Real life Minecraft moments

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Using a little MC logic on the real world can actually result in some interesting conclusions:

A while back I was driving home and I started thinking about player chunk loading radius and how it would move with me as I drove(like when you fly around in MC). I then thought about how inefficient the world was. All the stuff that was going on with no one to observe it. Birds in the trees, worms and insects in the ground of the forest. That it kept everything everywhere loaded even when no one was nearby... Or does it? o_O

Maybe we are on to something here. Maybe this is exactly what things like Quantum Indeterminacy is actually all about? If no one is observing it, then there is no need to waste resources on processing it. The cat is not determined dead before someone actually looks. If no one is observing the particle, there is no need to process which state it is in and processing resources can be saved for other particles that are being observed.

This must also means that the universe is actually a simulation! And it is being run by someone who have significant processing power yet not infinitely so since they still care about "chunkloading". This rules out "divine" beings as they probably wouldn't need to run simulations and if so then they would probably have infinite processing power.

So Ipsum Factum(or whatever it is called), the universe is a simulation and we are all pawns in some guys experiment.... Oh, almost home now.
What if, when we travel faster than light, we go too fast for the chunkloading to keep up?
DUDE.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, does that mean that each time a server lags and we move faster than it can keep up, we can send messages into the server's past?
Actually, yeah. I've had times where a friend was ~5 irl minutes behind the server. He began getting the messages we put in chat about 5 minutes after we typed them. So, yeah, it is possible to communicate with the past using lag. :D

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
What if, when we travel faster than light, we go too fast for the chunkloading to keep up?
DUDE.
If we ever travel faster than light.

But yeah the "chunkloading theory" explains everything doesn't it? :p

Someone funnel some of the money from CERN etc. into getting Minecraft programmed into a less derpy engine. Think of the progress we could achieve!

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
If we ever travel faster than light.

But yeah the "chunkloading theory" explains everything doesn't it? :p

Someone funnel some of the money from CERN etc. into getting Minecraft programmed into a less derpy engine. Think of the progress we could achieve!
I'm certain will will, via bending of space-time. But will the bending be such that the chunks are then able to load, and unless we achieve non-space bending faster-than-light travel, we will never know if the theory is right!

Also: YOU WOULDN'T HEAR THE TREE FALL IN THE FOREST!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm certain will will, via bending of space-time. But will the bending be such that the chunks are then able to load, and unless we achieve non-space bending faster-than-light travel, we will never know if the theory is right!

Also: YOU WOULDN'T HEAR THE TREE FALL IN THE FOREST!
I am sure the "server OPs" have measures in place to detect such attempts and will simply reboot and ban you :p

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I am sure the "server OPs" have measures in place to detect such attempts and will simply reboot and ban you :p
Where do we go when we get banned? Do we wake up and join the resistance like in the matrix but without robots? Is that what happens when we die? If not, what DOES happen when we die? Do we just get to become spectators, and ghosts are just spectators who've hacked the system slightly?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Where do we go when we get banned? Do we wake up and join the resistance like in the matrix but without robots? Is that what happens when we die? If not, what DOES happen when we die? Do we just get to become spectators, and ghosts are just spectators who've hacked the system slightly?
Maybe we appear in a 90's childrens animation tv show?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Today I went on a tour of a brewery.

We saw the original machine for grinding the grains, which was a glorious thing made of wood and wrought iron. Belt-driven and steam powered, it looked very Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

The first thing that sprang to mind was the possibility of hooking it up to my Rotarycraft gas turbine.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
On a (definitely not, but whatever) romantic hiking trip in the Appalachians, came across this:
68388-004-16B9EFFB.jpg

*same place, but my phone camera was inadequate*
Me: "How far do you think you could hang glide off of this mountain?"
La novia: "Dunno"
Me: "Probably 1k blocks..."
Her: "What?"
Me: "What?"

It's lookout mountain, Tennessee, if anybody is wondering. It may or may not have been illegal to get to the summit where I was...

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
On a (definitely not, but whatever) romantic hiking trip in the Appalachians, came across this:
68388-004-16B9EFFB.jpg

*same place, but my phone camera was inadequate*
Me: "How far do you think you could hang glide off of this mountain?"
La novia: "Dunno"
Me: "Probably 1k blocks..."
Her: "What?"
Me: "What?"

It's lookout mountain, Tennessee, if anybody is wondering. It may or may not have been illegal to get to the summit where I was...
Oooo, i live in Tennessee, although not that part of the state :p

Good logic for hang gliding :p

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Maybe we appear in a 90's childrens animation tv show?

Fuuuuuuuu.... Great, now I'm going to have Hexadecimal nightmares again....

My GF is more of a WoW player (and so was I). We were driving down a highway next to a farm, and she was mad she couldn't highlight the cows to see their level and if they were hostile or not.....

MC into RL? I work for a company that makes hand tools and saw blades. We have cobalt drill bits. I wondered if they used a diamond pick to get it or the wand of equal trade...

psp

Jul 29, 2019
You don't know when you get banned. You just... will Nnever remember anything. You wont even know you existed. You will not ever have existed in the first place.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Fuuuuuuuu.... Great, now I'm going to have Hexadecimal nightmares again....

My GF is more of a WoW player (and so was I). We were driving down a highway next to a farm, and she was mad she couldn't highlight the cows to see their level and if they were hostile or not.....

MC into RL? I work for a company that makes hand tools and saw blades. We have cobalt drill bits. I wondered if they used a diamond pick to get it or the wand of equal trade...
I'm wondering what mod they used to get drills as Tinker tools. ^^
Get on that, modders-who-read-this! :p