Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
People seem to have gone out of their way to lie, mislead and slander, especially on Twitter. For example claiming we said things we didn't say, or carefully snipping a forum screenshot to make it look like the opinion of a user is the view of the administration.
You have a responsibility for what happens on your forum. When you allow people to harass us on your forums, expect that we answer.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
You have a responsibility for what happens on your forum. When you allow people to harass us on your forums, expect that we answer.
This is also true. This is one of the reasons I love the FTB forums. If anyone harasses me or I harass anyone appropriate action will take place.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

tubbytoad42

Jul 29, 2019
True. I still cannot accept that what Serendipity did was right. It was entirely wrong and in legal violation of a lot of things. Really with the anonymity of the internet we can't know whether or not those people did it or if they didn't. And @tubbytoad42 even though it irks me to say this. You or your network's staff could be lying about what they said. It is a tough situation, but because yall clearly violated the law and my personal ethics it seems to me as if yall are the ones in the wrong here, and thus I will put my trust in others
I was mostly referring to people taking what other people said, and then claiming or implying that it was the view of the Serendipity administration. As far as I am aware no one on our staff had really commented on any of this apart from expressions of disappointment, but even if they did it would be their opinion and would not reflect that of Serendipity, much like your signature says your opinions do not reflect those of FTB.

The other thing I'd like to clarify is we didn't decide to close strictly because of the recent events, contrary to what a lot of people think. I alluded this in the post I linked above, it was more a situation of the straw which broke the camel's back - we realized that running the server wasn't enjoyable for us anymore, and that it was time for us to move on, or at least take a break.

This would be like saying that anything which was posted on the FTB forums could be interpreted as the view of the FTB team, and that they are responsible for every post since it's their forum. Besides the point though, we did delete a lot of things that people posted which were uncalled for. Anyway, I didn't really want to argue about it, just clear up that our views are not reflect by what others say.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
This
j9aM3KB.png
was not written by a staff member. You're making it look like it was representing their opinion.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This is also true. This is one of the reasons I love the FTB forums. If anyone harasses me or I harass anyone appropriate action will take place.
That and we're given reasonable freedoms with our [bad] language, and we can carry a very heated exchange or drive totally off topic as long as the thread flows.
For the most part the staff do a brilliant job of allowing us to be ourselves- only stepping in where its absolutely necessary rather than smiting everything with an iron fist.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I was mostly referring to people taking what other people said, and then claiming or implying that it was the view of the Serendipity administration. As far as I am aware no one on our staff had really commented on any of this apart from expressions of disappointment, but even if they did it would be their opinion and would not reflect that of Serendipity, much like your signature says your opinions do not reflect those of FTB.
Yes obviously. But if I said something insane I would definitely get kicked off the team. And if I said something that was border-line I better have a huge disclaimer above it
This would be like saying that anything which was posted on the FTB forums could be interpreted as the view of the FTB team, and that they are responsible for every post since it's their forum. Besides the point though, we did delete a lot of things that people posted which were uncalled for.
No it's not. It is saying that you have a responsibility to make sure no one is harassed on your forum. If anyone posted something that wasn't the view of the FTB team it would be fine, but if is was clearly harassment then it wouldn't

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
No it's not. It is saying that you have a responsibility to make sure no one is harassed on your forum. If anyone posted something that wasn't the view of the FTB team it would be fine, but if is was clearly harassment then it wouldn't
To be fair, in this thread sometimes other people are being defamed as well.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to bring up an old topic but..

I saw someone there made a good point

Protecting the mod authors from what exactly? Having their work exploited commercially? Better shut down the Youtubers, Twitchers, and FTB then.

Why do mod devs only care if their work is being sold on servers and such? Why do they allow people to make money off them from say a mod spotlight?

-----------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Why do mod devs only care if their work is being sold on servers and such? Why do they allow people to make money off them from say a mod spotlight?
This is my opinion and my opinion only
Because in instance one people are giving money to the server. Whereas in instance two youtube or something else is giving money to the content creator. The community isn't losing anything, in fact it is gaining something.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I guess a mod spotlight falls under fair use, and the actual mod is not being distributed (barring assets that can be seen or heard in the video).

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
*My opinion only, not FTB's o the PT's*

Mod spotlights can give a mod fame, so the mod authors don't mind, but on a server, it's much less likely to make people want to try a mod, ESPECIALLY if they resent paying for it or never tried it because they refused to pay for that part of a modpack.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
LPs/Spotlights ect aren't actually distributing/selling the mod in itself.
(audiovisual assets seen in the video are effectively unusable; banning that would mean banning screenshots).
The video cureator is producing creative goods, as opposed to supplying them.​

Though the symbiotic relationship between video creators and mod devs is fairly beneficial, its still good practice to ask first. (some devs may not appreciate a horde of fans stampeding through their personal space [threads/forums].)

Last edited:

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok let me propose a scenario.

I make a mod pack, afterwards I place a download link to the modpack on my website that has adds.

Is this breaking the devs terms?

(i don't have a website)

-----------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Ok let me propose a scenario.

I make a mod pack, afterwards I place a download link to the modpack on my website that has adds.

Is this breaking the devs terms?

(i don't have a website)
I would accept 1-2 small ads. I would not accept any "adds" :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
What if the pack was behind adf.ly? Is that any different from a website because of the amount of ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.