Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~And I for one rather like the original ones. It's not like vanilla textures are all that realistic. They aren't meant to be. They are meant to resemble 16 bit era sprites. Think SNES era.
The edited ones look more like how I remember the SNES days I had. Instead of flat featureless blocks they had bumps. Minor ones, since 16x16 doesn't leave much room for awesome graphics, but even so...
The SNES wasn't 16 bit graphics. They had a 16 bit processor. They had 8x8 tiles to make up the spirtes, but those could scale up to 64x64.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I view many of your textures as the aesthetic of several mods. Your textures are official in some mods (EDX notwithstanding) so I suppose that is not surprising. Furthermore, the new buildcraft is one of the main things I am looking forward to in 1.7 and the great new textures are no small part of that. I like your TE retexture too. I don't think it fails to meet any of your goals at all. It is really nice. I'm kinda happy with my default textures to be honest, but I really appreciate your work and I hope it gains traction.

Have you been in touch with Mithion about the Ars Magica retextures?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone been able to get a hold of Mithion lately?

Honest question, fyi.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The only reason I ask this is because in his FAQ he appears quite attached to his own textures. That was the case a few months ago anyway, I don't know if it still is and Ars Magica is not one of the mods I think about too much.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason I ask this is because in his FAQ he appears quite attached to his own textures. That was the case a few months ago anyway, I don't know if it still is and Ars Magica is not one of the mods I think about too much.
Fair enough. I like some of his textures; I love the magic circles, the inlays, etc. I think some of them definitely could use a hand; witchwood comes to mind there.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. I like some of his textures; I love the magic circles, the inlays, etc. I think some of them definitely could use a hand; witchwood comes to mind there.

I agree. About half of AM is really beautiful, but the other half is a bit strange. The artwork is more than I can manage though so I don't want to appear too critical.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. About half of AM is really beautiful, but the other half is a bit strange. The artwork is more than I can manage though so I don't want to appear too critical.
I think it's important, in cases like these, to bear two facts in mind: first, that we can be critical without being insulting; nothing is perfect. Second, that we can be critical without talent for the thing we are being critical of. I can barely draw a stick figure but I can still determine the relative merits of a piece of art.

Sorry if that seems a little out of place but I've already been accused of being insulting once in this thread, and I find the idea that critics must be talented at the thing they are critiquing to be a fallacy in several ways ;)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
They look more like a bunch of free icons honestly. I've seen them tons of other places... Like another Minecraft mod, the name of which escapes me.
That too may be the case. Let us say then that, without further research, they seem very reminiscent of a certain series and may have found their inspiration there.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That too may be the case. Let us say then that, without further research, they seem very reminiscent of a certain series and may have found their inspiration there.

Or maybe said series took advantage of free content and benefited from it, eh? Wouldn't be the first time...

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Or maybe said series took advantage of free content and benefited from it, eh? Wouldn't be the first time...
That's fair too, although most of theirs was covered by EULA provisos =P

Reactions: YX33A

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's important, in cases like these, to bear two facts in mind: first, that we can be critical without being insulting; nothing is perfect. Second, that we can be critical without talent for the thing we are being critical of. I can barely draw a stick figure but I can still determine the relative merits of a piece of art.

Sorry if that seems a little out of place but I've already been accused of being insulting once in this thread, and I find the idea that critics must be talented at the thing they are critiquing to be a fallacy in several ways ;)

I hope you know that I wasn't trying to say you were out of line or anything. I certainly agree with you that you don't have to be an artist to criticise art. Clever and considerate criticism is an altogether different talent from doing the the thing being criticised. I just didn't have much better to say than that I would do certain things differently if I had an iota of texturing talent.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I hope you know that I wasn't trying to say you were out of line or anything. I certainly agree with you that you don't have to be an artist to criticise art. Clever and considerate criticism is an altogether different talent from doing the the thing being criticised. I just didn't have much better to say than that I would do certain things differently if I had an iota of texturing talent.
I know you weren't; it's why I made a point of mentioning the prior incidence ;)

I think that texture artists are often underrepresented in the modding scene. Most modders I know say something like "I know I'm bad at textures, I'd like to improve these" but people very rarely step forward.

It's a bit of a curious situation, really. Putting aside that I have the visual arts talent of a pumpkin, I'm a creative type myself and I can never find a programmer or an artist to work with.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you're ever in need of graphics, you could always take me up on the free service that I offer. ;)
I will bear that in mind, and seriously hope that you are, in this case, referring to your design skills ;)

Reactions: Mevansuto

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So recent events ...

HQM apparently has a bug where a server with more than 1024 unique users will fail. This affects 164, and is being fixed for 172.

If the devs had simply said "we're not backporting bug fixes to older version anymore", no issue.

But instead, there's a whole big thing about servers that take donations, "You're making money off our work", etc.

Worth discussing?