Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
As a budding mod developer (Still trying to code my first mod by learning from Pahimar's tutorials), I am kinda sad to see this stuff and it makes me unsure about how I should handle this once I make mods for real: Go Reika's way, and attract hate from modpack developers because they want power over my mod, or go the general way and attract every single stupid bug report because someone added dirt to a block recipe via Minetweaker.

I'd suggest the latter. People will submit faulty bug reports no matter *what* you do.

Also, if you try to make it so MineTweaker *doesn't* work then lots of the *good* modpack authors won't touch the mod.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just as Reika and other modders don't give tech support when you run ModTweaker, the authors of a mod pack aren't required to give you tech support if you run additional mods on top of the pack. That isn't being whiny or being unjustified. That's not being 'forced' to support stuff you haven't tested.
Except they clearly and repeatedly state that that is not their reasoning, and that had it been any other mod they would provide support. While you are not forced to provide support for a modified pack, if the only reason you are denying it is emotional rather than practical, you lose all legitimacy.

Reactions: 1SDAN

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Except they clearly and repeatedly state that that is not their reasoning, and that had it been any other mod they would provide support. While you are not forced to provide support for a modified pack, if the only reason you are denying it is emotional rather than practical, you lose all legitimacy.

If a modpack maker decides not to support any particular mods then that's their full right to do so. Just as it's your full right to not support players that use ModTweaker. That one goes both ways, Reika.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
If a modpack maker decides not to support any particular mods then that's their full right to do so. Just as it's your full right to not support players that use ModTweaker. That one goes both ways, Reika.
If I were deciding to reject support for people using specific mods, I would be just as wrong as a pack author rejecting support for people using specific mods, doubly so if the reason is not "this mod causes problems" but "I don't like this author".

Do not put words in my mouth.

Reactions: PierceSG and 1SDAN

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
If I were deciding to reject support for people using specific mods, I would be just as wrong as a pack author rejecting support for people using specific mods, doubly so if the reason is not "this mod causes problems" but "I don't like this author".

Do not words in my mouth.

I didn't put any words in your mouth there, Reika. Just because you disagree with me, doesn't mean I twisted your words. It doesn't matter what reasons a mod creator or modpack creator has for not supporting a mod. It's their right to do so regardless. 'Moral ground' has no bearing there. They have the right to not support your mods. You may not like their reason, but it's their right to *have* that opinion. You have the right to not support ModTweaker. They may not like that reason, but it's their right to *have* that opinion.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I didn't put any words in your mouth there, Reika. Just because you disagree with me, doesn't mean I twisted your words. It doesn't matter what reasons a mod creator or modpack creator has for not supporting a mod. It's their right to do so regardless. 'Moral ground' has no bearing there. They have the right to not support your mods. You may not like their reason, but it's their right to *have* that opinion. You have the right to not support ModTweaker. They may not like that reason, but it's their right to *have* that opinion.
You equated what I do, not providing support when people directly break things, with things like what happened between TiC and GT, where mod authors refused to provide support, not because the other mods is directly causing problems, but over personal issues, then tried to cast my point as a defence of that.

While it is technically within the rights of a modpack or mod author to do this, that does not make it any more defensible or the author in question any less of a selfish jackass.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
It doesn't matter what reasons a mod creator or modpack creator has for not supporting a mod. It's their right to do so regardless. 'Moral ground' has no bearing there. They have the right to not support your mods. You may not like their reason, but it's their right to *have* that opinion. You have the right to not support ModTweaker. They may not like that reason, but it's their right to *have* that opinion.
You're ignoring the crux of the issue here.
Its not RR refusing to support Reika's mods [which is perfectly fine]
Its the RR team "justifying" that decision with a blatant lie.​

As a budding mod developer (Still trying to code my first mod by learning from Pahimar's tutorials), I am kinda sad to see this stuff and it makes me unsure about how I should handle this once I make mods for real: Go Reika's way, and attract hate from modpack developers because they want power over my mod, or go the general way and attract every single stupid bug report because someone added dirt to a block recipe via Minetweaker.
Do whatever you feel comfortable with; taking the extreme on either side will be somewhat destructive and painful. I can't give you any specific opinions on XYZ because I've no idea on what your mod design involves.

Remember your mod is yours.
It belongs to you and not the community.
You have the right to autonomy and design integrity.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
You equated what I do with things like what happened between TiC and GT where mod authors refused to provide support not because the other mods is directly causing problems but over personal issues, then tried to cast my point as a defence of that.

While it is technically within the rights of a modpack or mod author to do this, that does not make it any more defensible or the author in question any less of a selfish jackass.

I did because it DOES NOT MATTER why a mod creator or modpack creator refuses to provide support. There is no 'moral high ground' when it comes to not providing support. It doesn't matter why you or they don't support it. One reason isn't superior to the other. The only thing that DOES matter is that it's your right, and theirs as well, to support only what you choose to outside of the bounds of the mod/modpack itself.

Now I don't wish to continue discussing with you as you don't want discussion as you've already decided that my opinions have no merit.

You're ignoring the crux of the issue here.
Its not RR refusing to support Reika's mods [which is perfectly fine]
Its the RR team "justifying" that decision with a blatant lie.​

I'm not ignoring the crux of the issue. Did I not say in my post that their decision not to support Reika's mods DOES NOT condone their lie?

Last edited:

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Buildcraft pipes do explode as a matter of fact, when they have excessive numbers of items in them. At least that was the case in Minecraft 1.6.4.

Only item pipes, yes. They do it if you have over 64 stacks in a single pipe block - this is done so that you can easily spot bottlenecks (and so the server doesn't explode of lag - though some would argue items lying down lag more, not only do BC-dropped pipe items disappear after only 30 seconds, with CoFHCore this is actually untrue and to be honest we can't find a better solution).

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Damn. Effing. Straight. People will find a reason to baselessly complain no matter what you do, so you might as well do what's most comfortable for you.

Eeyep.
If you're a popular dev you can say 'I like icecream' and some idiot will go off on a tirade about how 'Icecream is OP therefore your mod sucks'

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well mod devs and pack devs are humans. Hate is a human feeling. People might hate other people for stupid reasons. It's all about how to deal with it. Some people are less mature than others there.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That guy's laugh was almost physically painful. I still chuckled though. It's kinda sad the direction Mojang chose to focus their development time in.

It's your mod, do what you want. My personal suggestion would be the latter option: let people be stupid.

There's nothing you're going to be able to do to actually protect stupidity from itself, so it rather becomes an exercise in wasting your time; you WILL get bug reports from people that install your clearly marked 1.7.10 mod in 1.2.5 and wonder why it doesn't work; you WILL get people that play on a server where the admin's friend added a mod which hacks yours into their vision of compatibility which introduces a crash bug because the friend isn't as good a coder as they thought; you will likely inspire whole portions of the community to revile you because you DARED to have an opinion on what your mods internal balance points should or should not be (usually at the same time. Your mod will both be overpowered and underpowered. Depends on who you ask). Basically there's no way to fix stupid, so you might as well ignore it. The old hats in the community that you are likely to attract will likely deal with it for you. I've been laying out the twelve-step-plan to fixing-your-latest-idiocy on people since IndustrialCraft was a new thing. I'm probably going to be doing that for the rest of my life, and there's other people that will too. Focus on making your mod great, and dollars to donuts says the community will help users correct their stupidity for you, and actually direct real problems to your attention.

No, you would be as well within your rights as any pack author or mod author. I personally will never support optifine usage with my mod. That one is because of a history of problems in mod interaction. I also will not support GregTech because I don't like his historical policies on balance and mod interaction (basically I have no guarantee that Greg isn't going to break my mod to suit his balance), and how he treats the community. Neither of those are somehow invalidated because of why I hold those opinions. I have limited time and attention to spend on things, and I would rather not support things I would rather not support. Just like you don't want to support people that use MineTweaker to mess with your own mods. MineTweaker is something I personally will support because I believe all users have a right to tailor their experience to suit them. I would much rather they do it themselves than try and do it on my end. That lets me focus my energies on making my mod the best I can instead of making it fit into the endless permutations of mods and addons available.

But like everything on this topic it's an interaction between your opinions and wishes. Those are always going to be subjective, and nobody has a right to change them.

Damn. Effing. Straight. People will find a reason to baselessly complain no matter what you do, so you might as well do what's most comfortable for you.
Quoted For Truth

This thread is a 177 page testament to people's stupidity. You will ALWAYS find a "better idiot". The only sane thing to do is ignore them as much as you can.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No, you would be as well within your rights as any pack author or mod author. I personally will never support optifine usage with my mod. That one is because of a history of problems in mod interaction. I also will not support GregTech because I don't like his historical policies on balance and mod interaction (basically I have no guarantee that Greg isn't going to break my mod to suit his balance), and how he treats the community. Neither of those are somehow invalidated because of why I hold those opinions. I have limited time and attention to spend on things, and I would rather not support things I would rather not support. Just like you don't want to support people that use MineTweaker to mess with your own mods. MineTweaker is something I personally will support because I believe all users have a right to tailor their experience to suit them. I would much rather they do it themselves than try and do it on my end. That lets me focus my energies on making my mod the best I can instead of making it fit into the endless permutations of mods and addons available.
As I said before, there is a difference between refusing support for practical reasons, because the other mod may be directly (even unintentionally) causing issues, and both of your examples fall into that category. It is another thing entirely to refuse support even when you know full well it is not causing issues, and only do so because of a personal dispute.

That is more like you refusing support because (for example) you disliked the author of a minimap and rejected a bug report about your machine crashing, obviously unrelated. Or you reject bug reports based on the person that they come from because you do not like them or someone they associate with. And that happens too; there is one mod that about 8 or so people cannot submit bug reports to because they are seen as close with me.

But like everything on this topic it's an interaction between your opinions and wishes. Those are always going to be subjective, and nobody has a right to change them.
If someone is taking actions based on things like personal vendettas, rather than having a logical reason for their actions, then they are wrong. No exceptions.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
As I said before, there is a difference between refusing support for practical reasons, because the other mod may be directly (even unintentionally) causing issues. It is another thing entirely to refuse support even when you know full well it is not causing issues, and only do so because of a personal dispute.

As much as you say your reason for disallowing/not supporting ModTweaker is that it causes issues, that isn't the case. ModTweaker itself doesn't cause issues. People that don't know what they're doing with it are the ones that cause issues. So that shifts your dislike and non-support of it from purely practical to being just as much of a personal dispute with the people using it incorrectly. That would put you in the same boat as those you're trying to chastise.

As for *them*, the practical reason is likely that your mod *does* introduce issues that they don't care to troubleshoot. They're not required to troubleshoot issues your mod may bring to their modpack as it's not one they include themselves. That's not purely personal. There's practicality there too.

If someone is taking actions based on things like personal vendettas, rather than having a logical reason for their actions, then they are wrong. No exceptions.

They have a logical reason. it's just not one you like. Now can we drop this?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
As much as you say your reason for disallowing/not supporting ModTweaker is that it causes issues, that isn't the case. ModTweaker itself doesn't cause issues. People that don't know what they're doing with it are the ones that cause issues. So that shifts your dislike and non-support of it from purely practical to being just as much of a personal dispute with the people using it incorrectly. That would put you in the same boat as those you're trying to chastise.
Well in these cases the people actually are casuing problems. So it's a practical reason after all and not really a personal. He does it not because he dislikes those people but because some of them do stupid things.

They have a logical reason. it's just not one you like. Now can we drop this?
It's more like a mix of misinformation and personal reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.