ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There is no way to do this without making steam a TileEntity, which would be a very bad idea.
Not familiar with TileEntities so I'll have to take your word for it. I personally care absolutely nothing for seeing a million steam blocks taking up resources so I'd love to think up another angle on the steam representation here.

Edited to indicate "Tangent:"
My reactor is currently doing a weird thing where it constantly flips 180 degrees from the direction I originally pointed it. The multiple turbines front-to-back form a sort of multi-block as I understand it? Its like a block update is wiping out which order the turbines were placed. The reactor itself seems to flip from 940MW to 0MW as a result, probably introducing a very tiny amount of inefficiency to my overall output. Placing a shaft junction at the turbine output produces "ERROR" on WAILA; possibly related.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not familiar with TileEntities so I'll have to take your word for it. I personally care absolutely nothing for seeing a million steam blocks taking up resources so I'd love to think up another angle on the steam representation here.

Edited to indicate "Tangent:"
My reactor is currently doing a weird thing where it constantly flips 180 degrees from the direction I originally pointed it. The multiple turbines front-to-back form a sort of multi-block as I understand it? Its like a block update is wiping out which order the turbines were placed. The reactor itself seems to flip from 940MW to 0MW as a result, probably introducing a very tiny amount of inefficiency to my overall output. Placing a shaft junction at the turbine output produces "ERROR" on WAILA; possibly related.
Do you have tons of block updates?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Pardon my ignorance Reika. How are block updates measured? What's a substantial number?

I sort of assumed the steam blocks themselves were incurring block updates, although that's pure speculation.

My base is pitifully small. Within the immediate 5x5 chunk radius centered on the reactor I have an industrial coil-charging station, two performance engines, 20 magical crops, 2 fans, 4 DC electric engines, 10 rotary wind-mills (way above), 20 rotary solar panels, 3 rotary solar tower pieces, and a bunch of water piping here and there. The steam boilers are fed via liquiducts rather than any Rotary piping. The boilers are always at maximum capacity.

If the strange behaviour is normal, I can deal with that, just curious.

Important edit: reproduced this behaviour once in a test world with basically only a running reactor in existence and nothing else. I'm 99% sure I had a test-world reactor going without the strange behaviour.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Pardon my ignorance Reika. How are block updates measured? What's a substantial number?

I sort of assumed the steam blocks themselves were incurring block updates, although that's pure speculation.

My base is pitifully small. Within the immediate 5x5 chunk radius centered on the reactor I have an industrial coil-charging station, two performance engines, 20 magical crops, 2 fans, 4 DC electric engines, 10 rotary wind-mills (way above), 20 rotary solar panels, 3 rotary solar tower pieces, and a bunch of water piping here and there. The steam boilers are fed via liquiducts rather than any Rotary piping. The boilers are always at maximum capacity.

If the strange behaviour is normal, I can deal with that, just curious.

Important edit: reproduced this behaviour once in a test world with basically only a running reactor in existence and nothing else. I'm 99% sure I had a test-world reactor going without the strange behaviour.
Steam flowing everywhere will cause tons of updates, yes.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...You were not condensing it before?
No sir. It was framed as a utility to preserve water realistically in a cycle. Situated as I am beside an ocean, I don't recycle water.

Framed as a utility to save my computer from white-flagging however, I can see the benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fraction2

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
"...and make a vid about it since pyure checks his Reika youtube subscription every evening"

Good thinking.
I am going to get my old texture pack (created in b1.8.1, and which I used through 1.4, but broken by 1.5) working before I do that. That and some in-game construction stuff. Hint: I collected 38K magnetite for it.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That and some in-game construction stuff. Hint: I collected 38K magnetite for it.
hah nice, I'm up to a big 2k magnetite so far. Doing my own collecting since you said only top players can work on certain unspecified projects. The only thing really holding me back is a lack of silk touch books for my borers.

Fission power means I can do some serious strip mining now. I didn't realize how much power 6TJ was until I left a borer on 4096*4096 (geared for speed) for hours and barely put a dent in it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...You were not condensing it before?
I wanted to pass along that condensing the steam blocks during a brief test last night seemed to remove my graphical glitches. This is also in accordance with your FAQ regarding block updates and rendering problems.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
hah nice, I'm up to a big 2k magnetite so far. Doing my own collecting since you said only top players can work on certain unspecified projects. The only thing really holding me back is a lack of silk touch books for my borers.

Fission power means I can do some serious strip mining now. I didn't realize how much power 6TJ was until I left a borer on 4096*4096 (geared for speed) for hours and barely put a dent in it.
You are probably going to want this.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/how-to-transfer-4000-items-per-second.43540/#post-595041

Also, guess what this is for:
azdNpTZ.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No idea :( partially-busted frames look like a BC quarry or filler, but I can see some rotary-ish looking machines on the left side (not at the corner where a BC machine would be.) If you put a gun to my head and made me guess I'd say you were clearing space for a tokamak. And intersecting the water in bottom-right is probably deliberate for some reason.