Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirDoctorOfTardis

Jul 29, 2019
The nutrition rule doesn't always apply, though. I grew up dirt-poor (as in, one low-earning check away from living in the street), and while I made shit for grades in classes that weren't math (or programming during freshman year in high school), my teachers all noted that I was actually quite intelligent, I just had problems with organization and homework because I've got ADHD. My diet mostly consisted of cheap, bulk, processed foods for much of my life. I think a large part of it is the parents not actually encouraging their children to be intelligent in the first place, or at least find something they're good at. That's something my folks did right, even if school did leave me with some...very deep psychological scars that have yet to fully heal and retarded my emotional and social development until I was 23.

But, I do agree with Reika, a lot of is the fault of society and popular media. While "nerds" are seen as trendy nowadays, actual, functional intelligence is largely shat upon. Well, they can envy us all they want; somebody has to clean our toilets, it might as well be the brainless ones.

That first part is very close to what my childhood has been like, the only things that are different are the skills, the mental issues, and how much money came in (its close to it though.)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
At lot of it is down to the parents- if you leave your kid with the electronic babysitter all day it'll stunt their mental and physical development.
Wheres if you spend a lot of time with them, you'll teach them a lot. Give them some real toys to play with; they'll learn a lot more playing with wooden blocks than a iPad.

Reactions: 1SDAN

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
At lot of it is down to the parents- if you leave your kid with the electronic babysitter all day it'll stunt their mental and physical development.
Wheres if you spend a lot of time with them, you'll teach them a lot. Give them some real toys to play with; they'll learn a lot more playing with wooden blocks than a iPad.
And even more if you give them a couple of books a week and let them choose any difficulty level they want.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
This. While I have so far been fortunate enough not to befriend people who later reveal themselves as complete morons, staying around people like that is not good for one's mental health. To quote an article I once read: "Imagine hanging around the stupidest people you know. Imagine the frustration as they fail at simple tasks and struggle to grasp the simplest of concepts".
Its not stupidity thats the problem; we are all stupid at one point.
Its lack of willingness to learn.​
Both of these statements remind me exactly of half the people where I work. Needless to say, I get easily frustrated...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
There are...an unfortunately large amount of factors that go into making a True Idiot (TM). Homeschooling, poverty, poor living conditions, turning school into one gigantic dick measuring contest instead of actually educating kids, the list goes on. Though, the least we could do in 'Murica is actually bother looking at what works in other countries. Countries that are largely kicking our ass in education. Like Finland.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There are...an unfortunately large amount of factors that go into making a True Idiot (TM). Homeschooling, poverty, poor living conditions, turning school into one gigantic dick measuring contest instead of actually educating kids, the list goes on. Though, the least we could do in 'Murica is actually bother looking at what works in other countries. Countries that are largely kicking our ass in education. Like Finland.
I have met people who were unaware that other countries even had educational programs; he seriously believed that the US was the only developed country in the world.:confused:

Reactions: 1SDAN and PierceSG

Wursti

Jul 29, 2019
I have met people who were unaware that other countries even had educational programs; he seriously believed that the US was the only developed country in the world.:confused:
Sounds like a (stereo?)typical American to me. XD

Dont take it too seriously.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Growing up where I did, I have absolutely zero trouble believing that...and that disturbs me.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
it sounds like it makes even where I live look like Alabama by comparison.
You mean what I wrote in Post #1150 ?
Well that's what I thought when I was young. I've never actually been to America so I have no clue.

Sorry if I somehow offended you

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You mean what I wrote in Post #1150 ?
Well that's what I thought when I was young. I've never actually been to America so I have no clue.

Sorry if I somehow offended you
There are so many things wrong with the US and the way it is run that I could have this thread locked listing them all...let's not do that.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm not sure about this but it isn't that idiotic. Is there a specific part that made you facepalm using your computer?
"If you want nuclear physics, try ReactorCraft"
"BigReactors is just as realistic"
"How? Everything is pseudo-magical."
"Well...graphite exists...."

That is like saying
"If you want a space movie that is realistic, try Interstellar"
"Star Wars is just as realistic"
"How? It is more fantasy than science"
"Well....planets exist..."

Status
Not open for further replies.