ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my set up:

-pics-

Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong?

Radiation-poisoned terrain, HP Turbine block spam, and assorted craters are from when my first and subsequent PJFs went kablooey - the first one took out my breeder reactor and the next ones spread radiation, because explosions! :p

T=873C is the final temperature with and without oxygen.

Water cools the furnace too much for making steel.

Use cooling fins instead.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
[edit] ^I thought I broke that sumbich! :p
[edit2] Radiation makes aura nodes spam taint? LOL! Another excellent reason to not let a reactor get away from you in a live SMP environment! XD

As I said in my earlier posts, the fins don't stabilize the temperature below 1000C, even with two fans powered to 131KW blowing across them. Additionally, the changelog suggests that oxygen is used to safely increase the temperature of the accelerate the PJF, thus accelerating its operational speed.

RotaryCraft: Oxygen can now be fed into the pulse jet to make it burn hotter and faster
RotaryCraft: Pulse jet runs faster if hotter

https://sites.google.com/site/reikasminecraft/changelogs

Last edited:

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmmmmmmm... That's an interesting observation. To the test chamber!

Same results. First law of thermal dynamics.

Use a duty cycle. Also, see my above reply.
That's easy enough, and I hate to keep banging on about it, but what I'm struggling with is the inconsistency with the description in the change log and the observed ΔT. The entry in v20f suggests that oxygen should allow the PJF to (safely?) attain higher temperatures; however, the PJF in my test world remains static at 873C with/without accelerant. Is this bug? Or a change in the intended behavior post v20F? (currently running v7f)

I've removed the Ender IO fluid conduits and creative tanks, replacing them with RoC pipes/ducts/lines/reservoirs in order to make sure that there are no mod interactions in my set up that might be causing this.

2557yut.png

Last edited:

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, newbie to Rotary- and Reactorcraft here.
So, I've been through most of the stuff of Rotarycraft (mainly all the way through the main stuff, didn't bother much yet with most utilityblocks n stuff).
So I thought it would be time to get a little reactor set up. Went for a HTGR, as this is actually my first tech mod and it was called fairly save compared to the other types :p
Got it up and running (with a few problems, nearly all of them steam related) and it does output it's power pretty constant.
I'm not one to test much in creative (was actually the first time I did actual testing in creative) so I figured I could at least about some ratio's of Cores, CO2 Exchanger, Heat Exchanger, Steam Boiler and Turbines. I think my current setup overdid it way too much, as I seem to produce way too much steam for my single turbine.
On that note, is it possible to store the steam, so I can only run the Turbine when I need it to? Asking this since it's causing quite a bit of lag when you're near it. Playing on a server btw, it's completely fine when I'm doing it in singleplayer. Or is even that possible to fix, maybe I'm still using a suboptimal setup regarding the steam?

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, figured. Just "felt" a bit wrong, so I hoped for some other kind of actual storage. But I guess if it works, it works.
Also figured out some more stuff for myself (was using way too many heat exchanger+boiler...).
Ran into another problem though, which I can't seem to figure out. Since I still had steam getting stuck in the turbine, I figured I'm still producing too much, so I was gonna split it between 2 turbines. Well, went ahead and made a second line, split right after it's out from the boiler. No steam going through the second line. Thought it could maybe be because the first line still had the pressure (read: leftover steam) in it, while the new one didn't, so replaced the whole line. Now it only went through the new one? Well, maybe it's because the thing is shorter than the old... Made both of them same lenght, replaced the whole pipes, as well as the boiler and the grates, so there's absolutely no lefterover steam anywhere. Still only going through the new line.
So, is there any way to have 2 different outputs from the same boiler (and I've read about people running 2 turbines with 1 boiler, so I guess it is) and if so, how do you control the steam flow?

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Ran into another problem though, which I can't seem to figure out. Since I still had steam getting stuck in the turbine, I figured I'm still producing too much, so I was gonna split it between 2 turbines. Well, went ahead and made a second line, split right after it's out from the boiler. No steam going through the second line. Thought it could maybe be because the first line still had the pressure (read: leftover steam) in it, while the new one didn't, so replaced the whole line. Now it only went through the new one? Well, maybe it's because the thing is shorter than the old... Made both of them same lenght, replaced the whole pipes, as well as the boiler and the grates, so there's absolutely no lefterover steam anywhere. Still only going through the new line.
So, is there any way to have 2 different outputs from the same boiler (and I've read about people running 2 turbines with 1 boiler, so I guess it is) and if so, how do you control the steam flow?
Steam getting "stuck" in a turbine is normal, it's how a turbine works. The turbine should be receiving a constant stream of steam or its output will constantly fluctuate, which is a bad thing. The grate shouldn't release more steam than one turbine can use, so you won't be wasting anything there.

Reactorcraft steam lines are very simple functionally, there isn't any kind of "network" they establish like RoC shafts or RF conduits or whatever. Boilers output to a pipe, which has an internal "tank", and when there's enough difference between the amount of steam in that pipe's tank and any adjacent tanks (other pipes, steam grates, or the HP turbine thing), steam pressure is balanced between that pipe and adjacent pipes/tanks. Since pipes are just individual entities interacting with one another, there should be absolutely no problem connecting all your boilers to the same line, then branching that line off as needed for turbines.

You can test your pipes with an angular transducer to see exactly how much steam they're holding. As one might imagine, if the amount of steam in the pipes is gradually increasing, you're using steam slower than it is being produced, and vice versa. As noted before, steam lines have an effectively infinite capacity, so don't worry about filling them up and having them burst or whatever. Also keep in mind you can toggle steam grates with redstone if you want to shut down your turbines and save the steam for later.

Oh, and make absolutely sure you're either voiding or reclaiming your steam. Letting it float off into the atmosphere causes tons of block updates and will seriously impact server and client performance. To void it, place a block at the end of the turbine where the steam normally exits and instead of floating away it just gets deleted; this is technically a bug-turned-feature, which everyone agrees is useful enough Reika isn't planning to fix it. Otherwise, build a funnel and reclaim your steam with a condenser, repressurize it with a pressurizer and feed it back into your boilers; if you're only using normal water steam instead of ammonia, and you're not playing with finite water, I personally wouldn't bother with steam reclamation and just void it instead.

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the extensive answer!
Alright, knowing the grate will just release as much as the turbine can deal with helps alot.

Reactorcraft steam lines are very simple functionally, there isn't any kind of "network" they establish like RoC shafts or RF conduits or whatever. Boilers output to a pipe, which has an internal "tank", and when there's enough difference between the amount of steam in that pipe's tank and any adjacent tanks (other pipes, steam grates, or the HP turbine thing), steam pressure is balanced between that pipe and adjacent pipes/tanks. Since pipes are just individual entities interacting with one another, there should be absolutely no problem connecting all your boilers to the same line, then branching that line off as needed for turbines.

Alright, apparently I didn't have enough water in my system to keep up...
Holy shit, that's alot of water that thing needs.

And yea, was currently using the closed system for the water/steam. Tho I still lost some of it somewhere, no idea where tho (set up another condenser at the top of the thing, to catch any steam that might've evaded the first one, otherwise closed room).
Mainly just so I don't have to switch the build (and to test it), if I were to use ammonia.

Or just use a steam scrubber.

I guess it just void's the steam when it comes in contact with it? Can't find anything about it in the handbook and I'm having actual trouble finding info about your mods online.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Alright, apparently I didn't have enough water in my system to keep up...
Holy shit, that's alot of water that thing needs.
Your best bets are ExtraUtils liquid transfer nodes with a bunch upgrades, or a Rotarycraft pump or dew point aggregator.
Note that for the latter, the amount of water produced per operation in mB is torque^2*humidity, where humidity is defined here, so that thing can be powered up to creating up to 128 buckets per tick out of thin air.
Not nearly as useful if you're reclaiming your water, but if you ever get to the point of running a large reactor or especially a tokamak, some combination of those machines is essential.

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
Your best bets are ExtraUtils liquid transfer nodes with a bunch upgrades, or a Rotarycraft pump or dew point aggregator.
Note that for the latter, the amount of water produced per operation in mB is torque^2*humidity, where humidity is defined here, so that thing can be powered up to creating up to 128 buckets per tick out of thin air.
Not nearly as useful if you're reclaiming your water, but if you ever get to the point of running a large reactor or especially a tokamak, some combination of those machines is essential.

Yea, gonna switch to the liquid transfer nodes. Used a Rotarycraft pump before, but that thing keeps eating my source blocks at max speed. Currently having a 5x3 water source and still need to refill it partly sometimes. Unless I wanna wake up again and have my machines run dry..
I'll check out the Dew Point Aggregator tho, thanks for the tip.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yea, gonna switch to the liquid transfer nodes. Used a Rotarycraft pump before, but that thing keeps eating my source blocks at max speed. Currently having a 5x3 water source and still need to refill it partly sometimes. Unless I wanna wake up again and have my machines run dry..
I'll check out the Dew Point Aggregator tho, thanks for the tip.
You want a DPA.