Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
As i'm the one that started this i would like to point out some other stuff.

1. I brought this up as its an increasing thing that i see happening as I personally don't like when people make money off something i shouldn't be. (This don't reflect our licences for DoubleDoorDev as this is a personal view.)

2. We work just as hard as you do making the pack. Often dealing with people reporting issues 100 versions behind or for things that are out of our control because of the pack.

3. I honestly think Bacon did this with no intent to exploit it. I was only pointing out a bad trend in packs. (And games at that)

4. A bigger problem was noticeable from OTHER streams. People saying "Want to play this pack? Go sub to bacon to get it." (It wasn't only bacon building on the problem.)

I do not have a problem with bacon or anyone one making packs. I make my own packs and know the annoyances from every angle. Servers, Problems, Devs, whatever it might be.
I also often say that Pack developers have it the worst out of everyone. Dealing with stubborn devs. Dealing with incompetent users. People demanding things from them they can't provide or are willing to do. Launchers. Mod permissions. so on and so on. I do hope that what he did becomes something more people do. Early testing access for a small amount that is then split between all devs including the person making the pack. Its a great incentive to allowing your content into packs and will keep more devs from going completely insane.

As for the "First world problems" and "Drama Drama Drama" Im sorry to say but if people want stuff to change things need to be talked about bad or good. Some things may be sensationalized for attention grabbing but this doesn't change the fact that improvement can be made.

If you enjoy what people do you should support them within your means but that also doesn't mean that they should shove the "support" down your throat.
Hopefully someday our community won't be so hostile. (I don't deny that i haven't ever added to this.)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Im sorry to say but if people want stuff to change things need to be talked about bad or good. Some things may be sensationalized for attention grabbing but this doesn't change the fact that improvement can be made.

Has this thread become Fox News/MSNBC/CNN? I see it a lot around here now compared to just a year ago. I'm sorry if some of you eat that kind of crap up, but some of us immediately switch off once the sensationalism alarm bells start to ring, and then concern for said issue begins to plummet. If the issue cannot stand on it's own merits without sensationalizing it, is it really worthy?

Sure, have a discussion, but let's not make it more than it is. Your first post on the topic was just one big log on the fire, rather than trying for "improvement".

Reactions: SynfulChaot

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
"This mod may only be redistributed as part of a modpack, both public and private modpacks are allowed."
You could make a fork and distribute it together with another mod.
When there is no explicit license that allows it, you are not by default free to fork, modify and redistribute the code. Just the presence on Github does not make it free software.
I know that perfectly fine, but he allows for redistribution as long as it's in a modpack. You could (but shouldn't) redistribute a modified version in a modpack.
That's true. Hmm...
Code without a license is automatically All Rights Reserved.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what to think about the whole concept of money in these things. For me personally I would feel extremely obligated to continuously produce more content if I had even a small chance to make money off of it from something like Patreon. Might take the fun out of it. And I'd feel guilty if I had real life commitments like Roy...WittyYeti referred to.

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
Has this thread become Fox News/MSNBC/CNN? I see it a lot around here now compared to just a year ago. I'm sorry if some of you eat that kind of crap up, but some of us immediately switch off once the sensationalism alarm bells start to ring, and then concern for said issue begins to plummet. If the issue cannot stand on it's own merits without sensationalizing it, is it really worthy?

Sure, have a discussion, but let's not make it more than it is. Your first post on the topic was just one big log on the fire, rather than trying for "improvement".

Over the last year the minecraft community has gone through TONS of changes and has grown INCREDIBLY large. More news is just a byproduct of having this many minds constantly working. Whether that is exploiting something or general ideas.

If you think thats sensationalized then you really shouldn't be watching any news...
I purely pointed out a trend i'm seeing more and more people do on twitch. I never said "EVERYONE DISOWN HIM ITS WRONG OMG!" I merely said I am not happy people are doing this. Then stated i hope i'm not the only one. What people do with it after that isn't in my control as they are there own minds.
My second post doesn't only pertain to that issue but all issues in the community that do appear.

Also what bacon did in response to what happened could improve modding in general as its an amazing shift in ways things are done. More support for developers > more support for packs and mods > happier server owners and players.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, this falls under the catagory of not new but new to me. And I suspect it's new to most everybody. (Or at lest non pack makers.)
Extra bees is now a part of Binnies' mods. (We knew that.) As is his genectics machines. (Ditto.)
What most don't know is there is no way to remove or disable the machines in configs.
Also they only work with MJ. As is used to be part of Buildcraft but now can't be produced in any way buildcraft. (As far as I know.) But as there is only a hacky way to get it working (copying the MJ api from an old version of BC and paisting it into the mods zip.) I don't think I'm wrong.

But it gets better as this is a part of the Dwolf pack. So now that pack has all these bees with only forestry machines to use with them. :/
They actually had they had to add another mod to make it work with RF. :p

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, this falls under the catagory of not new but new to me. And I suspect it's new to most everybody. (Or at lest non pack makers.)
Extra bees is now a part of Binnies' mods. (We knew that.) As is his genectics machines. (Ditto.)
What most don't know is there is no way to remove or disable the machines in configs.
Also they only work with MJ. As is used to be part of Buildcraft but now can't be produced in any way buildcraft. (As far as I know.) But as there is only a hacky way to get it working (copying the MJ api from an old version of BC and paisting it into the mods zip.) I don't think I'm wrong.

But it gets better as this is a part of the Dwolf pack. So now that pack has all these bees with only forestry machines to use with them. :/
They actually had they had to add another mod to make it work with RF. :p
Can't blame binnie for people using dev builds though

Reactions: Padfoote

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I personally haven't noticed any difference with this fix. Might be because I'm also using FastCraft.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Noticing anything will It'll depend on how crappy your computer is. And your monitor. Most don't go past 60 FPS.
So, it's not "the source of all lag" than, just an honest error that can contribute to it. Fastcraft still needed to "fix" what ever Mojang derped up.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Its really hard to tell if I got any sort of improvement from the new forge. FPS has never been a huge problem for me, what tests my patience and makes me give up on worlds is mouse lag. Walking in straight lines, no problem. Looking around, jittery motion. It makes it really difficult to build anything. Thats what I want a fix for.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Its really hard to tell if I got any sort of improvement from the new forge. FPS has never been a huge problem for me, what tests my patience and makes me give up on worlds is mouse lag. Walking in straight lines, no problem. Looking around, jittery motion. It makes it really difficult to build anything. Thats what I want a fix for.

It's not the standard symptom, but you might toggle vsync and see if that affects it.

Reactions: NJM1564