power. It can be configured to look like any other block. It is also Wither proof (I am using it for a Wither farm right now).

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
The RFTools shield is pretty easy to set up. You just place down shield template blocks which have to connect and a shield projector. Then you activate it. You can control what types of entities get damage and can pass through the shield. So you can make it solid with damage for mobs and no damage and non solid for players. Or you can even make it solid for some players and non solid for others. It can do generic damage but also 'player' type damage at the cost of more power. It can be configured to look like any other block. It is also Wither proof (I am using it for a Wither farm right now).

Here is a screenshot:

lfS4ca4.png

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That depends whether the entity blows up on impact with the shield and said shield can withstand the explosion (mostly catastrophic for black-red matter missiles).
Well, yes. But that's to be expected ;) If you don't have enough shielding I can pop you

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
As long as the shield projector itself isn't damaged the shield should be safe unless the breaking mod (ICBM) bypasses Minecraft block breaking functionality. You can also protect the shield projector by using the block protector but you'll have to give that sufficient power.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Its the mod author's unique way of making it realistic, If you dont like it you dont have to use the mod :p

Realistic? In minecraft?
You have never actually cut down a tree before have you? Well lets skip that for now.
If you think about it it is actually more realistic to cut trees down with out needing tools or wearing out. After all we can knock them down with our bare hands.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Realistic? In minecraft?
You have never actually cut down a tree before have you? Well lets skip that for now.
If you think about it it is actually more realistic to cut trees down with out needing tools or wearing out. After all we can knock them down with our bare hands.

RoC keeps quite a bit of realism in how it works. A realistic mod doesn't need to be in a realistic game. Reika's proven that, I see nothing wrong with other mods doing the same.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
As long as the shield projector itself isn't damaged the shield should be safe unless the breaking mod (ICBM) bypasses Minecraft block breaking functionality. You can also protect the shield projector by using the block protector but you'll have to give that sufficient power.
Is there also a way to break through the shield? Or some kind of weakness? Or some way to make missiles able to break through it, either through cleverness or brute force? :p
These are all things that need to be considered if I/we want to make a Cold War pack. :)

EDIT:
RoC keeps quite a bit of realism in how it works. A realistic mod doesn't need to be in a realistic game. Reika's proven that, I see nothing wrong with other mods doing the same.
But at the same time, they don't NEED to be realistic. It isn't bad that RoC is realistic; that's a defining cool factor. But the fact that MFR is unrealistic(ally easy) is also not bad.

Last edited:

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Is there also a way to break through the shield? Or some kind of weakness? Or some way to make missiles able to break through it, either through cleverness or brute force? :p
These are all things that need to be considered if I/we want to make a Cold War pack. :)

The only weakness at this moment is power. If power runs out it stops. Also it consumes more power if it has to do damage so if you can get enough entities on it that take damage you might be able to bring the power down faster.

Reactions: Padfoote

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
The only weakness at this moment is power. If power runs out it stops. Also it consumes more power if it has to do damage so if you can get enough entities on it that take damage you might be able to bring the power down faster.
Ok. As I said, I'm trying to think of a way to make defenses not invincible; somehow vulnerable to missile brute force or cleverness. From a coding standpoint, would it be possible to make the generator temporarily shut down if enough explosions occur nearby the shield blocks? Or perhaps have short, visible cooldown sequences every so often where it is vulnerable, but of an entity gets through it reenables immediately after it is through? Perhaps all of this as a config option? :p
Just to be clear, you place down (craftable?) force field blocks and then link those to a generator, which "powers" them, right? Can these blocks be broken/moved at all once activated (I assume not)? I think they may be vulnerable to gravity guns/certain explosives with this method, which may or may not be a good thing. MFFS wasn't, if I recall; it regenerated the blocks if they were moved. Does this have a similar function? If it doesn't, could it be coded to have that?
Sorry to throw so many questions at you, but this kind of pack would be cool if done in a professional way. :)