ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I do not believe you can transport the plasma through tesseracts, due to only being able to be transported through magnetic containment pipes.

Reactions: Padfoote

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Interestingly enough, LogisticsPipes registers the Plasma as a valid fluid, though I'm not sure if it can safely transport it yet. Something I should try later on (if I can ever figure out how to build the control room for my reactor...), though I have the feeling the extractor pipe may not handle it.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Interestingly enough, LogisticsPipes registers the Plasma as a valid fluid, though I'm not sure if it can safely transport it yet. Something I should try later on (if I can ever figure out how to build the control room for my reactor...), though I have the feeling the extractor pipe may not handle it.
If they can carry it, the plasma injector won't accept it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Does anyone know if one Hydrogen Preheater is enough to supply four Plasma Injectors? I am finding that if not, I may actually not have enough wool... I have 12k...I feel like in Agrarian Skies: "Your next quest is to collect 20000 wool. Reward: a fusion reactor blueprint".
No. My new world has three and they have trouble keeping up.

Also I'm wondering if you can send fusion plasma through a tesseract. LOL, I don't think I've ever done so much testing for a MC building project. Too bad I can't test this too far in advance because I need a functional hydrogen preheater.
As of v24, no. The preheater and injector machines will not interact with any pipe type except mine. You can still spawn in drums of fusion plasma from ExtraUtils, but it might as well be glowstick fluid for how useful it is.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
No. My new world has three and they have trouble keeping up.
As of v24, no. The preheater and injector machines will not interact with any pipe type except mine. You can still spawn in drums of fusion plasma from ExtraUtils, but it might as well be glowstick fluid for how useful it is.
All right. No matter - since I need four of them anyway I might as well build them near their targets. But just out of curiosity: what about pipe connections to tesseracts? That's what I was thinking about: piping the plasma out of a preheater in the regular magnetic pipe and through a tesseract into another magnetic pipe that ends in an injector. I didn't want to circumvent powering the pipes, just to avoid long piping cluttering things up.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
All right. No matter - since I need four of them anyway I might as well build them near their targets. But just out of curiosity: what about pipe connections to tesseracts? That's what I was thinking about: piping the plasma out of a preheater in the regular magnetic pipe and through a tesseract into another magnetic pipe that ends in an injector. I didn't want to circumvent powering the pipes, just to avoid long piping cluttering things up.
Pipes will not connect to tesseracts.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
FYI, Ieldra, your infrastructure OCD is probably the lead contributing factor in my minecraft education these days.
I am a little obsessive, aren't I? That's why it took me so long to get to jet fuel. Build no permanent processing facility without having a supporting infrastructure, which means automated fuel production. Having said that, you can't be bad at this if you're powering your whole base off an auroral battery.

And...as for powering the auxiliary machines for the fusion reactor with RF instead of using RoC mechanics, as I'm sure some people will complain about: I've said before that I'm not willing to abandon the adaptability of an RF network for a purist playstyle I don't believe in, and anyway RotaryCraft's tech level doesn't really fit that of the fusion reactor.

Reactions: Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika, all I can say is i made it three times, took out one block, shutdown the server and set sync to 1 in the server config. Started it back up, placed the last block and *pop* it assembled. Shutdown, reverted to sync 20. Startup it's still there, break one block out and replace it, it refuses to assemble.

So from the programming side I understand you assert it isn't related. From the user experience, I can consistently replicate this pattern where the sync is somehow preventing me from doing it. Or the sync is the only variable I changed.
I am playing on a server with it set to 10 and have no issues. And again, there is no relation in code, so I cannot see how it would have any effect.

Sync packet delay only controls how often the server sends packets to the client. The multiblock checker is a simple "are these blocks here" check, and has no syncing functionality.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing on a server with it set to 10 and have no issues. And again, there is no relation in code, so I cannot see how it would have any effect.

Sync packet delay only controls how often the server sends packets to the client. The multiblock checker is a simple "are these blocks here" check, and has no syncing functionality.

Unfortunately I didn't say it made sense. I'm just reporting that it wouldn't assemble until the server had been restarted with a sync of 1. Luckily that's a workaround I won't have to do often.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Unfortunately I didn't say it made sense. I'm just reporting that it wouldn't assemble until the server had been restarted with a sync of 1. Luckily that's a workaround I won't have to do often.
Reika, all I can say is i made it three times, took out one block, shutdown the server and set sync to 1 in the server config. Started it back up, placed the last block and *pop* it assembled. Shutdown, reverted to sync 20. Startup it's still there, break one block out and replace it, it refuses to assemble.

Hey @Demosthenex.

I noticed a tiny quirk in your test above.
* Breakblock, shutdown, setsync:1, restart, place block ---> Works
* Shutdown, setsync:20, restart, breakblock, place block ---> Doesn't work

I'm curious what happens if you do the exact same pattern in both tests (where you break the block before or after the restart consistently)

This may assist the modder in identifying a problem on your end or his.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Hey @Demosthenex.

I noticed a tiny quirk in your test above.
* Breakblock, shutdown, setsync:1, restart, place block ---> Works
* Shutdown, setsync:20, restart, breakblock, place block ---> Doesn't work

I'm curious what happens if you do the exact same pattern in both tests (where you break the block before or after the restart consistently)

This may assist the modder in identifying a problem on your end or his.
Overall I gave a summary, I'm not sure that the order one off isn't an artifact of my description.

Next time I make one, I'll follow the same steps identically. Otoh, it was very consistent with sync:1 that I was able to build it several times and always in single player, but on sync 20 I build it and failed repeatedly in several locations confined and outdoors. Note that the final working installation is in the confined space.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Overall I gave a summary, I'm not sure that the order one off isn't an artifact of my description.

Next time I make one, I'll follow the same steps identically. Otoh, it was very consistent with sync:1 that I was able to build it several times and always in single player, but on sync 20 I build it and failed repeatedly in several locations confined and outdoors. Note that the final working installation is in the confined space.

Right, just checking. The reason I even suggested it was because restarts themselves tend to fix an awful lot of problems for Horizons/Monster. Its theoretically possible that breaking a block in the multiblock causes a problem which is only repaired by restarting. In which case the sync20 restart wouldn't have helped because (I thought) you had broken the block after the restart.

If true, it would mean it was the restart itself fixing the issue, and nothing to do with the sync setting. Theoretically :)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Right, just checking. The reason I even suggested it was because restarts themselves tend to fix an awful lot of problems for Horizons/Monster. Its theoretically possible that breaking a block in the multiblock causes a problem which is only repaired by restarting. In which case the sync20 restart wouldn't have helped because (I thought) you had broken the block after the restart.

If true, it would mean it was the restart itself fixing the issue, and nothing to do with the sync setting. Theoretically :)

I'm a programmer as well, I like systems. ;]

I do recall trying to see if the restart was the cause. It was not, because after I built the turbine at sync 1 I tried after another restart at sync 20 to confirm it was still broken. I don't think the restart is related. Like I said before, we're running MCPC+ (not that we have a choice, that's another story) so I don't want to take too many of Reika's cycles when I have a workaround.

The thing I'm encountering now which is very frustrating is I prototyped waste storage in single player and let it run full of waste for a day to ensure it was stable. With only 6 pellets outputting waste I blew up my storage container on the server using the same layout. I'm wondering if MCPC isn't re-creating water fast enough or something. I don't want to just void the waste, but twice now I've had designs explode that tested fine in SP. It's very frustrating.

First the depth temperature might have been the cause, the new depth is -20C, and I can't imagine the container was even full. There's no evidence of 64 stacking though I'm using item ducts. I'm at a loss.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm a programmer as well, I like systems. ;]

I do recall trying to see if the restart was the cause. It was not, because after I built the turbine at sync 1 I tried after another restart at sync 20 to confirm it was still broken. I don't think the restart is related. Like I said before, we're running MCPC+ (not that we have a choice, that's another story) so I don't want to take too many of Reika's cycles when I have a workaround.

The thing I'm encountering now which is very frustrating is I prototyped waste storage in single player and let it run full of waste for a day to ensure it was stable. With only 6 pellets outputting waste I blew up my storage container on the server using the same layout. I'm wondering if MCPC isn't re-creating water fast enough or something. I don't want to just void the waste, but twice now I've had designs explode that tested fine in SP. It's very frustrating.

First the depth temperature might have been the cause, the new depth is -20C, and I can't imagine the container was even full. There's no evidence of 64 stacking though I'm using item ducts. I'm at a loss.
I forgot you were a programmer. I shoulda remembered that and not spouted off basic debugging protocol :/

I don't recall the specifics, but Reika has in the past highly recommended against using ItemDucts (specifically) for handling waste.

Personally, I find the waste system unnecessarily punishing and highly not-fun. If I were still playing the mod I'd push hard for some changes in this area.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot you were a programmer. I shoulda remembered that and not spouted off basic debugging protocol :/

I don't recall the specifics, but Reika has in the past highly recommended against using ItemDucts (specifically) for handling waste.

Personally, I find the waste system unnecessarily punishing and highly not-fun. If I were still playing the mod I'd push hard for some changes in this area.

The issue he described with itemducts was that they placed stacks in slots that should only hold 1 waste. I believe this must have been fixed because in my testing I have not encountered the stacking behavior.

I am a bit surprised that my PBR is putting out more power than my small fission and it has no hot waste. My players are encouraging me to just use a trashcan because things aren't working reliably on the server side. :p

I'm trying a few versions with hand placed waste to see if it's chunk loading related, etc. Server restart had no effect. I've filled one container with waste and it never goes over 66C underwater, and another with half cobble half waste and it's not going over 20C. These seem to eat up some CPU time in Opis too, maybe another reason to just void the waste.

I'll keep tinkering.

Reactions: Pyure

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
@Demosthenex I honestly believe MCPC is causing your problem. In the past, it has caused everything to force logs not working in a squeezer, but it does work in the magma crucible. I once had a Big Reactor refuse to form from MCPC. I'm not saying to remove it, because I understand you need it. Besides you have solved your problem, albeit with a method that should have nothing to do with it(Again, MCPC). Just expressing my opinion.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
@Demosthenex I honestly believe MCPC is causing your problem. In the past, it has caused everything to force logs not working in a squeezer, but it does work in the magma crucible. I once had a Big Reactor refuse to form from MCPC. I'm not saying to remove it, because I understand you need it. Besides you have solved your problem, albeit with a method that should have nothing to do with it(Again, MCPC). Just expressing my opinion.

I agree with you there. I'm testing in creative on the server now...

There's a reason I said I don't want to waste Reika's cycles. I understand why MCPC+ breaks so many things. My issue is for a server it fixes so many things we can't run without it. I've worked to remove as many buggy interactions as I can. I found a workaround for the HP turbine, so that's ok.

As to the waste, I'm wondering if our chunk loader timeout is part of the problem. I'm still experimenting, but I'm certain the waste issue is caused by our server settings. It could be something as simple as a slower water regen period.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you there. I'm testing in creative on the server now...

There's a reason I said I don't want to waste Reika's cycles. I understand why MCPC+ breaks so many things. My issue is for a server it fixes so many things we can't run without it. I've worked to remove as many buggy interactions as I can. I found a workaround for the HP turbine, so that's ok.

As to the waste, I'm wondering if our chunk loader timeout is part of the problem. I'm still experimenting, but I'm certain the waste issue is caused by our server settings. It could be something as simple as a slower water regen period.
EVOC fixes most of the sane bugs as MCPC and is more supported than it.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
EVOC fixes most of the sane bugs as MCPC and is more supported than it.

I agree MCPC+ provides some of those same optimizations, but for us Bukkit plugins are a must. WorldBorder, WorldEdit, BanItems, and Essentials have no full Forge replacement (yet). Many are coming along though.