Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda expected something of this sort to happen when you see "Minecraft modder for hire" on their twitter.

Whoa whoa whoa.... I just looked the pic... I definitely don't remember this person helping me make the ProPack for Lancey and the other Professionals at the time. SO I don't know what this is all about.

Edit! Apparently it's a different ProPack. I get kind of defensive on stuff like this apparently. That and it's early and I haven't had coffee

Last edited:

pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
pToByJq.png
What's going to be the difference between this a project e. Not including textures/models

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Not being shit? ;)
Don't insult the mod. The mod was all right.
The new guy and the desision to simply hand it over with out supervising him I could do with out.

What's going to be the difference between this a project e. Not including textures/models

Preferably it'll include...
A friendlily more communicative dev.
More than one guy working on it.
A proper forum thread.
And they won't name all the files after themselfes.

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
If you remake it exactly as please god use the new GUI config options in forge.... Also config the hell out of it. EMC per use on items, turn of certain abilities, remove items/blocks.
I have no clue why devs don't build this in automaticly as most options are not hard to add...

If you do the above and don't ignore the project or treat people like poop. I'll be all over that like flies on poop.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
If you remake it exactly as please god use the new GUI config options in forge.... Also config the hell out of it. EMC per use on items, turn of certain abilities, remove items/blocks.
I have no clue why devs don't build this in automaticly as most options are not hard to add...

If you do the above and don't ignore the project or treat people like poop. I'll be all over that like flies on poop.

I think most of those configs were in ProgectE. :?
But yah adding options like individually setting armor functions, armor value, emc drain, emc cost,,,

Last edited:

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
ProjectE had no configs (Other than EMC setting)... The new dev just added disabling of crafting to the blocks and thats it.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
ProjectE had no configs (Other than EMC setting)... The new dev just added disabling of crafting to the blocks and that's it.

Ah that's right other mods were used to block the creation of somethings.
Remember to include EMC values for things like glass pains and slabs. Because they were less than the value of cobble they didn't auto gen cobble. A simple fix would be to have the lowest value of world gen items like stone to default as something like 6 or 12.
You might also want to have processed goods equal to the value of unprocessed goods. Blacklisting the unprocessed ones.

I'm hoping for some dynamic mod integration in this new version as well.
Can you image blood magic integration. Converting items into blood and blood into EMC.

Or using various blood orbs as crafting material to help gate EE's progress. As config options only of coarse.

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
I thought this was fairly bit to share... but not new in modding exactly...
I assume most of you know who BaconDonut is. If you don't hes a fairly large twitch streamer.

So he came out with SkyFactory2 beta recently and he's giving it out to his subs only. It costs 4.99 to sub to him on twitch and to get into the beta of the pack which according to him is being released on January 1.

He tweeted this
hSc6v07.png

So i pointed out the obvious...
zzvMen8.png
(I saw it from siyliss retweet.)

Apparently making someone sub to you to get the pack early isn't a paywall.
eq1844U.png

I am EXTREMELY unimpressed with this trend in the twitch community. I hope i'm not the only one...

EDIT: If you are late to the party please watch this: http://www.twitch.tv/bacon_donut/v/3624159
Its... just... amasing. BaconDonut went beyond and above...

Last edited:

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I thought this was fairly bit to share... but not new in modding exactly...
I assume most of you know who BaconDonut is. If you don't hes a fairly large twitch streamer.

So he came out with SkyFactory2 beta recently and he's giving it out to his subs only. It costs 4.99 to sub to him on twitch and to get into the beta of the pack which according to him is being released on January 1.

He tweeted this
hSc6v07.png

So i pointed out the obvious...
zzvMen8.png
(I saw it from siyliss retweet.)

Apparently making someone sub to you to get the pack early isn't a paywall.
eq1844U.png

I am EXTREMELY unimpressed with this trend in the twitch community. I hope i'm not the only one...

You are not the only one, it's been a growing trend that I am not happy with. If it's a beta fine, but release it out as a Beta to everyone or don't release it at all and keep it private and have testers. That's what most of use pack makers do.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I will agree on this. Streamers make $2000 in a sitting by offering all sorts of incentives and people love them for it; we make an adfly link and out come the pitchforks. And do not get me started on the hate having a patreon generates...

I think part of it might be publicity and personality; whereas streamers are often like the "popular kid" who makes many friends, mod devs are kind of like the shy nerdy kids. :p

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't selling a modpack breaking the TOS?

Probably.

I don't mind closed testing phases, they're perfectly fine: a few reliable people you know helping you squash major bugs and fix major balancing issues. But, making people pay for it? For a friggin modpack?! No, this isn't a full game, this isn't even a total conversion thing, its just a hunk of mods the author likes slapped together, configured, tweaked, and tested. I respect that a good pack takes a fair bit of work, but it doesn't take enough work to put testing versions behind a paywall. Adfly links are perfectly fine, put it behind one of them, if ya want. But don't put 'em behind a freakin paywall.

Reactions: PierceSG

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I guess technically they're paying for a "subscription" on Twitch (whatever that means) and not for the pack.