Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
17 going on 18, oops. Seeenior in high school and all that fun almost-adult age is coming soon. Help me.
And that's your choice, 10P, if you are worried then you'll just be. It's cool that you're still working on it despite no public releases, though. ouo

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
For those of you that care, I want to clarify my decision to pull Plant Mega Pack (PMP) from the internet. For now.

My decision is primarily due to Microsoft's purchase of Mojang, but there are other reasons which I won't go into here.

To be blunt, I don't trust Microsoft. Any promise that they provide like "things won't change" has very little merit with me. I don't trust them, and if I'm guilty of anything here it is for being honest about a company that is money-driven, not community driven.

This is a new adventure for MS - they've never done this before, and I don't have the confidence that they will get it right. Sorry MS, your history of games, in particular how you've pushed the PC market aside in favor of Xbox, has not done anything positive for me to trust you in any way.

I am continuing to develop PMP, it is just not available on the internet for Microsoft to 'acquire'. I don't know what will happen with licensing, agreements, mod developers and so on. Yes, I fear the unknown. I am very protective of the code that I have spent over a year of very long hours developing. I've worked very hard to make Plant Mega Pack, and I don't want the clutches of Microsoft to sink into it and take it away.

I feel horrible for my fans, for me and for the future of PMP. I am sorry.
Thank you for clarifying, but I have an idea...you could make a .onion website only accessible on the deep web and put a download there. I doubt MS would go there for anything because if they did it could end...let's just say very badly.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
For those of you that care, I want to clarify my decision to pull Plant Mega Pack (PMP) from the internet. For now.

My decision is primarily due to Microsoft's purchase of Mojang, but there are other reasons which I won't go into here.

To be blunt, I don't trust Microsoft. Any promise that they provide like "things won't change" has very little merit with me. I don't trust them, and if I'm guilty of anything here it is for being honest about a company that is money-driven, not community driven.

This is a new adventure for MS - they've never done this before, and I don't have the confidence that they will get it right. Sorry MS, your history of games, in particular how you've pushed the PC market aside in favor of Xbox, has not done anything positive for me to trust you in any way.

I am continuing to develop PMP, it is just not available on the internet for Microsoft to 'acquire'. I don't know what will happen with licensing, agreements, mod developers and so on. Yes, I fear the unknown. I am very protective of the code that I have spent over a year of very long hours developing. I've worked very hard to make Plant Mega Pack, and I don't want the clutches of Microsoft to sink into it and take it away.

I feel horrible for my fans, for me and for the future of PMP. I am sorry.
I'm confident you don't need to worry about your fans. Folks are already beginning to reassemble the mod under new control.

The problem with abandoning a project like this is that there's nothing stopping someone else filling the void.

Best of luck.

10paktimbits

Jul 29, 2019
I'm confident you don't need to worry about your fans. Folks are already beginning to reassemble the mod under new control.

The problem with abandoning a project like this is that there's nothing stopping someone else filling the void.

Best of luck.

Apparently it wasn't Microsoft I needed to be protective of.

I didn't abandon the mod - I just took it out of the spotlight.

Wow. Guess I just threw over a year of hard work right into the hands of some people who aren't creative enough to come up with something on their own.

Now I really feel horrible.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Apparently it wasn't Microsoft I needed to be protective of.
I didn't abandon the mod - I just took it out of the spotlight.
Wow. Guess I just threw over a year of hard work right into the hands of some people who aren't creative enough to come up with something on their own.
One of many reasons I don't mod. You're tacking onto someone else's project rather than starting your own. Where do you draw the line for "personal creativity" there?

SimiIarly, I worry about the idea of committing my time to the aether. Once its out there, its no longer mine, and the only thing stopping people from ripping me off is common courtesy and a sort of tradition. But once I start making bold statements by withholding my project, I lose that goodwill.

In this case, to be fair, you said you'd made the decision to "abandon all minecraft-related modding" and that the mod was "officially abandoned for minecraft." Statements like these -- possibly said in the heat of a moment -- can come back to be a pain in the ass.

I suppose were our roles reversed, I'd backtrack: I'd attempt to put the project on permanent hiatus until you were satisfied that your work wouldn't be used in ways you weren't happy with. But this would mean trying to reestablish your official hold on the project with an official thread and everything.

Seriously, a pain in the ass.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
When people like something and someone takes it away from them, they don't just shrug and do without. That's not human nature. They find a way to get it again anyways. And that's been demonstrated in the Minecraft modding community time and time again. The only 'protection' one has is if you're a big name in the community, such as Eloraam, and that still only works for a while. Until people get tired of waiting. And then they take it upon themselves to recreate what they no longer have. It's the reason that many others that are leaving the scene are leaving their projects to the community. Because they know that if they don't, the community will just reverse engineer and remake them. It's not about creativity. It's about keeping what they already had.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

...I have no response to this...actually I do

/rant
Ok so here I go. It is highly unlikely these guys aren't creative enough to come up with something on their own. It is however much more likely that they love your mod and want to continue it. Thus I believe you should be grateful that someone likes your mod enough to continue it. If you had said you would continue it and provide downloads people probably wouldn't have done this now would they? Also, I think that this attitude is terrible. It brings about a sense of entitlement that people won't take your stuff and do something with it when you won't. Try to be a better person in the future. As this is unacceptable. This attitude is like that of a baby not wanting to share. I would be so honored if I discontinued something and someone took away their time to continue it. So in the future try to have a better attitude you ungrateful swine
/rant over

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...I have no response to this...actually I do

/rant
Ok so here I go. It is highly unlikely these guys aren't creative enough to come up with something on their own. It is however much more likely that they love your mod and want to continue it. Thus I believe you should be grateful that someone likes your mod enough to continue it. If you had said you would continue it and provide downloads people probably wouldn't have done this now would they? Also, I think that this attitude is terrible. It brings about a sense of entitlement that people won't take your stuff and do something with it when you won't. Try to be a better person in the future. As this is unacceptable. This attitude is like that of a baby not wanting to share. I would be so honored if I discontinued something and someone took away their time to continue it. So in the future try to have a better attitude you ungrateful swine
/rant over
Bit too strong :p

As much as I dislike someone taking their ball and going home, I still have mecha respect for 10pak for producing a mod in the first place.

We all make mistakes in the heat of the moment.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I dislike someone taking their ball and going home, I still have mecha respect for 10pak for producing a mod in the first place.

We all make mistakes in the heat of the moment.
  1. To me it still doesn't give him the right as many other modders exist
  2. True to true
Perhaps a bit too far, mate. He was doing the work with no expectation of recompense in the first place.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk
  1. Probably a little bit to far
  2. So is every other modder(except Patreon, but that is kinda different because donations), this makes it irrelevant

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Probably a little bit to far
  2. So is every other modder(except Patreon, but that is kinda different because donations), this makes it irrelevant

Well, not entirely. Let me try to find an example to demonstrate that...

Let us say you are in a group of 50 people, and you are each given a chocolate bar. You really want the chocolate bar but the other 49 immediately give theirs away to random people.

I then approach you and demand your chocolate bar, on the basis that everyone else has given theirs away. Are you then a bad person if you want to keep your chocolate?

"Because everyone else is doing it" has never been a really strong justification for anything. While pretty much everyone modding knows they aren't getting paid for it, this shouldn't devalue the fact that they're giving you stuff that you want, for free, and at the expense of their own time.

I understand your position, but as someone who creates content for a living (I'm a writer) I understand his as well. I provide everything on my personal blog for free. But I will still go for the throat if anyone tries to claim it as their own work.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I would've thought going closed source and removing the mod from the internet would be one of the worst things to do to keep the mod from microsoft's hands.
Not that I think you'd go open source - as you're attidute seems to directly oppose it, but it's much harder to steal and close down something that's open to everyone already. Another modder who might have just wanted to make the mod better, could instead of creating a clone, just suggest and push some changes directly to the mod.

Sure, it makes the code easier to get ahold of, but do you seriously think if MS decides it 'owns' all mods and wants all of the code for them they can't pressure you with an army of lawyers?

anyway, my 2c

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Let us say you are in a group of 50 people, and you are each given a chocolate bar. You really want the chocolate bar but the other 49 immediately give theirs away to random people.

I then approach you and demand your chocolate bar, on the basis that everyone else has given theirs away. Are you then a bad person if you want to keep your chocolate?

"Because everyone else is doing it" has never been a really strong justification for anything. While pretty much everyone modding knows they aren't getting paid for it, this shouldn't devalue the fact that they're giving you stuff that you want, for free, and at the expense of their own time.

I understand your position, but as someone who creates content for a living (I'm a writer) I understand his as well. I provide everything on my personal blog for free. But I will still go for the throat if anyone tries to claim it as their own work.

+1 for the analogy.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

Actually I would gladly give you the chocolate bar as I am a generous person :p
this shouldn't devalue the fact that they're giving you stuff that you want, for free, and at the expense of their own time.
So is the person decompiling and remaking it ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1412994745][/DOUBLEPOST]
+1 for the analogy.
I agree it is a good analogy

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

I don't think those that are recreating it are trying to claim it as their own work. Well ... maybe their own work, but not their own ideas and concepts. All the 'remade' mods I've seen have been pretty damn open about the fact they're remakes. BluePower, Project Red, Router Reborn, Soul Shards Reborn, Project E, ... the list goes on. Each are the work of their creators, but each also pays their respect to the creator of the original.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think those that are recreating it are trying to claim it as their own work. Well ... maybe their own work, but not their own ideas and concepts. All the 'remade' mods I've seen have been pretty damn open about the fact they're remakes. BluePower, Project Red, Router Reborn, Soul Shards Reborn, Project E, ... the list goes on. Each are the work of their creators, but each also pays their respect to the creator of the original.
Didn't mean to imply that; I generally support people who, hmm, reinvent dead mods or repurpose part of a mod into another one. You could argue that TE is in some ways a clone of IC2; it also happens to be awesome.

I just mean that I understand what it means to be possessive of the things you've created.

Reactions: SynfulChaot