Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
45e746aa75.png

We've decided on blue! \o/

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
A bit late to discussions again, but about the whole RF thingy. I don't really mind either way. I mean, in the packs that I play I use IC2, TE, and Mek and now that Electrical Age (also rotarycraft when it ever is stable for 1.7). If I really want my big reactor to fill a MFSU, I just, hook the whole system up to a Hydralicraft set up and turn RF into water pressure and then use one of the mod's fancy machines to turn said pressure into EU, and vice-versa if I wanted an IC2 nuclear reactor to fill a capacitor bank wall or resonant cells. For Mek, not really sure still need to dig into that mod past a few minor machines, and the same applies to ElAge but I know that the mod itself comes with a "let's convert our electricity to other kinds" box and backwards. They all seem to be nice and friendly and all compatible with each other in one way or another to me. Besides multiple versions of the same ore, but auto-dictionaries always work I guess. >.<

Centralizing a pack based on one power system is like saying, a modpack where only Thaumcraft and it's addons are allowed, with no sprinkling of other fun magical or techno-magical mods especially when they could technically be considered compatible, or at least that's what I think.

But hey, as I say in other matters, I'm just an idiot typing nonsense behind a laptop's keyboard, don't mind me a bit. *Poofs away in a poof of moose-shaped smoke*

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Let me just get this out of the way, I know nothing about coding so some of things I say may be totally wrong as they're based on second-hand knowledge.

One of the things KingLemming always talks about when discussing the RF api is it's flexibility, and I think he's actually said that it could mimic the behavior of MJ if a developer desired. If Covertjaguar's issue with MJ is the api and not the functionality of it in-game(which was the sense I got from his post), couldn't he just use the RF api to make a power-system that on the surface looks and acts just like MJ, but under the hood is actually RF? Players get the experience they're used to and CJ gets to use the API he prefers.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Let me just get this out of the way, I know nothing about coding so some of things I say may be totally wrong as they're based on second-hand knowledge.

One of the things KingLemming always talks about when discussing the RF api is it's flexibility, and I think he's actually said that it could mimic the behavior of MJ if a developer desired. If Covertjaguar's issue with MJ is the api and not the functionality of it in-game(which was the sense I got from his post), couldn't he just use the RF api to make a power-system that on the surface looks and acts just like MJ, but under the hood is actually RF? Players get the experience they're used to and CJ gets to use the API he prefers.

I was thinking much the same thing. Create a psudo power system. That uses the RF api but isn't RF nor connects to RF systems. Doable yes but I don't think the current API can do that.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019

This is probably the best solution. Other tech mods, such as RotaryCraft and PneumaticCraft, definitely should NOT go to RF. The fall of MJ and EU was due to isolation and a lack of meaningful differences and/or benefits between themselves and the RF ecosystem. RotaryCraft and PneumaticCraft, on the other hand, have enough differences in content, theme and function that they gain nothing by switching to RF but actually LOSE a good amount of gameplay.

Reactions: pc_assassin

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What depth? You could make a system identical to anything made with MJ using RF. Same with EU. But doing the reverse? Not likely to be able to happen.
Don't confuse machines and wires with the power system itself.

You are correct in saying that they are different, but as it currently stands there is almost no difference. I have not seen a single engine that creates RF that isn't a simple plug-and-play style setup, regardless of what mod it's from.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You are correct in saying that they are different, but as it currently stands there is almost no difference. I have not seen a single engine that creates RF that isn't a simple plug-and-play style setup, regardless of what mod it's from.
That doesn't mean someone can't make them, just that they haven't so far.

What would you consider a decent engine mechanic? Maybe someone'll make one.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That doesn't mean someone can't make them, just that they haven't so far.

Exactly, and I'm hoping someone gets creative with an engine system for RF other than the standard plug-and-play setup.
What would you consider a decent engine mechanic? Maybe someone'll make one.

Basically, anything that isn't a dynamo and that isn't just plug-and-play. Bit hard for me to come up with an RF style engine since I'm used to RotaryCraft's engines and BTW's system of mechanical power.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Exactly, and I'm hoping someone gets creative with an engine system for RF other than the standard plug-and-play setup.

Basically, anything that isn't a dynamo and that isn't just plug-and-play. Bit hard for me to come up with an RF style engine since I'm used to RotaryCraft's engines and BTW's system of mechanical power.
m8s, if anyone could do something Tabula Rasa style and make a mod that allows pack creators to make their own Dynamos, specifying textures and inputs/outputs...

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
m8s, if anyone could do something Tabula Rasa style and make a mod that allows pack creators to make their own Dynamos, specifying textures and inputs/outputs...
Hey, I was waiting for source code for Tabula Rusa for 1.7, though I could use CustomItems source...Anyway I think I will wait until I am more experienced to do something like that. For now I will do more custom and side-project stuff

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I would hate it. Dynamo spam is annoying as is, I don't want to be seeing dynamo spam with 50 different dynamos.
I would only like it if someone did something different, as you put it

Reactions: buggirlexpres