ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Capacity is a function of torque; you need far more if you want to store more than a few bucket. Fluid input is horizontal, and fluids can be drawn out the top.
*Far* more than 8192 Nm? For a gas? Uh....that's....surprising. Also, nothing went into the compression chamber, not even a few buckets, but all right, I'll test this again.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
*Far* more than 8192 Nm? For a gas? Uh....that's....surprising. Also, nothing went into the compression chamber, not even a few buckets, but all right, I'll test this again.
The function is as follows:
Code:
  public int getCapacity(Fluid f) {
     int log2 = (int)(ReikaMathLibrary.logbase(torque, 2)/2);
     long power = ReikaMathLibrary.longpow(10, log2);
     int factor = f.isGaseous() ? 8 : 1;
     long frac = factor*(power/40);
     return (int)Math.min(frac, tank.getCapacity());
   }
Translated to traditional format, this is
6cbead5ded8bd2da523f0f04f37ca71b.png

Where chi is a scaling factor evaluated to 8 for gases and 1 for liquids.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Let me clarify my description of a hot vs cool reactor.

I tested configurations without any active cooling because the boilers will exchange heat with air at a lesser rate than water. If I could find a configuration where the heat distribution was sufficient to survive only passive air cooling, it should perform in a stable manner when actively cooled.

My definition of a cool reactor is a configuration where a flat reactor without any piping and with boilers and cores open to air, such that the reactor cores do not overheat with a full fuel load is used and left to bake for an extended interval (ie: until accumulated waste cools the reaction).

I define a hot reactor as one which would fail the air cooling test but may work with active water cooling.

A hot reactor will have higher efficiency and performance, but is more dangerous (ie: quickly goes out of control) and is more dependent on the quality of the cooling system. Water production and throughput bottlenecks are a real concern.

A cool reactor should be more stable overall as it should respond more slowly to changes in cooling. This does not mean it doesn't need cooling. A functioning system required piping to the cores and boilers which function as insulators and prevent any air cooling. The air cooling is a test method for optimizing heat distribution only, not a method for production use.

OK, so I added a second row of boilers round the outside of the square...if I wanted better cooling I should replace those with water source blocks instead? And would the same work for the fuel cores, Place water source blocks above them and it should provide better cooling than air without reducing neutron production?

As for water production, i'm using liquid transfer nodes, which have pretty prodigious throughput, plus i'm routing the water from my condensers back into the system. My concern with that would be more that I can't remember if it's possible to overfill a fluiduct to the point of breaking it rather than not having enough water at any point XD

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so I added a second row of boilers round the outside of the square...if I wanted better cooling I should replace those with water source blocks instead? And would the same work for the fuel cores, Place water source blocks above them and it should provide better cooling than air without reducing neutron production?

As for water production, i'm using liquid transfer nodes, which have pretty prodigious throughput, plus i'm routing the water from my condensers back into the system. My concern with that would be more that I can't remember if it's possible to overfill a fluiduct to the point of breaking it rather than not having enough water at any point XD

Don't use water source blocks for anything. Boilers boilers boilers. ;]

If you are piping anything into the top of something, that side is insulated.

LTN are great. I did a water study showing 190 buckets per second with 3xmining upgrade stacks and 1 stack of speed upgrades. Just make sure you have redundancy.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@malicious_bloke, dunno if you know, but you can right-click a steam line with the angular transducer to see the amount of steam inside. This can be useful for determining how many turbines you can add.

If you have a single turbine, and you check the steam level on the pipe entering the grate, and that level is rising, you know you can probably stand to add another turbine.

Couple other notes: I'd keep my grates a bit closer to the turbine (they're pretty far below). This is for a couple reasons:
1) the less time steam blocks exist, the better fps/block update performance you'll get
2) less steam is likely to "miss" the turbine altogether.

Also, unless you plan on using ammonia at some point, you can consider killing output steam altogether by placing a block (of your choice) directly under the output space (underneath where one might put a CVT to monitor power output). This again helps mitigate the steam block performance issues.

Really there's not much reason to do an ammonia loop these days; its more sensible to try to generate enough steam to warrant an HP turbine.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
v25 may introduce ammonia power in HP turbines.
I think this is excellent. You had mentioned once that adding ammonia to the HP might be a problem.

Doubling the HP output might possibly be excessive? I think even 130% output would convince people to create an ammonia loop. 150% would be a no brainer.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think this is excellent. You had mentioned once that adding ammonia to the HP might be a problem.

Doubling the HP output might possibly be excessive? I think even 130% output would convince people to create an ammonia loop. 150% would be a no brainer.

Code:
  @Override
   protected float getTorqueFactor() {
     return fluid.efficiency > 1 ? 1+(fluid.efficiency-1)*0.25F : fluid.efficiency;
   }
It is indeed 150%.

What did I say was the problem last time? I may have simply forgotten, but I do not see an immediate problem with it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Code:
  @Override
   protected float getTorqueFactor() {
     return fluid.efficiency > 1 ? 1+(fluid.efficiency-1)*0.25F : fluid.efficiency;
   }
It is indeed 150%.

What did I say was the problem last time? I may have simply forgotten, but I do not see an immediate problem with it.

Unfortunately my memory is terrible: I have no idea :( Maybe something to do with differentiating fluid types.

You were also interested in looking into a third (or more) fluid types, but I don't think anyone was able to convince you of any specific next-gen fluids.

Alternatively, something-better-than-water and less-than-ammonia would be neat. Just something to make cycling more mainstream.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Unfortunately my memory is terrible: I have no idea :( Maybe something to do with differentiating fluid types.
Any idea what thread?

You were also interested in looking into a third (or more) fluid types, but I don't think anyone was able to convince you of any specific next-gen fluids.
Alternatively, something-better-than-water and less-than-ammonia would be neat. Just something to make cycling more mainstream.
That one is not possible because the steam blocks cannot support more than two types.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it worked:
x9qob93.png

rMKf7Zs.png

I had my reservoirs set up exactly like this on my HP turbine (the one you were helping me troubleshoot in the Fission reactor design thread), but they were not collecting low pressure water.

I'll venture a guess that the HP turbine is buggy/not fully implemented in v23c, but I just thought I'd share that I was collecting in the appropriate manner and it wasn't working.

Also started having the ticking tile entity crashes on small (non-HP) turbines when they rapidly rearrange themselves. I am going to adjust my sync value when I get home to test for better client stability with respect to turbines.

As an alternative, are there any known issues with upgrading from 23c to latest in Monster?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Demosthenex