Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Because it's a simple question that just regards the liscence. Depending on the liscence, one is illegal and the other isn't, or both are legal. This doesn't require a discussion, it's just a fact.
You're opinion to dismiss doesn't rule out anyone else's desire to not dismiss it. The fact remains that Microsoft hasn't said what they're going to change with Minecraft so discussion is useless outside of baseless speculation. Nevertheless that thread has hundreds of replies. More to the point, your statement would be more effective and helpful with regards to citing the licences you're implying knowledge of. Even moreso, by citing said licenses, you could further prove or disprove any infringement claims with regards to the RP2, BluePower discussion. Such a pure factual analysis would go light years towards eliminating the cloudiness of the original question.

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
@RedBoss
I understand the difference. If we were to take a different example; rotational power.
2 mods spring to mind- RotaryCraft and Mekanism.
Both mods use a system of torque and rotational speed to transmit power and drive machines.
They use the same idea- but interpret it rather differently, both resulting in unique content.​
I think you got something messed up there

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Appreciating that AE2 updates are typically done in batches, I felt this rv2-alpha update from Wednesday was particularly interesting, as it contains a change that I believe will be of interest to many. As such, I am posting it here. Please don't beat me.
Well that's certainly interesting that one of the first changes since Algo announced he was stepping down is optional disabling of one of the big changes from AE1. Personally though I'll be keeping channels activated as it makes AE just a little bit less plug-and-play and require a little bit of thought.

Reactions: RenzosNips

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
A copy of a part of red power. Red power that hadn't bin updated in over a year. By a dev that hadn't bin herd from in over a year.
The idea of making electronic circuitry in minecraft using redstone is a simple one. One that any number of people have probably had over the years. The form of the mod is using universal electronic circuitry symbols made using the repeater and torches as a base.
So should no one make a mod like that simply because someone already did. Can you imagine a mod like that and not think of designs almost identical to what she created?

The idea might be the same. But the code is different. They put in the effort to recreate it. They earned the right to have it.
And it's not like they are trying to say that they came up with the idea by themselves.
I never said it was a bad thing :p I just said it is definitely a straight copy :p

Reactions: RedBoss

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
Well that's certainly interesting that one of the first changes since Algo announced he was stepping down is optional disabling of one of the big changes from AE1. Personally though I'll be keeping channels activated as it makes AE just a little bit less plug-and-play and require a little bit of thought.

What's even more interesting is that it was Algo that made the change. I can only speculate on the 'what made him change his mind now', and would likely get it wrong regardless, but I do feel that it has just (re)opened up AE to a larger audience.

For my part, I love that it is an option. There are a lot of players who really enjoy the extra thought that the channel system required. I'm equally confident that there are many who will be relieved by this change. I'm overjoyed both are now able to have the AE2 experience they most enjoy.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
You're opinion to dismiss doesn't rule out anyone else's desire to not dismiss it. The fact remains that Microsoft hasn't said what they're going to change with Minecraft so discussion is useless outside of baseless speculation. Nevertheless that thread has hundreds of replies. More to the point, your statement would be more effective and helpful with regards to citing the licences you're implying knowledge of. Even moreso, by citing said licenses, you could further prove or disprove any infringement claims with regards to the RP2, BluePower discussion. Such a pure factual analysis would go light years towards eliminating the cloudiness of the original question.
People could just google this stuff, which is why I didn't spend time writing it up, but since you asked for it...

BluePower is under the GPL3 (GNU Generic Public Liscence). The mod is free and must always be free. People can redistribute it as long as they do so for free and credit the authors. If someone copies the code and provide a source to the BluePower, stating that they created it and have all rights to it, then that's fine. This liscence is fairly open and you can do almost anything with it.*

RedPower on the other hand is strictly copyrighted. Eloraam never provided an actual liscence it follows, so I assume it is under copyright law. Literally doing anything with the code or mod without Eloraam's permission is infringement of copyright and she can file for a lawsuit (assuming it doesn't get thrown out).*

tumblr_mmcw8mofwG1r5xzspo1_400.jpg

*These are simply my interpretations of the GPL3 and copyright law and therefore may not be 100% accurate due to the fact that I'm not a lawyer.

Reactions: VapourDrive

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
What's even more interesting is that it was Algo that made the change. I can only speculate on the 'what made him change his mind now', and would likely get it wrong regardless, but I do feel that it has just (re)opened up AE to a larger audience.

For my part, I love that it is an option. There are a lot of players who really enjoy the extra thought that the channel system required. I'm equally confident that there are many who will be relieved by this change. I'm overjoyed both are now able to have the AE2 experience they most enjoy.
I'm not sure if I'm going to switch channels off, or keep them on... probably off.
For me they weren't difficult to figure out - It's not that the network takes more "intelligent design", you just shove p2p networks everywhere, and that just required more cable. With cable being more expensive in AE2 already, that was what's frustrating about channels to me, from an elegant single cable to needing a web of random p2p cables all over the place, and the costs go up and up...

It was constant "Oh F#@% I need another channel..." *shoehorns in another p2p tunnel*, that's not 'intelligent design', that's just spider-webbing cables.
Granted, with a lot more effort I could rip up all the cables in my base, reorganise them and figure out how many channels go where etc, to optimise my p2p network. But seriously, did anyone actually do that?.

Let's see... reasons to keep them on.... uh... I'm drawing a blank....

I'll probably keep thinking about it until I'm up to using AE in my current world... hrm...

Reactions: NJM1564

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Ah. Well that just gets into legal crap, so uh, I'll be sticking to lurking for a bit :p

I really don't care much for the legal side of this- this is [was] a discussion of the moral aspects of the issue.

I think you got something messed up there

Resonant Induction- My bad; sorry for any confusion.
I'll fix that earlier post.
Thanks for the heads up

Reactions: RedBoss

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't care much for the legal side of this- this is [was] a discussion of the moral aspects of the issue.

Morally anyone who was sick to death of waiting for Red Power to get updated isn't going to care a flying flip about morals.

It should be interesting to see what happens if Red Power gets updated. Some might switch back but many or even most might stick with blue power. Simply because they can't trust RPs dev not to vanish for years again with out waring.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing morally wrong with making a highly similar piece of software to one that already exists. Period. There are many reasons to 'duplicate' software. Unavailability. Incompatibility. Lack of features. Disagreement with licensing. Price. The list goes on.

The only real moral wrong is copying code. Functionality is fine to copy. I can guarantee that each and every one of you saying that it's wrong uses software that copied it's functionality from another. Sometimes to the point of basically being clones of the 'original'. Many pieces of software we use today is 'duplicated' from another. OpenOffice/LibreOffice is basically Microsoft Office. GIMP is basically Photoshop. Chrome and Firefox? Same thing as Internet Explorer or, if you look back further in history, Netscape Navigator.

Now we may call it uncreative, yes. Hard to argue with that. But there isn't anything wrong with that.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing morally wrong with making a highly similar piece of software to one that already exists. Period. There are many reasons to 'duplicate' software. Unavailability. Incompatibility. Lack of features. Disagreement with licensing. Price. The list goes on.

The only real moral wrong is copying code. Functionality is fine to copy. I can guarantee that each and every one of you saying that it's wrong uses software that copied it's functionality from another. Sometimes to the point of basically being clones of the 'original'. Many pieces of software we use today is 'duplicated' from another. OpenOffice/LibreOffice is basically Microsoft Office. GIMP is basically Photoshop. Chrome and Firefox? Same thing as Internet Explorer or, if you look back further in history, Netscape Navigator.

Now we may call it uncreative, yes. Hard to argue with that. But there isn't anything wrong with that.
Sometimes I buy store-brand products instead of name-brand.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

Reactions: gallowglass

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Morally anyone who was sick to death of waiting for Red Power to get updated isn't going to care a flying flip about morals.

If someone isn't going to give a 'flying flip' about morals, then that someone is in the wrong community.
The reason a lot of us choose to support FTB is because FTB made a point of standing up for modder's rights and integrity in a time when taking rather than asking was mainstream and callously accepted by the masses.​

Given the context of my original question, BluePower/RedPower was just used as the current example.
I've seen some fairly good points about why is isn't 'wrong' as such, but it doesn't really feel 'right' either.

Suppose we were to carry on- implement the 'wrong' concept for the 'right' reason [community misses Xmod as author left- so Xcopy is brought out]
How long should we wait before its considered acceptable to bring out an update via Xcopy?
And where will it stand should the original mod author surface?

Also considering the potential secondary and tertiary consequences of inadvertently doing the wrong thing for the right reason- in effect saying if you don't update, then we will update for you with or without your consent.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If someone isn't going to give a 'flying flip' about morals, then that someone is in the wrong community.
The reason a lot of us choose to support FTB is because FTB made a point of standing up for modder's rights and integrity in a time when taking rather than asking was mainstream and callously accepted by the masses.​

Given the context of my original question, BluePower/RedPower was just used as the current example.
I've seen some fairly good points about why is isn't 'wrong' as such, but it doesn't really feel 'right' either.

Suppose we were to carry on- implement the 'wrong' concept for the 'right' reason [community misses Xmod as author left- so Xcopy is brought out]
How long should we wait before its considered acceptable to bring out an update via Xcopy?
And where will it stand should the original mod author surface?

Also considering the potential secondary and tertiary consequences of inadvertently doing the wrong thing for the right reason- in effect saying if you don't update, then we will update for you with or without your consent.
I agree with everything you said. However, not everybody using/waiting for Redpower is in the FTB community.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, if someone updated my mod after I had an extensive leave or couldn't update for whatever reason, I'd be flattered. The fact that someone gave a damn enough to continue my mod after I had left means that people really liked it. If I came back, I'd probably try and pick my mod back up from whoever updated it. Would I blame anyone if the community wouldn't want/let me to take it back? Maybe. I, like most others, would probably be a little hurt that the community I cared about discarded me once someone took my place. Can't really blame them though if I took a major leave of absence. If I couldn't take it up, or help with the mod at all, I'd just move on to some other project or something. Not all modders share the same ideals as me so I can't exactly speak for them. Morals differ person to person.

Does a clone feel right? No, hardly at all. There's a lot of thing certain modders to that others don't. Small, minute details that others can't replicate. In Thaumic Tinkerer, Vazkii added a lot of references and small jokes within his mod. Once he passed it on, no more jokes or reference. It wasn't the same as it was before. It didn't make the mod bad, it just lost their touch and felt a bit awkward.

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, if someone updated my mod after I had an extensive leave or couldn't update for whatever reason, I'd be flattered. The fact that someone gave a damn enough to continue my mod after I had left means that people really liked it.

Most would but there is a bit of extra drama involved with Red Power. El refused to let anyone help with her mod. She refereed to it as her baby. :/

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Most would but there is a bit of extra drama involved with Red Power. El refused to let anyone help with her mod. She refereed to it as her baby. :/
I only wish that all abandoned babies were adopted.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
But wouldn't that technically be a modpack then?
Modpacks are always going to have problems. The FTB team are simply amazing at what they do, but it's very, very difficult to get multiple mods from multiple authors to play nicely, and there would (theoretically, ok) be far less of that in this situation.

And then there's the update situation to consider too.