Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
"PVP is really important in minecraft and still I love PVP" - okay up to this point and kinda agreed
"and most pepole who hate PVP are either n00bs or really bad at PVP" - unnecessary

Reactions: 1SDAN

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Most of the MC population is under 16. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Do you have proof that most of the MC player base would rather kill for resources? It doesn't matter that a large portion of the player base is under 16. Age holds no influence on the preference of PVP over resource gathering.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That is not the point. Resonant rise is highly respected, and every word they say will be held as true and repeated by 5000 others.
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2w1l8j/whatever_happened_to_better_than_wolves/

Not the Resonant Rise team this time. At least be the better person in this one and CHECK before you accuse RR of doing something? That's the worst part about what they're doing to you is the constant baseless assumptions.

Edit:
"PVP is really important in minecraft and still I love PVP" - okay up to this point and kinda agreed
"and most pepole who hate PVP are either n00bs or really bad at PVP" - unnecessary
Only if you think it is.

I personally think PvP is a detractor from good PvE design because of the constant re-balancing required to make everything "balanced" which is a pipe dream.

If you want PvP? Make it a new gametype. Completely new. Not on by default and just allowing damage to affect players. Actually DESIGN a good PvP experience. And watch as your PvE experience goes down the toilet because it's an entirely separate set of goals with nearly no crossover. I can point to a lot of modern games that did that, and it's sad. PvP does NOT have to be in the same bleeping game as your PvE. There are good PvP games out there, there are good PvE games out there, this is not a case of peanut butter and chocolate. They are two great tastes (well, personal opinion on PvP is negative. I've never liked the nearly completely unpredictable nature of Human vs Human combat) that are NOT good mixed together.

Last edited:

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I fail to see how something that someone who is most likely young (based upon the quoted bit) is something that reflects a large majority of the MC population or that it is something that falls under the title of this thread.
Most of the MC population is under 16. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Do you have proof that most of the MC player base would rather kill for resources? It doesn't matter that a large portion of the player base is under 16. Age holds no influence on the preference of PVP over resource gathering.
I was responding to your point about how the user was likely young.

Which is the point I thought he was making too Padfoote. A really REALLY large number of the minecraft playerbase isn't even able to legally drive a CAR yet. Which means "because he's young" is actually a GOOD reason to assume that his opinion reflects a large portion of the MC playerbase. People, taken as a whole, are extremely similar. Random samples are great ways to gauge the "average" of a crowd... and kids are extra similar when compared to adults. Not to say there aren't outliers. Like some of you little whippersnappers. I'm not even 30 and people like @1SDAN and @CoolSquid are making me feel OLD.

Gods I miss nested quotes sometimes. At least the Rich Text Editor still makes quotes in raw BBCode.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Which is the point I thought he was making too Padfoote. A really REALLY large number of the minecraft playerbase isn't even able to legally drive a CAR yet. Which means "because he's young" is actually a GOOD reason to assume that his opinion reflects a large portion of the MC playerbase.

Erm, no. Judging an entire community made up of hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, based upon the post of a single person, is extrapolation. It's bad practice, and results in incorrect data.

Paksarra

Jul 29, 2019
I -really- shouldn't try to answer questions on Gamefaqs. Some parts paraphrased for brevity.

Topic: "I've been away for about a year, what's new? Is modding easier yet?"

Other Person: "It's pretty easy, you just drag and drop mods into the folder."

Me: "Modding is mostly the same, but 1.7 is out, which means you don't have to deal with item and block ID conflicts anymore. Making a good modpack is still a lot of work-- you have to resolve things like biome ID conflicts and possibly do balance tweaks depending on what you're going for..."

OP (verbatim): "So modding hasn't changed? It's not a more compatible situation anymore?"

Me: What do you mean?

OP: A lot of issues I had with Minecraft modding is how friggin' over-complicated it is, and it doesn't even work half the time. I was wondering if they had a program like those used with PC Sonic games, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, etc."

Several People: It's not hard to drag and drop files into a folder.

OP: It's still more complicated than it needs to be.... Yeah it's aggravating as [censored]. If the dev did his job initially I wouldn't have to fix the game.

Does this person really think all the mods are made by one guy?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Given the shameful examples posted earlier it isn't appropriate to chunk the MC community under 1 banner.

I'll have to agree with Pad and Punk, this is getting out of hand [again]- and some of those recent posts of ours... well if they were in a different thread, then I'd be quoting them back in here.

...and ninja'd :)
This forum is full of ninjas.

It took a fair bit of explaining [to my parents] that mods are made by the public and not the game devs. (by extension that Mojang doesn't know, care or have control over what goes on in modded content)
If someone isn't 'in the know' then everything can seem a little weird to them.

Last edited:

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
OP: It's still more complicated than it needs to be.... Yeah it's aggravating as [censored]. If the dev did his job initially I wouldn't have to fix the game.

I was saving this one for such an occasion. Help yourself.
double_facepalm.jpg

Reactions: PierceSG and 1SDAN

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Topic: "I've been away for about a year, what's new? Is modding easier yet?"

Other Person: "It's pretty easy, you just drag and drop mods into the folder."

Me: "Modding is mostly the same, but 1.7 is out, which means you don't have to deal with item and block ID conflicts anymore. Making a good modpack is still a lot of work-- you have to resolve things like biome ID conflicts and possibly do balance tweaks depending on what you're going for..."

OP (verbatim): "So modding hasn't changed? It's not a more compatible situation anymore?"

Me: What do you mean?

OP: A lot of issues I had with Minecraft modding is how friggin' over-complicated it is, and it doesn't even work half the time. I was wondering if they had a program like those used with PC Sonic games, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, etc."

Several People: It's not hard to drag and drop files into a folder.

Except if Mojang had done their job properly, none of us would have to fix ID conflicts?

Seriously, Minecraft modding is mess. As best as I can remember, even completely expected issues such as Block ID conflicts would vomit out a stack trace instead of something halfway readable. Of course, then there were Item ID conflicts which didn't get flagged up as problems, leading to all sorts of weirdness. And don't get me started on what passes as 'documentation' in many cases.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Except if Mojang had done their job properly, none of us would have to fix ID conflicts?

Define 'properly'
No-one knew Minecraft would get this big, or contain [this many] mods; Notch designed something almost totally new, and effectively moved mountains to get it working.
He got it done and made it work.
Sometimes to get it done you need to take shortcuts, otherwise it'll never get done as following some kind of theoretical 'ideal' [doing it "properly" in your words] takes significantly longer to implement. (look at how long it took a team to implement IDs 'properly' with the theoretical idea of providing an infinite number)
-doing that from the start would have taken too many dev hours, and the game would have never launched/worked.

Which is why the rest of the API is taking literal years to develop, it'll work when it gets there. However I personally have doubts if it'll be worthwhile venture given the number of dev hours sunk into it, compared to the value it'll return.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Define 'properly'
No-one knew Minecraft would get this big, or contain [this many] mods; Notch designed something almost totally new, and effectively moved mountains to get it working.
Sometimes to get it done you need to take shortcuts, otherwise it'll never get done as following some kind of theoretical 'ideal' [doing it "properly" in your words] takes significantly longer to implement. (look at how long it took a team to implement IDs 'properly' with the theoretical idea of providing an infinite number)
-doing that from the start would have taken too many dev hours, and the game would have never launched/worked.

Which is why the rest of the API is taking literal years to develop, it'll work when it gets there. However I personally have doubts if it'll be worthwhile venture given the number of dev hours sunk into it, compared to the value it'll return.

I recall reading from somewhere, though I may be incorrect, that Notch once stated that if he knew it would get as big as it did then he wouldn't have even coded Minecraft in Java. It was a small project that became ... something amazing that pushes the bounds of what Java is truly capable of.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Which is the point I thought he was making too Padfoote. A really REALLY large number of the minecraft playerbase isn't even able to legally drive a CAR yet. Which means "because he's young" is actually a GOOD reason to assume that his opinion reflects a large portion of the MC playerbase. People, taken as a whole, are extremely similar. Random samples are great ways to gauge the "average" of a crowd... and kids are extra similar when compared to adults. Not to say there aren't outliers. Like some of you little whippersnappers. I'm not even 30 and people like @1SDAN and @CoolSquid are making me feel OLD.

Gods I miss nested quotes sometimes. At least the Rich Text Editor still makes quotes in raw BBCode.

What about me makes you feel old exactly? Is it how I have been working on and off on various modpacks? Or perhaps that I'm working on coding a Trading Card Game? I ask because those two things aren't coming along so well. It's hard for me to become dedicated to something. Most dedication I've ever had on a project that wasn't mandatory was NAM.

...You know what? I actually feel like I might like to work on NAM again...

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Define 'properly'

Properly in this case refers to actually having a well thought out plan. A specific goal, and the stages required to meet that goal. Then, the plan should be followed. Minecraft 1.0 was released in 2011, with the API being originally planned as launch feature. Four years later and progress towards it mostly amounts to the SSP/SMP merge, and the death of block ids. Meanwhile, community members have created an API, continued maintaining it to work with each Minecraft update. Software development can be difficult, yes, but when you do things properly, the aims is reduce the time taken, by establishing what you want to do, so that you don't have to recode half the engine from scratch to add new features.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Four years later and progress towards it mostly amounts to the SSP/SMP merge, and the death of block ids. Meanwhile, community members have created an API, continued maintaining it to work with each Minecraft update.
Several APIs, Forge being the most well known. Its somewhat the difference between theoretical ideal (which I see a lot from people who've no idea how things actually work) and producing a workable solution. (such as the 4096 ID fix- I think that was originally Jebs??)
As for having a well thought out plan; I think that followed Notch out the door.​

There's even no way to get metals other than by smashing mobs.
Oh the temptation to modify Agrarian skies settings to this instead of sieving dirt. Build mob grinder-> melt down armour-> happy times
(theres somewhat too many metals to make this viable)

Status
Not open for further replies.