Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like my argument is being completely overlooked.
The best bet would be for MCreator to add some sort of lightweight GUI-based Minecraft scripting language. I'm thinking of a text-based version that's somewhat similar - hey, MCSM might even evolve into something along the lines of allowing you to precompile your MCSM files into mods, although that would require some extra syntax for the mod ID and such.
Also, @Strikingwolf, sending you some more concept code.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The best bet would be for MCreator to add some sort of lightweight GUI-based Minecraft scripting language
^ This this is the problem with MCreator. It allows no way to actually script into MC with it. A Gui-based scripting language would be a great intro to modding
I'm thinking of a text-based version that's somewhat similar - hey, MCSM might even evolve into something along the lines of allowing you to precompile your MCSM files into mods, although that would require some extra syntax for the mod ID and such.
Sounds nice

Darkhax

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like my argument is being completely overlooked.
The best bet would be for MCreator to add some sort of lightweight GUI-based Minecraft scripting language. I'm thinking of a text-based version that's somewhat similar - hey, MCSM might even evolve into something along the lines of allowing you to precompile your MCSM files into mods, although that would require some extra syntax for the mod ID and such.

In terms of a minecraft scripting language, there was a project a long time ago by Xie called XieMod, the point of the mod was to allow users to create json files which contained the basic values and properties for modded content. There was actually a really big community based around his mod, a lot of harvestcraft type stuff. While this project didn't have a very wide scope, I think that if we actively tried to make a project which was developed by many contributors (like forge is) it would be possible to make a very powerful way for users with no experience to create their own mods, and potentially even transcend to actual java development.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
  1. I made an estimate based on the amount of replies to the thread, I have no way of getting solid numbers
  2. If you don't add more it won't happen. But because tools are the main part of your mod the only way of updating would be to...add more
  3. What is popular is generally a good measure of what is good in the mods community. However, there are many other reasons that this mod would be bad. Like #2 feature/power creep
You know what, I think I've been entirely discouraged from continuing this mod. Not gonna argue any more as your goal has been reached .-.

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
That wasn't my goal. By all means make the mod, but know it will be better if you make it yourself, and you will learn more if you do
...and that MCreator is horrible, and the code is bad, and people won't like it, and that I'll get a bad reputation just for releasing it.

Kotaro

Jul 29, 2019
...and that MCreator is horrible, and the code is bad, and people won't like it, and that I'll get a bad reputation just for releasing it.

Relax a little...

It's not that it's bad, it's that using a low-end method of making a mod probably isn't going to produce a high-end product. I think there's just a bit of negativity because the tool system has been done to death for just materials, and that having new effects, like the ability to mine multiple blocks or smelt what you mine, is the better way to go.

It's just they're trying to tell you that if you know how to code, you're only limited by skill, time, and imagination. If you use the program, you're limited to what the program does.

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
Relax a little...

It's not that it's bad, it's that using a low-end method of making a mod probably isn't going to produce a high-end product. I think there's just a bit of negativity because the tool system has been done to death for just materials, and that having new effects, like the ability to mine multiple blocks or smelt what you mine, is the better way to go.

It's just they're trying to tell you that if you know how to code, you're only limited by skill, time, and imagination. If you use the program, you're limited to what the program does.
Me relax? When Strikingwolf's been the one pounding all those things into my head for over a thread page?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
And what the program does probably won't lead to a very good mod. It may be decent, but it won't be good
Me relax? When Strikingwolf's been the one pounding all those things into my head for over a thread page?
I was just trying to help. I want everyone to do the best they can. And on top of that, you didn't agree and I thought you were wrong and you would be much better off if you did it yourself. My passion is programming, and I want people to do well in it. I don't want them to be limited in this extremely creative medium

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Alright I pretty much never enter this thread because the very concept of it somewhat grinds my gears (the though of unknowingly being bashed for something I said wigs me out)... however I have some advice:

@SadGhoster87 I started modding when I knew absolutely nothing about programming at all. I started watching a massive slew of tutorials based around making a forge mod in an IDE writing my own code in Java. I was horrible at this and copied each and every line the person writing the tutorial typed and then raging and starting over when I tried re-factoring and borked everything. So I picked someone elses tutorial series and followed it, again basically following word for word (I thought I would be cool and change variable names and whatnot and then could never keep the references right and had to restart because I borked it again) But I can honestly say that it was all completely worth it, I now make some kinda neat things, and the sky is the limit from here on in.
You can make a mod with MCCreator or whatever alternative and you will get a mod out of it, it can also be a cool mod that becomes popular. You are stuck there, if you are content with that, that's ok, I say go right ahead :) However, the tools are there to do greater things. There are plenty of good tutorials for forge modding, there are plenty of good tutorials for learning java, there is much support for people who run across issues, there is an absolute ton of source code out there to use as reference.

@Strikingwolf is not trying to berate you, I know him, he's a nice dude.... but: we want to see cool mods, we want to see people bring their cool ideas to life, we want to see people be proud of what they have done, and we want people to grow, and the best way to encourage this is to encourage people to start in the right place.

Anyhow, cheers in whatever you do m8 :)

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
And what the program does probably won't lead to a very good mod. It may be decent, but it won't be good

I was just trying to help. I want everyone to do the best they can. And on top of that, you didn't agree and I thought you were wrong and you would be much better off if you did it yourself. My passion is programming, and I want people to do well in it. I don't want them to be limited in this extremely creative medium
Limited? I have no cognitive ability to learn code.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019

Believe me, if I can have some rough idea of what to do with only a few videos under my belt and an attention span that sometimes can be beat by a fruit fly, you can do it. It is like basic math, learn how to do something and it just keeps building on itself until it all fits into place and you have some idea of what to do in any situation. Best of luck with whatever you end up doing though:)

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
Believe me, if I can have some rough idea of what to do with only a few videos under my belt and an attention span that sometimes can be beat by a fruit fly, you can do it. It is like basic math, learn how to do something and it just keeps building on itself until it all fits into place and you have some idea of what to do in any situation. Best of luck with whatever you end up doing though:)
I have tried to learn code. I never succeeded.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That is not true. Advanced Coding isn't for everybody, but the things you need to know for MC mods are not very advanced, and when they are you can always look at something open-source that has already done it. MC coding, while challenging at first gets easier over time, like all skills
I have tried to learn code. I never succeeded.
That mentality is what will prevent you from learning. I started learning things 2 or 3 times before I ever made a dent in anything, but once I got some traction it was a lot easier from then on

Status
Not open for further replies.