Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
You are correct in saying that they are different, but as it currently stands there is almost no difference. I have not seen a single engine that creates RF that isn't a simple plug-and-play style setup, regardless of what mod it's from.

And Buildcraft isn't like that. The additional requirement of having to go into wooden pipes hardly counts for much. The various tiers of pipes? TE has 2 tiers that's all you really need. I certainly don't want to have to keep rebuilding my power network.

If you are talking about foristery boilers then allow me to remind you about big reactors. They can be as simple as the boilers or as complex as IC2 reactors if not more so.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
And Buildcraft isn't like that. The additional requirement of having to go into wooden pipes hardly counts for much. The various tiers of pipes? TE has 2 tiers that's all you really need. I certainly don't want to have to keep rebuilding my power network.

If you are talking about foristery boilers then allow me to remind you about big reactors. They can be as simple as the boilers or as complex as IC2 reactors if not more so.

A) I wasn't referring to BC in any way, shape, or form.
B) Two tiers. My point exactly.
C) Forestry doesn't have boilers.
D) Big Reactors is currently, to modify @YX33A's past statement on IC2 reactors, just a large box powered by yellow rocks. The roadmap for it indicates this will change in the future, but we aren't at that point yet.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
A) I wasn't referring to BC in any way, shape, or form.
B) Two tiers. My point exactly.
C) Forestry doesn't have boilers.
D) Big Reactors is currently, to modify @YX33A's past statement on IC2 reactors, just a large box powered by yellow rocks. The roadmap for it indicates this will change in the future, but we aren't at that point yet.

And Ic2's reactors are small boxes powered by green rocks. But if you want to make them efficient and powerful you have to work at it.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
It's still a single block plug-and-play system like the dynamos. The only difference is output, fuel, model, and texture. It's nothing groundbreaking to me, much less more interesting than a few hundred dynamos.
Amen
And Ic2's reactors are small boxes powered by green rocks. But if you want to make them efficient and powerful you have to work at it.
And it's just as bad

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Work at it meaning grab a design from the internet, just like the IC2 reactors. Or just make it the size of a chunk, that puts out a stupid amount of power regardless of out optimal of a setup it is. Efficiency in terms of fuel consumption is a moot point with things like Magic Crops, bees, mining lasers, and boring machines.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Also, my next point. RF is entirely magic. It is a magic number that I pipe around in magic cables to magic boxes that I put x into to get y.

That's assuming people are using the conduits, when the standard comments I hear for a "power network" is to use tesseracts, further increasing the magic feel of it.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Ok here I go

• Depth

1. I see many of the dynamos seem very much plug and go
  2. there is no explanation of the power transfer just "magic"

• Complexity

1. Unlike Rotarycraft it is very easy to create a power grid again just plug and go
  2. Many people like to have a complex power system

• Punishment

1. I feel as if the punishment for using the system incorrectly should be stronger (i.e. referencing RotaryCraft again)
  2. Punishment should also be largely based on the tiering of the mod

• API Implementation

1. Haven't used your API soooo :p

First, KL was referring to what people could do in a mod, not if they could define what they meant in regards to his RF api. second (and most importantly, this should have been done in this thread, not what's new)

Seriously though, I understand there are those that love the depth and complexity of mods such as GT or RotaryCraft, that's awesome. Myself, I would rather spend time developing my base instead of trying to figure out do I have the right cable type (ala IC2) or whether I have the right balance in place to avoid explosions.

Keep in mind, this is my preference and I realize there are many who feel differently but ultimately my point is multiple power types is fine to appeal to the masses as long as it does not get too far out of control (what do we have, like 6-10 now) nor do I feel narrowing it down to just a couple of types is a good idea either.

Just my two cents.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
First, KL was referring to what people could do in a mod, not if they could define what they meant in regards to his RF api. second (and most importantly, this should have been done in this thread, not what's new)

Seriously though, I understand there are those that love the depth and complexity of mods such as GT or RotaryCraft, that's awesome. Myself, I would rather spend time developing my base instead of trying to figure out do I have the right cable type (ala IC2) or whether I have the right balance in place to avoid explosions.

Keep in mind, this is my preference and I realize there are many who feel differently but ultimately my point is multiple power types is fine to appeal to the masses as long as it does not get too far out of control (what do we have, like 6-10 now) nor do I feel narrowing it down to just a couple of types is a good idea either.

Just my two cents.
I love having people give their two cents (more money for me :p). Anyway, I am sorry for where I posted it. I put ignore on it now. We have a convo for this if you want to join

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
We're moving the debate to a convo, so anyone who wants to be added, let me know.
EDIT: Aaand ninja.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
We're moving the debate to a convo, so anyone who wants to be added, let me know.
EDIT: Aaand ninja.
I love having people give their two cents (more money for me :p). Anyway, I am sorry for where I posted it. I put ignore on it now. We have a convo for this if you want to join

May be to late but I want to see if anyone can corner KL in this debate

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2