Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno about that; maybe the major ones are, but there are plenty of packs out there that are pretty much "I made a bunch of textures I like" - they just aren't, generally, five-star material. Many of them are default res.

That aside, look at those textures. They're totally themed.

"Replacing the default textures" is exactly what a texture pack does. You're overthinking this one.
Yeah, you're probably right... meh, fuel the drama ;)
I should also point out that I don't use any texture packs...

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you're probably right... meh, fuel the drama ;)
I should also point out that I don't use any texture packs...
I don't either, but I have done in the distant past. I tried a bunch out somewhere between vanilla 0.6-0.8. An awful lot of them fell under the "random crap" umbrella, lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I avoid texture packs. When I was new to mods, it was confusing trying to figure out what was what. Now that I am familiar, I really don't want to figure what's what.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I avoid texture packs. When I was new to mods, it was confusing trying to figure out what was what. Now that I am familiar, I really don't want to figure what's what.
That's why there are things like faithful and familiar yet different. They keep a vanilla look to allow you understand what's going on. Also waila...

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
That's the truth. First time I installed a texture pack on Tekkit was a nightmare; couldn't figure out which machine was which.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
That's why there are things like faithful and familiar yet different. They keep a vanilla look to allow you understand what's going on. Also waila...
I've tried faithful, but it make things like swords, look very odd to me. I also don't depend on WAILA. I have a thing about extra info on my HUD.

That being said, faithful is a tolerable resource pack for modding Imo.

Reactions: Padfoote

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
That's the truth. First time I installed a texture pack on Tekkit was a nightmare; couldn't figure out which machine was which.
What's worse was only finding tutorials done using extreme texture packs like sphax. Honestly, that's what got me to join the forums. I couldn't find information on mods in 1.4, and I kept finding people with posts or vids using texture packs. It was very frustrating.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
What's worse was only finding tutorials done using extreme texture packs like sphax. Honestly, that's what got me to join the forums. I couldn't find information on mods in 1.4, and I kept finding people with posts or vids using texture packs. It was very frustrating.
Friends don't let friends do Sphax. It literally gives me a migraine after watching for more than five minutes. I've had to give up on LP's done by people I really enjoy normally watching due to Sphax making it completely unwatchable.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Most people here know I have a thing about watching videos, but the ones I have seen, almost everyone uses Sphax.

If we're being honest, it annoys the piss out of me. I cannot politely express my distaste for Sphax.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
So, early Attack of the B-Team videos.
GenerikB said "I am in a heavily modded enviroment, I won't use vanilla textures." which is all fine and dandy, BUT MOD TEXTURES ARE CHANGED TOO. So, anyone who wants to use any tricks has to download sphax. Which is sad, because some people's computers can handle modpacks but not modpacks + high-res texture packs. My old computer couldn't handle 64x packs, much less the 128x of sphax.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
So now that we have gotten it out of the system that no-one likes using the SPHAX TP :p are there any that people actually do enjoy using? soartex maybe? some of the faithful ones? how is mod support?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So now that we have gotten it out of the system that no-one likes using the SPHAX TP :p are there any that people actually do enjoy using? soartex maybe? some of the faithful ones? how is mod support?

I personally like Soartex. I don't use it much since it doesn't have all mods covered yet though. Reika's mods and Blood Magic aren't covered yet, and those consist of the main mods I use.