Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
We are designing for users, and users don't look. There's nothing we can do about that besides educating people about it and making our logs easier to read. So we design for users that don't look at logs
Maybe I should open a GUI instead?

There you go:
MatSpwh.jpg

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not sure you developer types are familiar with them, but there are people out there who like to just use computers, not program them, and to them a crashlog is daunting and not at all clear even if they are able to read.

I think they are called *users*. Try to think like one every now and then.
Non-technical is not synonymous with lazy and/or brainless. You do not need a degree in computing or even an understanding of code to comprehend a log that starts with "THIS IS NOT A MOD BUG. DO NOT POST IT TO THE WEBSITE" or "This is what went wrong, fix it like this, do not report this". If someone is too lazy or too stupid to read that, then I do not care about their opinions or their well-being.

To say that "users" necessarily are incapable of even the most basic tasks is not only insulting to a large fraction - if not the majority of them - it is basically the same as saying "what's the point of all those indicators on a car dashboard? Not everyone is an engineer!".

Additionally, neither I nor the other developers have time to deal with people who are making that basic of mistakes, especially ones too lazy/dumb to try and solve it themselves, as they will often say something to the effect of "this is too hard, you fix it for me" (do you have any idea how many people come to me demanding I fix their packs for them, because they are too lazy to even LAUNCH it themselves?) or require ten different explanations of how an ID conflict works.

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Non-technical is not synonymous with lazy and/or brainless. You do not need a degree in computing or even an understanding of code to comprehend a log that starts with "THIS IS NOT A MOD BUG. DO NOT POST IT TO THE WEBSITE" or "This is what went wrong, fix it like this, do not report this". If someone is too lazy or too stupid to read that, then I do not care about their opinions or their well-being.

To say that "users" necessarily are incapable of even the most basic tasks is not only insulting to a large fraction - if not the majority of them - it is basically the same as saying "what's the point of all those indicators on a car dashboard? Not everyone is an engineer!".

Additionally, neither I nor the other developers have time to deal with people who are making that basic of mistakes, especially ones too lazy to try and solve it themselves, as they will often say something to the effect of "this is too hard, you fix it for me" or require ten different explanations of how an ID conflict works.
Most crash logs don't start with that. They start with the rest of the fluff. Thus why a lot of users don't read them. And truly Reika you're right, no one in their right minds have the time for it...or to design for it....

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Most crash logs don't start with that. They start with the rest of the fluff. Thus why a lot of users don't read them. And truly Reika you're right, no one in their right minds have the time for it...or to design for it....
I am not talking about general logs like "NPE at class at class at class at class", and noone complains when users post that. The discussion was entirely about the fact some players even refuse to read logs like mine, and mcalpha was defending that as reasonable.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I am not talking about general logs like "NPE at class at class at class at class", and noone complains when users post that. The discussion was entirely about the fact some players even refuse to read logs like mine, and mcalpha was defending that as reasonable.
I meant the first part of the file goes something like this
Code:
//Did I do that?
Minecraft crashed
Some users see that, freak out, run away to the issues and post the log. They have built up an understanding based on previous crashes of their game or others games that after that there is going to be something they can't decipher. This may be stupid, but unfortunately it is the truth. We have 3 options
  1. Design for this inevitability that people are scared of what's in the crash log
  2. Educate people that it isn't all hard to understand
  3. Ignore the problem
As mod mc devs we generally choose option #3. I feel as if this is inherently wrong and we should focus more on doing #1 by making our logs easier to read (difficulty of log ratings at the beginning maybe?) and #2 through forums like that

Reactions: Padfoote and 1SDAN

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I meant the first part of the file goes something like this
Code:
//Did I do that?
Minecraft crashed
Some users see that, freak out, run away to the issues and post the log. They have built up an understanding based on previous crashes of their game or others games that after that there is going to be something they can't decipher. This may be stupid, but unfortunately it is the truth. We have 3 options
  1. Design for this inevitability that people are scared of what's in the crash log
  2. Educate people that it isn't all hard to understand
  3. Ignore the problem
As mod mc devs we generally choose option #3. I feel as if this is inherently wrong and we should focus more on doing #1 by making our logs easier to read (difficulty of log ratings at the beginning maybe?) and #2 through forums like that
I go for a blend of #1 and #2, but the problem with #1 is that it cannot solve the problem alone, and the problem with #2 is that many many people resist being educated ("I wouldn't have to understand a crash log if you just did your job and programmed right!/I don't have time to do this, this is your job/Not everyone has a degree, you know") or are incapable of understanding ("you said it crashed because both IDs were 45, but I made them both 46 and it crashed the same way!/"I made one of the IDs 348954894589, why does it still crash?").

Status
Not open for further replies.