ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

firebreaker2262

Jul 29, 2019
No. My new world has three and they have trouble keeping up.

As of v24, no. The preheater and injector machines will not interact with any pipe type except mine. You can still spawn in drums of fusion plasma from ExtraUtils, but it might as well be glowstick fluid for how useful it is.
@Reika may I ask what the reason is for not letting the preheaters work with other pipes?

firebreaker2262

Jul 29, 2019
I would guess that it is to force you to use the properly magnetized plasma lines instead of flimsy copper fluiducts.
I can sort of understand that but I'm wondering why you can't use something like hot fluids ducts or something like that. mainly I wanted to use ender I/O to transport items because I can put more pipes in a smaller area

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I can sort of understand that but I'm wondering why you can't use something like hot fluids ducts or something like that. mainly I wanted to use ender I/O to transport items because I can put more pipes in a smaller area

Because plasma needs to be contained in a pipe that is magnetized to prevent it from actually touching the pipe and melting it. There is no other pipe in MC that can be magnetized to do the same thing, hence the restriction.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Regarding the pipes and the hydrogen preheaters: My question was about the magnetic containment pipes and the fusion plasma interacting with items of other mods. That does not work, and that makes complete sense because that plasma would destroy everything not specially made to contain it. Really. Everything. It's 150 million degrees hot after all. However, you *can* use other mods' pipes to transport deuterium and tritium to the preheaters. Reika said so in his tutorial video, and I have just confirmed that this has not changed in v24.

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Regarding the pipes and the hydrogen preheaters: My question was about the magnetic containment pipes and the fusion plasma interacting with items of other mods. That does not work, and that makes complete sense because that plasma would destroy everything not specially made to contain it. Really. Everything. It's 150 million degrees hot after all. However, you *can* use other mods' pipes to transport deuterium and tritium to the preheaters. Reika said so in his tutorial video, and I have just confirmed that this has not changed in v24.
There is one caveat in that the preheater multiblocks do not work if you use fluiducts for the pipe "inside" the bounds of the preheater box.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
There is one caveat in that the preheater multiblocks do not work if you use fluiducts for the pipe "inside" the bounds of the preheater box.
Not while you're building them, no, but once built you can remove the RotaryCraft fluid pipes and use fluiducts. Or, as in my case, fluid export buses, which can export two liquids, which leaves me one side of the preheater block free to read information from, once I find out if it's possible to read the temperature from it. BTW: is it?

I take it this is not quite as things were intended, but I would *really* like to have a preheater temperature display in my control room...

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not while you're building them, no, but once built you can remove the RotaryCraft fluid pipes and use fluiducts. Or, as in my case, fluid export buses, which can export two liquids, which leaves me one side of the preheater block free to read information from, once I find out if it's possible to read the temperature from it. BTW: is it?

I take it this is not quite as things were intended, but I would *really* like to have a preheater temperature display in my control room...
As of v25, you can read the temperature off of any part of the multiblock.

Also, I am going to make it so that you cannot have an open hole on the side, because that completely negates the insulation.

Reactions: Padfoote and Ieldra

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Is this only for building them or for functionality? I do require your pipes for them to form the multiblock, but if I then break those pipes and replace them (BC pipes in my case) the multiblock remains intact so I thought it would work. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, though, so now I'm a bit paranoid. :eek:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
As of v25, you can read the temperature off of any part of the multiblock.

Also, I am going to make it so that you cannot have an open hole on the side, because that completely negates the insulation.
Nice! I like it. Yes, the second part, too. I wonder about the implementation though: will there now be different variants of the multiblock or will the multiblock form, but the preheater won't work unless there's Thermal Insulation on on every side not occupied by pipes or the lens?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika: Can cooling fins be used on boilers for passive emergency reactor cooling, and can they be used on waste storage containers to reduce the temperature?

I can test these, but I'm asking if they do and if that is your intent? If you decide they shouldn't, I won't design anything around that idea. If it's intended I'll post some designs using those ideas for others to share.

I did discover the cooling fins next to lava add heat up to 2600C, but they cannot be used to kickstart a blast furnace higher than 630C.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika: Can cooling fins be used on boilers for passive emergency reactor cooling, and can they be used on waste storage containers to reduce the temperature?
Maybe, but I doubt it will be helpful.

Nice! I like it. Yes, the second part, too. I wonder about the implementation though: will there now be different variants of the multiblock or will the multiblock form, but the preheater won't work unless there's Thermal Insulation on on every side not occupied by pipes or the lens?
Simple isExposedToAir() test.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Here's a simple question about the HP turbine: where do you place the turbine dynamometer? The handbook says something about "at the back" but where exactly is that? I've seen people use front and back in different ways when talking about it. Intuitively I'd say the "Back" is where the steam goes in, which means I'd place it below the steam injectors? Behind them?

Also, does the normal dynamometer work with the HP turbine? I've read some posts saying that it doesn't. Knowing the relative speed is nice but knowing the total power output is also necessary.

And lastly, there's the lag issue with variable input on induction generators. I haven't run into it yet since my turbines aren't yet built, but I see this as a potentially critical problem since you can't avoid having variable input if you're running a turbine. I've thought about making some kind of power-capping mechanism but can't see a way to do that with the tools provided, since all power splitting mechanisms on the shaft power side split power equally between different lines rather than taking a fixed amount on one line and shunting the excess off to a second one. If you convert to RF (which may cause less lag with variable input, I don't know) and use an intermediate RF power storage in order to get a fixed output to induction generators, then you'll need banks of dozens of magnetostatics to convert that back into shaft power and Electricraft power. Is there any way around this problem?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And lastly, there's the lag issue with variable input on induction generators. I haven't run into it yet since my turbines aren't yet built, but I see this as a potentially critical problem since you can't avoid having variable input if you're running a turbine. I've thought about making some kind of power-capping mechanism but can't see a way to do that with the tools provided, since all power splitting mechanisms on the shaft power side split power equally between different lines rather than taking a fixed amount on one line and shunting the excess off to a second one. If you convert to RF (which may cause less lag with variable input, I don't know) and use an intermediate RF power storage in order to get a fixed output to induction generators, then you'll need banks of dozens of magnetostatics to convert that back into shaft power and Electricraft power. Is there any way around this problem?
Are you actually running the small turbines at all?

The HP turbine doesn't have variable output (its sweet). Also it can be run on ammonia for 150% output :)

BTW: @Reika has hinted that he might (might) be persuaded to created a block that would provide a fixed output for small turbines if you're willing to accept a 20% drop in output. This seems myabe a bit high to me: my LP turbines never drifted more than 10%. But if I were setting up infrastructure and lag was going to be an issue I'd take the 20% cut as a workable alternative.

I'm guessing if enough people show interest he'll pull the trigger on it.

I'm wondering what this mega-flywheel would be. (I shouldn't wonder. Reika told me once, I just forget)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The HP turbine doesn't have variable output? I didn't know that. Hmm...does that mean it either runs at full power or not at all? What do you need the turbine dynamometer for then?

Anyway, depending on how much I'll get into fission reactors I might run a smaller one here or there. I would accept a 20% loss if I had crippling technical issues.