Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
When I started this thread I had my doubts that it would prove to be anything useful. I think it is safe to say that it has succeeded in being useful at least to a certain level. It kind-of feels like a slow paced irc channel...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So now that we have gotten it out of the system that no-one likes using the SPHAX TP :p are there any that people actually do enjoy using? soartex maybe? some of the faithful ones? how is mod support?
JSTR is pretty good, and not too bad on the graphics at 32x. It's got a lot of broad mod support as well.

Soartex is really nice looking, and there's a lot of mod support since practically any 'photo-realistic' pack fits in pretty well. However, the problem is that it's a 64x pack, and not everyone's graphics card can handle that.

Honestly, Painterly is pretty cool, very customizable, and since it's effectively vanilla anyway it doesn't hurt that it has almost zero mod support.

Reactions: Mevansuto

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
JSTR is pretty good, and not too bad on the graphics at 32x. It's got a lot of broad mod support as well.

Soartex is really nice looking, and there's a lot of mod support since practically any 'photo-realistic' pack fits in pretty well. However, the problem is that it's a 64x pack, and not everyone's graphics card can handle that.

Honestly, Painterly is pretty cool, very customizable, and since it's effectively vanilla anyway it doesn't hurt that it has almost zero mod support.
JSTR is only for 147 packs IIRC

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I like that 'only'... as though this is a small number. It hits most of the more popular mods, and a heck of a lot more of the less prevalent mods than most texture packs (except, perhaps, the infamous sphax).
I LOVED John Smith in vanilla but it skews your building style. You end up building things that look FANTASTIC in that pack but look horrible in default or anything else. As much as I love that pack, I won't use it for that reason.

Reactions: Padfoote

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
@DZCreeper has put in a lot of work on keeping the faithful32/vattic pack for FTB maintained and up to date. Many thanks go to him and all the others that contribute to the pack.
It definitely elevates the game to another level for me. It is also not that demanding on the resources. Love it!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure, but I think he specifically meant re: the Forestry backpacks there.

That's just my take though.
Skipped 2 pages to remind you, you can in fact tell a force pouch what it's supposed to hold and how it uses it. But... you need to craft a item card(IIRC 1 per item no less).
Maybe not the best for putting all your mining junk in one bag from the get-go, though*. Sure as hell easier then making a custom forestry backpack everytime I decide I want to hold new items, though.
*(you'd need a max tier bag for that likely, and even then, unless you are sorting and holding dirt, cobble, gravel, flint, and sand, all in seperate bags, you'll need a few upgraded item cards anyway, and that's assuming you don't have 12 or so types of tin and copper)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Re: Texture packs:

If you are going to make a tutorial, please, PLEASE, use vanilla textures. I don't care what you use in your normal LP world, but if you want to teach others, use the basics.

And, nothing wrong with 16x textures. Imagine Carpenters blocks slopes, at 16 steps per slope, with 16x textures. Sure, it's a slope -- in perfect minecraft style.

With that said, RED =
Redundant exclaimed debates
Repetitively exchanged digressions

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I had many things to say about the CyanideX's texture project, but after 2 or 3 pages of discussion you all have summed it up quite nicely, so I will limit myself just to this. The textures are very nice but I am not sure they succeed in unifying mods around a more vanilla style. They seem closer in general to the universal electricity/mekanism style (which I don't see as a bad thing personally).

I also like the RED thread name. It sounds good.

On the topic of texture packs I like the one @Bevo uses for Bevo'sTechPack, especially the occasional Bevoese in the item names (falafels :D)

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I had many things to say about the CyanideX's texture project, but after 2 or 3 pages of discussion you all have summed it up quite nicely, so I will limit myself just to this. The textures are very nice but I am not sure they succeed in unifying mods around a more vanilla style. They seem closer in general to the universal electricity/mekanism style (which I don't see as a bad thing personally).

I also like the RED thread name. It sounds good.

On the topic of texture packs I like the one @Bevo uses for Bevo'sTechPack, especially the occasional Bevoese in the item names (falafels :D)

FWIW, bevo uses the faithful32 pack that I was mentioning above.

CyanideX

Jul 29, 2019

My goal is to offer a service to mod authors who lack the ability to present their mod as it was envisioned. I do not wish to create a massive resource pack, although I will offer alternatives for community members that would like one. All but one of the mods in my post are default textures in the mod itself and not a resource pack.

I try to represent the mods original style in a 16x texture format, not redesign them to look like a vanilla block... but I can see why here would be some confusion. Some mods have great texture and feature layouts but simply lack depth; I bring them depth. Others have a very bright / contrast-y color palette and I will try to tone it down. The result should be a mod pack that fits together nicely without specific blocks jumping out at you (unless intended). So far I have mostly completed machine textures which, as they should, tend to look dark, metallic, dirty and mechanical overall.

For example:
8YKqd.jpg
When I move on to less tech based mods such as Ars Magica, the textures will very different (let's hope).

TL;DR... I'm offering a service to mod authors, not creating a community resource pack.

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
You might be better off just making a resource pack and offering any dev who want to use them the choice to use them as there official textures. I don't think you will get to many to chose the latter though. Even if the texs look rather bad to others many mods work rather hard to make those textures.[DOUBLEPOST=1400975803][/DOUBLEPOST]
So far I have mostly completed machine textures which, as they should, tend to look dark, metallic, dirty and mechanical overall.

For example:
8YKqd.jpg

And I for one rather like the original ones. It's not like vanilla textures are all that realistic. They aren't meant to be. They are meant to resemble 16 bit era sprites. Think SNES era.