Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
SEVENTH GRADE!? SEVENTH GRADE!? There was a person, who devoted his time with you, for two entire years, just to do this!? Their ambition in life was to keep you a loner with low self-esteem and get you to KILL YOURSELF!? Why would ANYONE do this for two entire years!?
Fortunately, things like this land people in jail now. :D

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Well if the currently used code is broken, terribly designed, and generally an unintelligible mess... fixing that is going to involve breaking it. Don't most code overhauls break stuff?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Like? From what I heard, 1.8 runs quite a bit better on nearly everyone's machines (with the usual exceptions of every patch breaking MC 100% for an everchanging tiny percentage of people). Also what else would you expect from Mojang/Microsoft? Clean, Logical, Efficient Code?

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Like? From what I heard, 1.8 runs quite a bit better on nearly everyone's machines (with the usual exceptions of every patch breaking MC 100% for an everchanging tiny percentage of people). Also what else would you expect from Mojang/Microsoft? Clean, Logical, Efficient Code?
No, lol.
From what I have seen, it's the other way around. 1.8 has a large amount of visual errors, performance issues, random errors and just stupid stuff. For the majority of people, 1.8 is much worse compared to 1.7.10. (From my experience)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No, 1.8, despite claims, is far less efficiently written than 1.7. To give you a sense of what I mean, they decided to replace all x,y,z integer arguments with a BlockPos object that must be created fresh for every coordinate, saving a grand total of nanoseconds, costing a lot more on the GC.

People say that a lot of the MC code's mess comes from Notch being self-taught and learning as he programmed it, but judging from the changes since then, the same could be said for the rest of the MC team.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
And block states can only hold 4 bits of data (if you ignore rendering states), but have a significant overhead for boxing/unboxing, memory etc. and they don't even fully replace metadata. And the resulting code you have to write is longer.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Let me tell you a bit of a story. For most of my life, the number of friends I had could have been counted on the fingers of a fish (read: zero).
Then, one day (around grade 7, if I remember correctly), a miracle! Someone who was nice to me!
Fast-forward two years and I find out that they were not a friend at all, they were working to keep me isolated and friendless and destroy my self-image, and their ultimate goal - proudly confessed to me - was to get me to kill myself.
When experiences like that are not a crazy outlier, but fairly typical of the sorts of relationships people have to you (though fortunately there were only three with that end goal), you very quickly develop issues trusting others you do not know extensively well.
This may be the only time when I say this...
LET ME HUG YOU! :(

People are asshats, but that is just downright ridiculous! I was in a similar situation, but people realized I didn't like being around people and got really self-conscious around other people and I would share anything I had/do anything they wanted if it meant they'd leave me alone, so everyone was suddenly my friend wanting to sit next to me (I enjoyed the front table, right in front of the teacher, for most of my time at school, as it was the only place no one else would sit) and after a while they realized their "friend tactic" didn't work, so it turned into bullying, some people bringing up things they had seen me writing/posting on tumblr/etc. which meant that for the last 2 years of school I had a lot of homophobic/transphobic remarks coming my way, as well as a lot of degrading remarks about my eating habits, etc. However, I don't think any of them ever actually wanted me to kill myself!

That is a new low, even for idiots.
*reika hugging intensifies*

jss2a98aj

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, it's more "other things take higher priority" than "can't farm the parts". I only play warframe every week or so, and I live with a guy who plays it... a lot.
Eh, I was just hoping to play WF with someone new (only one person that I know actively plays it).

EDIT:
I'M SORRY POTATO!

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
No, 1.8, despite claims, is far less efficiently written than 1.7. To give you a sense of what I mean, they decided to replace all x,y,z integer arguments with a BlockPos object that must be created fresh for every coordinate, saving a grand total of nanoseconds, costing a lot more on the GC.

People say that a lot of the MC code's mess comes from Notch being self-taught and learning as he programmed it, but judging from the changes since then, the same could be said for the rest of the MC team.

Hell, minus one Visual BASIC 6 class I had during my freshman year in high school, I'm also entirely self-taught, and even I wouldn't have made half the dumbass mistakes Notch made. A lot of those mistakes (like sending the entire texture library to the GPU every tick) aren't even amateur mistakes, they reek of pure, simple laziness. It really tells you something about just how badly Minecraft was designed when vanilla 1.7, no mods, not even Forge, ran worse on my old laptop than Guild Wars 2, a game which is many times more graphically intense and generally far faster in pace. This is 1.7, mind you, this is supposed to be the unofficial "getting our shit together" update.

My problem isn't that Mojang adds crap I don't like; honestly, I like ambiance in the world and the little critters help flesh it out and make it more interesting. My problem is that Mojang just...isn't all that good at what it does. They're supposed to be professionals, now, and yet they keep making neophyte-level mistakes.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Hell, minus one Visual BASIC 6 class I had during my freshman year in high school, I'm also entirely self-taught, and even I wouldn't have made half the dumbass mistakes Notch made. A lot of those mistakes (like sending the entire texture library to the GPU every tick) aren't even amateur mistakes, they reek of pure, simple laziness. It really tells you something about just how badly Minecraft was designed when vanilla 1.7, no mods, not even Forge, ran worse on my old laptop than Guild Wars 2, a game which is many times more graphically intense and generally far faster in pace. This is 1.7, mind you, this is supposed to be the unofficial "getting our shit together" update.

My problem isn't that Mojang adds crap I don't like; honestly, I like ambiance in the world and the little critters help flesh it out and make it more interesting. My problem is that Mojang just...isn't all that good at what it does. They're supposed to be professionals, now, and yet they keep making neophyte-level mistakes.
Not to mention they ignore EVERYTHING the modding community does.
Mojang have all rights to use anything in any mod, but what have they added similar to stuff in mods?
Hoppers (chutes from Buildcraft), Horses (from Mo' Creatures), Stained Glass (Forestry - originally), and a few other minor things like more stone types, etc.
But nothing impressive.
The boss mobs are still laughably easy, and there's not much to do after the end/wither

Reactions: Strikingwolf

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
At least part of that is likely due to Mojang being more beholden to fan forces than modders. If Mojang pisses off the fans, they could lose a fair amount of money. If a modder pisses off the fans, they might lose a bit of ad revenue, but the impact on them is less significant, more times than not. If you add a real boss, then people will bitch that its too hard, that they can't just hunker down behind diamond armour and plink away at them with an infinity bow until they go away. As for the "worse than what's found in the actual mods" version of modded content that's been shoved into vanilla, they seem to be cherry-picking the things that will take the least work to implement, even if they half-ass it. Actual, working content takes actual work, and that's difficult. We can't have that for our precious Mojangstas, even if most of them have more money than the rest of us will see in our entire lives.

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, My friend just gave me a basic crash course and told me about the wiki and I was set.
My crash course consisted of how to hide in the castle in the Xbox 360 demo. It also featured tutorials on messing up basic redstone, smashing through paintings and doors, and punching stone bricks with a fist.
I don't even. I JUST DON'T EVEN.
I wonder if I should orange.
I'll stuff you in a sporange. (actual thing, means a sac where spores are grown, the only thing that rhymes with orange)

EDIT: On the bright side, I've finally reached this section of the thread!
Still better than grading reports written in textspeak and lolcats, which promptly earned a zero from me.
A zero? Isn't that a bit harsh?

Holy cow. An excerpt of the minimum that I do/expect to see in an academic setting is here:
The incident started on September 13, 1987 when the man responsible for guarding the radioactive source used a sick day to attend a showing of “Herbie goes Bananas”, leaving the building unguarded . . .
1987! Only the prophecy foretold!!11!

I'm from central Illinois - I pronounce it "suhtistics", along with "warsh" and "libary".
You have been banished.

. . . yet I frequently forget Voldemort's name . . .
It wouldn't be hard to if you're never allowed to say it. .;,;.

BTW Rav, why don't you do that whole "Pretend you're your avatar when it comes up" thing anymore?
Oh, I'd love to start doing that. "I have no opinion on this because I am a circle with an arrow sticking out."

Oh god...
2IpNMGL.png
OH GOD NO.

You could say that they are...punny.....
That one's so overused it's not even a joke anymore.

I am literately speechless. What a moron.
Literately speechless?
So, you can't read things out loud?

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-27%20at%202.23.37%20PM.png

Happened a while back on a Skype group I'm in.
1.8 is epic. The commands are awesome, the new features are awesome, so on and so forth.

No. Clue.

Someone admits they are wrong and apologizes on the internet? Next thing you know Xycraft will be out.
Hey, I remember this quote from somewhere...

Definitely ^^
This ALSO gives me a weird sense of satisfaction.

Is that not every parents', who are strapped for cash, dream? Buy 1 game that the child will play for months if not years?
Not mine, they hate the game because of how often I play it.

1.8 was mostly devoted to breaking the code even more.
No, no it wasn't. It had to add some new code for the block model packs, but other than that no...
Or are you referring to the small framerate drop?
Either way, at least now Mojang is trying to fix all the broken code in the game. That's good, at least.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
A zero? Isn't that a bit harsh?
But very much deserved.

This may be the only time when I say this...
LET ME HUG YOU! :(

People are asshats, but that is just downright ridiculous! I was in a similar situation, but people realized I didn't like being around people and got really self-conscious around other people and I would share anything I had/do anything they wanted if it meant they'd leave me alone, so everyone was suddenly my friend wanting to sit next to me (I enjoyed the front table, right in front of the teacher, for most of my time at school, as it was the only place no one else would sit) and after a while they realized their "friend tactic" didn't work, so it turned into bullying, some people bringing up things they had seen me writing/posting on tumblr/etc. which meant that for the last 2 years of school I had a lot of homophobic/transphobic remarks coming my way, as well as a lot of degrading remarks about my eating habits, etc. However, I don't think any of them ever actually wanted me to kill myself!

That is a new low, even for idiots.
*reika hugging intensifies*
Purrrrrrrrrr. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.