Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well there are miles between a simple redstone contraption and a real computer.
And these simple graphics are indeed remarkable when you compare Minecraft to other contemporary games.
Actually, it remarkable that minecraft has such an "open market" that no one in the news cares about... Mods? texture packs? WHOLE NEW SOUNDTRACKS?!?! All for free? Wow, thats great for children and parents alike is it not, the parent only has to spend £20 on one game, that already has "infinite" possibilities, and then they can add more infinite to their infinity? FOR FREE! Is that not every parents', who are strapped for cash, dream? Buy 1 game that the child will play for months if not years?
Then there's also the fact that they (the children) may try their hand at creating a mod/texture pack/sound pack, which is highly creative, and being able to do that while being isolated at school (i.e. the child is bullied/excluded, so they spend all their time alone) means that they, if they distribute what they make, have the chance to make a lot of friends, and get suggestions, and learn new things, and a lot of other things too

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Actually, it remarkable that minecraft has such an "open market" that no one in the news cares about... Mods? texture packs? WHOLE NEW SOUNDTRACKS?!?! All for free? Wow, thats great for children and parents alike is it not, the parent only has to spend £20 on one game, that already has "infinite" possibilities, and then they can add more infinite to their infinity? FOR FREE! Is that not every parents', who are strapped for cash, dream? Buy 1 game that the child will play for months if not years?
Then there's also the fact that they (the children) may try their hand at creating a mod/texture pack/sound pack, which is highly creative, and being able to do that while being isolated at school (i.e. the child is bullied/excluded, so they spend all their time alone) means that they, if they distribute what they make, have the chance to make a lot of friends, and get suggestions, and learn new things, and a lot of other things too
Since when do parents actually look for all that. All they see is is that their kids play 1 game as like they are addicted to it. Thats it . They don't know about resource packs/mods/whatever. They might not even know that their child is being bullied and the possibilities that minecraft creates to make friends. And as soon as you strip away those parts of minecraft, being addicted to it is as bad as being addicted to playing any other computer game. Therefor some of the concern is understandable.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Since when do parents actually look for all that. All they see is is that their kids play 1 game as like they are addicted to it. Thats it . They don't know about resource packs/mods/whatever. They might not even know that their child is being bullied and the possibilities that minecraft creates to make friends. And as soon as you strip away those parts of minecraft, being addicted to it is as bad as being addicted to playing any other computer game. Therefor some of the concern is understandable.
Yeah, I know that. But as a worried parent I would look into what it is that they are playing, unless they (the child) has said "look what I can do with this mum" or whatever, then I would go and search to find out why it is popular, what can be done etc. And see if I can play with them, as some way to try and bond.
I know an older friend of mine plays minecraft with his son.

Reactions: gold49 and lenscas

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah, I know that. But as a worried parent I would look into what it is that they are playing, unless they (the child) has said "look what I can do with this mum" or whatever, then I would go and search to find out why it is popular, what can be done etc. And see if I can play with them, as some way to try and bond.
I know an older friend of mine plays minecraft with his son.

Yes YOU should do that sadly not everyone is like you. Allot of people are sadly enough, not like this and even if they where I question about the content what they find. I mean how do they know what to look for. They don't know that mods or resource packs exist and even if they do how would they search for it. They might not even be able to write/read English making searching for information even harder.

Before you say then they just ask their child. They might have already done that but at a bad time and thus did not get a helpful answer or the child may not give a helpful answer for another reason.

This does not mean that this is the right way. In fact I am against this way of parenting but sadly there are just a lot of reasons why a parent may not know about this.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Yes YOU should do that sadly not everyone is like you. Allot of people are sadly enough, not like this and even if they where I question about the content what they find. I mean how do they know what to look for. They don't know that mods or resource packs exist and even if they do how would they search for it. They might not even be able to write/read English making searching for information even harder.

Before you say then they just ask their child. They might have already done that but at a bad time and thus did not get a helpful answer or the child may not give a helpful answer for another reason.

This does not mean that this is the right way. In fact I am against this way of parenting but sadly there are just a lot of reasons why a parent may not know about this.
Parents are fickle creatures, I hope I never become one :p
But I understand where you are coming from. I am just fed up with the news only spotlighting Minecraft in a negative light. the BBC touched upon Minecraft being used in schools, but I have never actually heard them praise games that are being used for educational purposes (Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program are great for art/design and Physics respectively) but the media never talks about them in a positive way, and I think if the media was to stop being arsey about games, and actually see how they were used for educational (or recreational) purposes with an open mind, and not with the "this is going to ruin the next generation" mindset, then parents would be less negative about the games, and maybe even grow their interest independently (wanting to learn what their child is learning, without learning alongside them)

Reactions: Plasmasnake

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Parents are fickle creatures

We're not all bad! :p

I know what you mean about the media though; you'd think that if any game were to receive a more positive reception, it would be something like Minecraft or KSP, but apparently not :\ although Joseph Garrett (Stampy) had an interview on the BBC which - while slightly excruciating - was at least not too negative.

Reactions: gold49

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
We're not all bad! :p

I know what you mean about the media though; you'd think that if any game were to receive a more positive reception, it would be something like Minecraft or KSP, but apparently not :\ although Joseph Garrett (Stampy) had an interview on the BBC which - while slightly excruciating - was at least not too negative.
There was a quote, which I can find, that goes along the lines of "it takes five positives to balance a negative" and one good interview doesn't mean jack- compared to all the crap that games, especially minecraft, get in the news.

Congrats on being a parent, and actively taking interest in games... why aren't all parents fun? :p

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
There was a quote, which I can find, that goes along the lines of "it takes five positives to balance a negative" and one good interview doesn't mean jack- compared to all the crap that games, especially minecraft, get in the news.

Unfortunately, I suspect you're right :( And you'd be surprised how many of my generation (born in the 80's) actually ARE a lot of fun! Though it is hard to keep the daily drudge of adult responsibility from keeping you down sometimes, all it takes it trying to keep the kid inside you alive! Besides, I was a gamer long before I became a parent :D My son (nearly 4) loves Minecraft, and Stampy - for me, its not any worse than some of the dreadful children's TV out there - in fact its much better! Lots of encouragement of creativity, no swearing or anything like that, its pretty good from my perspective!

Also food for thought: My dad (now retired, turning 67 this year) was actually the reason I got into gaming - I loved watching him play Wolfenstein 3D! So maybe it depends on the parent ;)

x

And thank you :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
...praise games that are being used for educational purposes (Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program are great for art/design and Physics respectively) but the media never talks about them in a positive way...

TotalBiscuit did a rather interesting video on this;
-the long-short being 'traditional media' [TV ect] is actually competing with 'modern media' [social networks/computer games ect], so as an inherent result its in the financial interest of traditional media to tar the reputation of modern media, thus securing their continued viewership and social power as the main information feed of society.​

Reactions: 1SDAN

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
-the long-short being 'traditional media' [TV ect] is actually competing with 'modern media' [social networks/computer games ect], so as an inherent result its in the financial interest of traditional media to tar the reputation of modern media, thus securing their continued viewership and social power as the main information feed of society.​
However they fail epicly with the younger generation actually losing their potential newer audiences, by showing them in a bad light, and shunning all things that they love. And that means that while it lives now, it will lose its popularity as the old timers die out.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
However they fail epicly with the younger generation actually losing their potential newer audiences, by showing them in a bad light, and shunning all things that they love. And that means that while it lives now, it will lose its popularity as the old timers die out.
As a young person, I don't even watch TV (news stations) anymore, or read any "popular" online news sites. They're biased pieces of crap. Its not worth my time, nor anyone elses, to bother looking at their "accurate" information.

Then again, I could be an outlier, as I don't use twitter, facebook, instagram, ect...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Thats why we play the long game folks.

@psp You're not much of an outlier
I've never watched TV [significantly] since I went to Uni (over 5 years ago now- fuck you HMRC, I'll keep that £250 thanks :))
-same story for a lot of my coursemates too.​

Social media is somewhat popular, so we might be outliers there. [saying that public forums are social media too].

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Actually that's very common for under-30's to not watch traditional news, to not read newspapers, etc. We grew up with the internet and we see the potential in instant news dissemination, not to mention the targeted and filtered feeds we get for what we actually care about instead of the random depressing crap put on the morning news. Traditional media is fighting on the losing side, because they're being loyal/conservative. They're relying on the past to play for the present instead of playing on the present to win the future.

Congrats on being a parent, and actively taking interest in games... why aren't all parents fun? :p
Because kids are lots of hard work, and lots of people aren't ready for parenthood. It's the kind of job people get thrust upon them, and random lottery isn't the best way to find competent people for anything. Not anyone's fault or anything.

Reika... seriously. The only way people can break your mods with Project E is if they INTENTIONALLY break from defaults, or cheat in your items. I get not wanting people to be able to break your tech tree, but Project E DOES NOT ALLOW THIS BY DEFAULT.

In order to convert something into EMC, you have to be able to make it, and then put it into the transmutation table to TEACH the transmutation table (which is stored per-player). The only way to break the progression of your mod is by people deliberately allowing it. I could do the same thing a billion other obvious ways. Here's my trade-o-mat from IC2 that lets me give bedrock ingots for wood logs. Here's a zillion economy/shop plugins. Creative mode.

All you're doing by trying to force this issue is trying to ruin literally the entire point of another mod, and showing that you do not understand the workings of that mod. There is no tech-tree skip that is not allowed by nothing but your mod, vanilla, and exploration when you have Project E installed. All EMC conversion does is let you put raw (otherwise useless) resources to use bypassing tedious crafting and processing steps. FOR ITEMS YOU OBTAINED AT LEAST ONCE ALREADY. If you obtained those items illegitimately, then the player already cheated and NOTHING you have the authority or capability to do will fix the issue, they brought that upon themselves. If they obtained them from another player... what's to stop that other player from just providing more?

The tome is intended to be used like the cheat-sheet Thaumonomicon for Thaumcraft. It is the ONLY way to even semi-legit obtain recipes outside of standard obtainment methods like exploration and tech-tree progression. If someone enables that config which is disabled by default then THEY ARE AT FAULT. If someone is complaining that ProjectE has broken your mod, IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT NOR IS IT PROJECT E'S FAULT! It's that user, their admin, or the pack creator. Trying to sabotage Project E only engenders horrible PR for you and loses goodwill from people that would otherwise support you!

I don't get why you can't understand that, you've been told multiple times in many places that your assumptions about EMC are based on faulty data. Do your own research and you'll see that I'm right about the functioning of the condenser and transmutation table. There is no skip allowed unless you LEGITIMATELY obtain items from later points in the tech tree by methods that YOU YOURSELF put into the game, or standard admin/creative abilities that you knew existed when you programmed your mod. You can't fix stupid, but you can sure ruin the game by trying when you don't fully understand the situation!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
All EMC conversion does is let you put raw (otherwise useless) resources to use bypassing tedious crafting and processing steps. FOR ITEMS YOU OBTAINED AT LEAST ONCE ALREADY

Theres a massive difference between jury-rigging something to work once, then duplicating that item indefinitely- and actually designing/refining a functional system to perform that same task properly/efficiently [which in itself is a significant part of RoC's overall design and engineering gameplay mechanics]
(by example- collecting enough tungsten/bedrock, or temperature balancing furnace/fermenter processes)
[same difference with sharing resources; someone, somewhere on the server did it and got it working properly.]​

Also I'm fairly certain if Reika allows ProjectE to reproduce his items via EMC, he'll get "Well if ProjectE does it, why aren't I allowed to do it?" from everyone else. Not stepping in could blow up into a worse PR nightmare later on.

Now what could prove interesting, would be some RoC integration into ProjectE- such as generating EMC from shaft power. [though ChromatiCraft⇉EMC might be more thematically appropriate].
A bit of give and take would certainly play well from the PR side of things.
Can we REDthread this before someone slaps out Qaz's OP again?

Last edited:

jss2a98aj

Jul 29, 2019
I once met someone who "modded" Minecraft by editing base classes (while they were still compiled) with notepad. When they first mentioned how they went about "modding" the game I told them it wouldn't work, and that using an API (like forge) would help them make mods. I then got this response: "I like modding from scratch though".

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I once met someone who "modded" Minecraft by editing base classes (while they were still compiled) with notepad. When they first mentioned how they went about "modding" the game I told them it wouldn't work, and that using an API (like forge) would help them make mods. I then got this response: "I like modding from scratch though".
*brain explodes*

Reactions: 1SDAN

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Modding from scratch is perfectly fine in itself, as your best source of information on how a game works is the source code.
(though in the case of MC- decompile and de-obscurate to make it readable does help)​

If you're buddy prefers jarmodding, then more power to him [her?].
Can be easier than using an API- depends on what you're doing and you're coding style.​

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Modding from scratch is perfectly fine in itself, as your best source of information on how a game works is the source code.
(though in the case of MC- decompile and de-obscurate to make it readable does help)​

If you're buddy prefers jarmodding, then more power to him [her?].
Can be easier than using an API- depends on what you're doing and you're coding style.​
He opened the compiled classes in Notepad... Basically looks like a bunch of broken symbols.

Status
Not open for further replies.