ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The HP turbine doesn't have variable output? I didn't know that. Hmm...does that mean it either runs at full power or not at all? What do you need the turbine dynamometer for then?

Anyway, depending on how much I'll get into fission reactors I might run a smaller one here or there. I would accept a 20% loss if I had crippling technical issues.

I asked once what the t-dynamometer was for, and I totally forget the answer. Automation maybe?

Its output is steady, other than spin-up and spin-down. I guess that probably means you're right, its either happy or not (you're either supplying it with sufficient steam or not)

Between that and the lack of steam block updates, its a wondrous thing to behold.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm....the turbine dynamometer emits redstone based on the relative speed of the turbine compared to its maximum speed. Which means that either the HP turbine still has a variable speed but a fixed torque, or the turbine dynamometer is useless for the HP turbine. I vaguely recall some turbine gauges in that recently published fusion reactor setup.....I'm confused. Let's hope @Reika will clear that up.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I didn't consider that it could also be tiered.

If steam pressure is between A and B, you get 10% output, fixed.
If its between B and C, you get 20% output, fixed. And so forth.

I'm typically not excited about magical numbers as a programmer ( I like it when things scale in minute degrees) but for this application, where performance is a factor, it could be beneficial.

Just another possibility to consider :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hmm....the turbine dynamometer emits redstone based on the relative speed of the turbine compared to its maximum speed. Which means that either the HP turbine still has a variable speed but a fixed torque, or the turbine dynamometer is useless for the HP turbine. I vaguely recall some turbine gauges in that recently published fusion reactor setup.....I'm confused. Let's hope @Reika will clear that up.
The LP and HP turbines behave identically. While they have a steady steam supply, they accelerate until they reach their maximum speed. Torque is a function of steam supply and tends to vary within 1kNm.

As for the use of the dynamometer:
xDiDiPV.png

xmKutJ8.png

98rjgE9.png

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks. I sort of figured that, the only confusion arose because of the supposedly non-variable output. So...*is* there any way out of the "variable input for induction generators causes lag but we can't avoid variable output" situation?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
the only confusion arose because of the supposedly non-variable output.
All I can tell you is that the HP turbine had a static output via the dynamometer. Whether that's because its truly static, or a loss of precision on the numbers, or because I did it back on 24b, no idea.

As you're aware, the small turbine output jumps like a jack russell terrier.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks. I sort of figured that, the only confusion arose because of the supposedly non-variable output. So...*is* there any way out of the "variable input for induction generators causes lag but we can't avoid variable output" situation?

As a bit of a work around it should (haven't tested) be possible to covert directly to RF from the turbine, and then use magnetostatics to output directly into an ElectriCraft setup. Bit messy and less than precise, but it might work.

Reactions: Not_Steve

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
As a bit of a work around it should (haven't tested) be possible to covert directly to RF from the turbine, and then use magnetostatics to output directly via induction into an ElectriCraft setup. Bit messy and less than precise, but it might work.
Technically not "direct" but definitely a plausible idea :)

I wonder what the performance implications would be, but on the face of things I'd say it should work well.

Edit: forgot to mention a bit of a ftfy

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
All I can tell you is that the HP turbine had a static output via the dynamometer. Whether that's because its truly static, or a loss of precision on the numbers, or because I did it back on 24b, no idea.

As you're aware, the small turbine output jumps like a jack russell terrier.
That was because pre-v25 HP turbines absorbed far more steam than they were capable of generating. The torque calculations generated something like 100MNm of torque, but it got capped at 65kNm. Now, they only take in as much as they need, so it can often behave like the LP turbine. That said, supply enough steam, like from a fusion reactor, and you will lock it.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
As a bit of a work around it should (haven't tested) be possible to covert directly to RF from the turbine, and then use magnetostatics to output directly into an ElectriCraft setup. Bit messy and less than precise, but it might work.
I considered that, but the magnetostatic engines are capped at 256 MW. If the reactor generates 48 GW, which it should be capable of, then you'd need 192 magnetostatic engines, an insane shaft junction setup and a number of induction generators. Not feasible from several angles. Anyway, I will try to lock the output ;=) One HP turbine less won't hurt.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I considered that, but the magnetostatic engines are capped at 256 MW. If the reactor generates 48 GW, which it should be capable of, then you'd need 192 magnetostatic engines, an insane shaft junction setup and a number of induction generators. Not feasible from several angles. Anyway, I will try to lock the output ;=) One HP turbine less won't hurt.
Magnetostatics are capped at 67MW.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Woops I forgot about that. Another plan down the toilet.

I wonder if the pipe pump would help you lock the output. Have you played with it?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Woops I forgot about that. Another plan down the toilet.

I wonder if the pipe pump would help you lock the output. Have you played with it?
No, but I'm considering it. The thing is annoying to power though. I hate to use more than one gearbox.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No, but I'm considering it. The thing is annoying to power though. I hate to use more than one gearbox.
Really? I seemed to recall it drew very little power without particularly high speed or torque; don't see why two gearboxes (or any at all) should have been necessary.

But, its been a while since I looked at it.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Really? I seemed to recall it drew very little power without particularly high speed or torque; don't see why two gearboxes (or any at all) should have been necessary.

But, its been a while since I looked at it.
I'm judging from the description. It needs 4KW at 4krad/s. Not much power at all, but it's pure speed. Induction Motors are all relatively high in torque output, and even with a steam engine, I'd need a CVT if I don't want to waste power. Or I could use four DC engines and a 16x gearbox. Or a T1 magnetostatic with a CVT (I'll probably end up doing that since I don't want another connection on my main battery). It is not difficult, but it's an excessive amount of resources spent just to power a pipe pump.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Not to break the flow of conversation but how easy is it to update Monster to the latest versions? ElC is currently killing my server seemingly no matter what I do, not even because of variable input. I set up a system, no generator connected (so no power flow), relay>resistor>motor lines to drive my preheaters, toroid VDGs, and solenoid (so 9 relay/resistor combos, 6 of them with motors at the time), turned on the relays as a test, instant disconnect and TPS spike. Restarted the server, the moment it finished loading was already at 600+ms and climbing, couldn't even get in to try to diagnose the exact component causing the problem. I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with the relays in general or relay+red alloy wire interaction, since by itself, unpowered with no redstone signal, no problems. I can only hope updating will fix this, I've had to restore that age from backup just to make the server accessible again. :(

Reactions: Pyure

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Not to break the flow of conversation but how easy is it to update Monster to the latest versions? ElC is currently killing my server seemingly no matter what I do, not even because of variable input. I set up a system, no generator connected (so no power flow), relay>resistor>motor lines to drive my preheaters, toroid VDGs, and solenoid (so 9 relay/resistor combos, 6 of them with motors at the time), turned on the relays as a test, instant disconnect and TPS spike. Restarted the server, the moment it finished loading was already at 600+ms and climbing, couldn't even get in to try to diagnose the exact component causing the problem. I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with the relays in general or relay+red alloy wire interaction, since by itself, unpowered with no redstone signal, no problems. I can only hope updating will fix this, I've had to restore that age from backup just to make the server accessible again. :(
Technically, updating is easy. I didn't have any problems except ID conflicts with Ars Magica, which isn't normally in Monster. However, you need to break all your RotaryCraft engines before you update and replace them after the update, and you need to add lubricant logistics to all your magnetostatic engines. That didn't take me very long since I had the lubricant infrastructure in place, but it's still somewhat annoying.

Having said that, I was running all my fusion reactor components with induction motors before the update and didn't have such problems. That's four induction motors for the preheaters, four for the pipe containment and four for the toroid VDGs. Plus one for the solenoid, makes 13, with...hmm...all of them using resistors and four relays. The difference may be that I have Procyon batteries as buffer between the main Auroral battery and the systems running the pipe containment and the toroid VDGs. I also didn't have any tick lag even while those were running. I got tick lag only after I added the HP turbines, regardless of whether they're running or not.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Technically, updating is easy. I didn't have any problems except ID conflicts with Ars Magica, which isn't normally in Monster. However, you need to break all your RotaryCraft engines before you update and replace them after the update, and you need to add lubricant logistics to all your magnetostatic engines. That didn't take me very long since I had the lubricant infrastructure in place, but it's still somewhat annoying.

Having said that, I was running all my fusion reactor components with induction motors before the update and didn't have such problems. That's four induction motors for the preheaters, four for the pipe containment and four for the toroid VDGs. Plus one for the solenoid, makes 13, with...hmm...all of them using resistors and four relays. The difference may be that I have Procyon batteries as buffer between the main Auroral battery and the systems running the pipe containment and the toroid VDGs. I also didn't have any tick lag even while those were running. I got tick lag only after I added the HP turbines, regardless of whether they're running or not.
Thank you for the information. I noticed you were using the batteries, I don't have any in my setup...I wonder if somehow the electricraft pathing code is freaking out because there's no source and multiple destinations. Frustrating that I can't debug it very well. I can try rebuilding and adding intermediate batteries to see if it changes anything, do the batteries accept redstone to toggle output on/off, do you know, or must I use relays? (At work now but want to start planning how in the world I'm going to lay things out, heh.)
Thankfully adding lube won't be an issue, I can just change the basic logipipes providing rf power to fluid suppliers instead. I will need to redesign my low pressure turbine rooms though since that requirement got added. Does it matter where I connect the pipe to the turbine to inject lube? I assume it's at the same point the steam injects, but want to make sure.