RC/ReC/ElC/CC Policy Changes

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I read some of the mean anti-Reika comments and reposted to this thread and its very terrible and childish behavior and I am certain people are going out of their way to annoy him intentionally. And I am certain that these new rules are only going to further fuel these attacks. This is just a symptom of an enormous social problem with young people that I dont see any hope of ever being solved by any means. The only thing you can do is try to is not get anyone angry enough to go after me personally.

Reactions: xbony2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The only thing you can do is try to is not get anyone angry enough to go after me personally.
Or just not give a shit about what some plebe on the internet thinks.

Anyone who has a poor opinion of me is clearly a poor judge of character and my intellectual inferior. Why should I care what that person thinks.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft: The new GregTech. A mod everyone hates and no one uses.

Reika. Just stop. Please. Do you seriously expect people to follow these rules ON TOP of any other rules that might already apply from other mod authors? Have you ever created a modpack? It's a lot of work, assuming the author of the pack is doing everything in accordance to posted rules by mod authors and pack-hosting launchers like FTB.

In case you never made a modpack, let me give you an idea of what's involved... heck, I'll tell you what I do just to UPDATE my pack.

First, I have to gather a list of bugs and issues that are reported to me on a daily bases. Yes, everytime I get a bug report, I make note of it as any good pack author would.

I then have to reach out to the mod author's issue tracker to either see if the bug already exists, or submit a report myself. Chances are, the bug has already been reported, saving me time. If so, I take note of any provided solution. Let's just assume for a moment best case scenario - the bug has already been fixed an pushed to a newer version of the mod. Cool, that means I just need to update the mod.

But, here's the problem... is the updated mod compatible with the other 50-100 mods in my pack? Time to test it! Oh, what's this? The newest version was updated for a new Forge version, which changed something, breaking compatibility with other mods in my pack? Well, time to see if those incompatible mods are updated! No? Time to reach out to those mod devs and get an ETA on an update... assuming they are even aware that their mod needs updating.

This is an ongoing cycle if I want to keep my pack up to date to minimize bugs and crashes. It can get ugly at times. There's already a great deal of effort spent on ensuring my pack is kept up to date *and* stable. Sometimes, an issue will arise that requires *immediate* attention - the kind of bugs that get overlooked in a test build, but can cause more issues than a mere client crash. These kind of issues demand an overnight update, like downgrading the problem mod or applying a hotfix. But I can't do overnight fixes! Why not? Because FTB has to approve *all* pack updates, which can take up to 48 hours. I run my pack across multiple platforms, and while I could update the pack on Technic immediately, I won't update my server until all platforms have been updated to ensure everyone can download the latest build.

So, if I include your mod in my pack, and I have to contact you to get approval *even if* I didn't update your mod at all, that creates more wait time before I can even submit the pack to FTB for approval to update. I have a life Reika. I work, and I like to spend my evenings doing things other than bug fixing and managing my modpack. Sometimes, I want to actually play Minecraft. Simply put, I'm not going to use any mod that increases my wait time and effort in updating my pack outside of usual bug fixing and the FTB approval process.

Let me also remind you NO ONE is getting paid for any of this. Not you. Not I. Not anyone. So, if effort > satisfaction, then I won't do it. Nobody will. Why do you think mods die out and stop getting updated? Because people get burnt out. They stop enjoying what they doing. They no longer get satisfaction from providing a FREE thing to the modding community. We've seen it happen to even the best of mods.

Here is my recommendation, Reika. Just use a license to protect your mod from theft/monitization/unauthorized use of your code. Simple. "But, but... my progression and mod's design intent! I want it to stay intact!" Ok, I understand. Then how about coding it in a way/close sourcing parts of it so that they simply can't be modified by normal means. I say normal means because if someone is determined enough to alter parts of your mod that you don't approve of, then chances are they won't give a damn about your policy either and ignore it. I'm sure you heard of an API. I'm no programmer, but isn't that your "gateway" where you can control what can and can't be modified?

And your policy on OreDict values? Don't make me laugh. Scripts can be edited IN-GAME and reloaded with a single command. What will stop servers/single players from adding OreDict values on the fly? Sure, they might lose these modifications to the script through updates, because you won't approve them, but it's not hard to keep backups of a file and load it after the update. Good try, though.
I am fairly sure that this is not the case, and you would only have to contact Reika if you made a change, or if you are starting a new pack. You are not expected to inform Reika about updates.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Or just not give a shit about what some plebe on the internet thinks.

Anyone who has a poor opinion of me is clearly a poor judge of character and my intellectual inferior. Why should I care what that person thinks.

Yeah I agree there but when I say personal I mean like intruding into your social life, threats of murder and such. Theres a lot of little assholes out there willing to go to that extreme, sometimes they are very intelligent and its often hard to tell who is being serious. So I feel for Reika but I think this new set of rules will forever haunt him and motivate the trolls, the liars and the crazies to keep up the pressure til he quits modding. Maybe he should just make the mods SSP only.

Reika I do not hate you. You are the most in-touch with the community modder I know of and I love that. I like that you speak your mind. Your mods are interesting and really unique and your multiblocks are freaking awesome.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I read some of the mean anti-Reika comments and reposted to this thread and its very terrible and childish behavior and I am certain people are going out of their way to annoy him intentionally. And I am certain that these new rules are only going to further fuel these attacks. This is just a symptom of an enormous social problem with young people that I dont see any hope of ever being solved by any means. The only thing you can do is try to is not get anyone angry enough to go after me personally.
If this were just a bunch of idiot kids, I would not care about them as much as I do. The problem is, many of them are not. Many of the most vitriolic and hostile people towards me are adults - some will explicitly mention spouses, children, and jobs - and many are mod developers, streamers, pack makers, and so on. The problem is that even adults, and often ones supposed to positively represent the community at that, act the same way. Often times they will be a little more careful with word choice to avoid post removal or getting banned, but the connotations remain the same and, as before, when it comes to private conversation, or conversation with less moderation, things often get rather more strongly phrased.

And then we get this from less than 6 hours ago:
RotaryCraft: The new GregTech. A mod everyone hates and no one uses.
And liked by @SynfulChaot, meaning two people, at least one of which is an adult (and I strongly suspect both are), and both with good standing, share the sentiment and feel safe openly saying it.

More often, however, people with some standing do not come to me directly. They start using their power to influence their followers, to get them to mob me and drown me in a torrent of abuse. I know of three mod developers, two streamers, and five pack devs - all but one of which (one of the streamers) are well-respected members here - who have done - and in some cases still continue to do - that. Case in point: The former RR leads (in particular Velocitan) used to do this, and the rumors they deliberately started still persist two years later to the point where it forms the foundation of roughly half of the vitriol I currently get. Go to any reddit thread, including the currently active ones about this policy change, "why no RotaryCraft", or RotaryFlux, and you will find dozens of often-aggressive posts all going back to rumors about crashing with Minetweaker, rumors about my rationale for the rules I have, rumors about the performance my mods get, and so on. And then look at all those people using those as a basis to say things like "good thing I won't touch RotaryCraft and tell everyone on my server to do the same" or "no wonder noone likes Reika" or "can we get Reika permanently barred from the community?".

In most packs.
...?

The tools and abilities offered by Rotary/ChromatiCraft eclipse most other mods in terms of how powerful - or, if misused, how destructive - they are. No pack, short of removing the items entirely, can change that, meaning that the mods will be among the most powerful, and thus why breaking them is more dangerous than something like making endgame ThaumCraft available.

And why do you think that is? Take other equally complex mods (and they do exist) and ask yourself why those modders get less flak.
Few other mods are as complex; GT is the example everyone always goes to, and TC sort of compares, but is largely exempt from the "taking changes as native behavior" issue. Also, again, because of the power level disparity, breaking RC/CC/etc have much more severe consequences, often world-killing.

My understanding is that the individual could have represented his case under the new rules and possibly earned an allowance to make the changes he wanted provided he was able to give a sufficiently compelling argument.
Under the new rules, that user could have come to me and requested "I want to replace bedrock ingots with compressed cobble in all recipes, because bedrock is too easy". Whereupon I would say two things. One, "have you tried?" - because most people who phrase things like that have not - and two "that will actually make things easier, not harder", and explain why. If he is reasonable, he will then back off from wanting to make that change, realizing that he is not going to get the result he wants. If he is not, and that guy certainly was not, he would probably make the change anyway and then whine at me when his server implodes.

-perfect post-
I wish I could give more than one like. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1M Industries

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...?

The tools and abilities offered by Rotary/ChromatiCraft eclipse most other mods in terms of how powerful - or, if misused, how destructive - they are. No pack, short of removing the items entirely - can change that, meaning that the mods will be among the most powerful, and thus why breaking them is more dangerous than something like making endgame ThaumCraft available.
Why on earth are you question-marking this? You even say "most other." This doesn't even need qualifying because you're already pointing out that your mods aren't necessarily the absolute pinnacle of modding complexity.

"In most packs" means exactly that. At the extreme end of plausibility, if I want to, I can have a pack where a vanilla crafting table is more complex to make than a ReactorCraft Fusion Reactor. I'm not suggesting that this is likely or common, the point is that the policies in place assume that we're making packs like we did three years ago, when we were limited to using mods precisely how they were provided.

That's no longer the case, and as a result the packs we've seen have absolutely exploded in diversity and creativity. Some modders may still try to hold onto the older days of what-you-see-is-what-you-get, but as with all things, if there's a strong enough desire for a thing in the modding community, people will make it happen.

Its just a matter of which modders go with the flow and which drown trying to fight it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Why on earth are you question-marking this? You even say "most other." This doesn't even need qualifying because you're already pointing out that your mods aren't necessarily the absolute pinnacle of modding complexity.

"In most packs" means exactly that. At the extreme end of plausibility, if I want to, I can have a pack where a vanilla crafting table is more complex to make than a ReactorCraft Fusion Reactor. I'm not suggesting that this is likely or common, the point is that the policies in place assume that we're making packs like we did three years ago, when we were limited to using mods precisely how they were provided.

That's no longer the case, and as a result the packs we've seen have absolutely exploded in diversity and creativity. Some modders may still try to hold onto the older days of what-you-see-is-what-you-get, but as with all things, if there's a strong enough desire for a thing in the modding community, people will make it happens.

Its just a matter of which modders go with the flow and which drown trying to fight it.
I am not talking about complexity. I am talking about power. Show me how you can use TE, ThaumCraft, Twilight Forest, Blood Magic, Forestry, RailCraft (or even GT, come to think of it) to the scale RC/CC allow, things like wiping out entire forests with a couple swings of an axe, shifting entire sections of terrain around as a piece, killing any mob in the game in a single hit - and depending on the means, possibly leaving a giant flaming crater in its wake -, accelerating machines to 256x the original speed, turning 40 chunks into a sea of lava, wiping out an entire player's base with a single machine, or sending lightning bolts that wipe out more blocks than a fission reactor explosion.

Here is my recommendation, Reika. Just use a license to protect your mod from theft/monitization/unauthorized use of your code. Simple. "But, but... my progression and mod's design intent! I want it to stay intact!" Ok, I understand. Then how about coding it in a way/close sourcing parts of it so that they simply can't be modified by normal means. I say normal means because if someone is determined enough to alter parts of your mod that you don't approve of, then chances are they won't give a damn about your policy either and ignore it. I'm sure you heard of an API. I'm no programmer, but isn't that your "gateway" where you can control what can and can't be modified?
I do have some code-level enforcement for the most sensitive of things, like the bedrock ingots. It is arguably the most controversial element of my rules!

Also, that very enforcement breaks the OreDict circumvention you explained.

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Let me break this down to you, as a mod pack dev. I'm ALWAYS on the look out for amazing new mods with different mechanics. Trying to give players a fun and interesting experience is tough if you always stick to the same old mods, you have to shake it up a bit, find a new tack, a new theme. But I'm dealing with 50+ mods at once and there is only so much hassle I'm willing to go through for any one mod. So, let's say, realistic example, if I am trying to choose a relatively unknown magic type mod for my new pack. I could choose Aura Cascade or Chromaticraft. Aura Cascade has open permissions...Chromaticraft? Wow, that is a LOT of hoops I gotta jump through. Eh, maybe next time.

And THAT is what happens, and THAT is why no one really uses your mods.

I run a custom pack for a server, and I found that Reika has been very responsive to all my queries and I had no problem with any of his terms because I wasn't trying to change his mod to suit my tastes. Later when I did want to make a full removal of flight options, I contacted him to ask if we could have a config option instead of Minetweaking or Baniteming the jetpacks. He added a config option in the next version after confirming I wasn't trying to sell jetpacks for money on the server. I thought it was perfectly reasonable.

I'm a small whitelist server owner/operator. As such I just wanted to through my two cents in. I've seen some of the forum posts and pictures for the mods Reika produces. I like the concepts behind what has been made. But to date, I haven't played a single one of Reika's mods. Because on my small server I stick to what I know people can easily download and use. So I always run main stream packs like Direwolf20, Infinity, Agrarian Skies, etc. To me it is just sad that we can't find a balance between what the pack developers and Reika want so these mods can make their way into mainstream packs.

I don't see why RoC couldn't be in another kitchen sink pack, aside from Reika's experiences with FTB Monster. Those are the packs least likely to try and balance or tweak anything, they just throw everything together and if it works ship it. I was introduced to RoC in Monster and loved it! Most of the tweaking I hear about is for themed packs where RoC really may not fit anyway.

Also, someone said something to me that makes me realize something:

For those criticizing the idea of having to come to me:

You would have to come to me to get pack permissions anyways, to agree to the other four rules (not to monetize the content, claim credit for the mods, or redistribute the mods outside the pack)...so what exactly do you lose by also having to specify what changes you plan to make?

Everyone hates documentation, or asking permission.

Uwah!

Darn it. My heart jumped when I saw news of this on the reddit. I wanted to do a little happy-dance in the middle of a crowded street car. I would finally possibly get RotaryCraft in a non-kitchen-sink pack! Something actually cohesive and interesting I could enjoy playing, in a Crash Landing/Regrowth/Etc style! I was always stymied from playing RotaryCraft by the fact that it just can't reasonably be slotted into packs that I spend time on, and I would be bored out of my mind playing it just on top of Vanilla.

But, no. I don't think I'll be getting that. My sadness is... rather epic.

It's not even the restrictions. It's the vetting process that encourages kitchen sinks and discourages themed packs. Someone with an idea for a great, fresh, well-meshed pack is probably going to take one look at that license and nope the heck off, figuring a battle-of-creative-will or some kind of lengthy bureaucratic style red tape process is not worth the time or effort. And poor Lumie will be left without cool spinning gears, possibly forever. Looking from the outside in. Double darn it. I have been waiting to get my grubby mitts on RC for years.

Darnitdarnitdarnitdarnitdamnit.

It's a good change, in the right direction from the previous I'llCutYouSoBadYou'llWishIDidn'tCutYouSoBad agreement. But don't forsee it meaning RC reaches my little niche of the modded Minecraft playerbase. This is one of those times where I hope I end up epically wrong. I'm just doubting it. :(

It's not hard to get permission to use. So he asked to verify changes to the items that could affect balance.

There is a distinct sense of entitlement I see frequently on the forums. Mod and mod pack authors, and even small server operators, do it because they enjoy producing content and playing these games. When the user fails to appreciate the time and effort that goes into producing the content, or respect the author, it's quite shameful because they got the benefit for free. Bite the hand that makes your favorite content.

I still appreciate the efforts, and I don't believe Reika is a drama queen or a paranoid seeing many of these forum posts. What I do think he's trying to do is make very clear rules about the use of his mod so he can justify his time supporting those users who respect his work. I don't know how he keeps up with it all, much less the negativity and vitrol. I'm glad he does though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am not talking about complexity. I am talking about power.
That's fine, but the comments you're replying to aren't. I said "In most packs" directly as a response to the complexity comment.

From a power/ complexity standpoint, if, say, Metallurgy or Buildcraft or Pam's are full-size sedans, RotaryCraft and Chromaticraft are race cars.

In most packs.

That said, its still irrelevant. In my pack called All Players Are Gods*, I want people causing all that imbalanced havoc on day one. My choices are to leverage an existing mod and tweak it, clone an existing mod and tweak it, or bitch and complain.

These are the options in preferable order.

* No, people, this is not a thing.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
To be blunt; the option to use someone else's work [mod] in your own project [modpack] is a luxury that you have the privilege to use, not some service you're entitled to. Devs don't have to allow redistribution if they choose; that's why we ask for permission in the first place.
Demanding that every mod must adopt open permissions (which is what's being strongly hinted in certain posts) is a perversion of this very principle.
Obviously we all like it when devs say yes; which is kind of what Reika's new rules are- an additional way for him to say yes to people he'd otherwise have to say no to.​

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That said, its still irrelevant. In my pack called All Players Are Gods*, I want people causing all that imbalanced havoc on day one. My choices are to leverage an existing mod and tweak it, clone an existing mod and tweak it, or bitch and complain.

These are the options in preferable order.

* No, people, this is not a thing.
If you came to me, and said you wanted that result, then you would have a much easier time getting permission for it. But face the reality: Practically noone wants that, so when someone is making changes that cause that end result, it can be safely assumed they are not going to like the effects of their changes.

Honestly, it sounds like you keep assuming pack devs would come to me just saying "I want to change X" and never provide any sort of justification. Frankly, if someone is making a highly nonstandard pack and they do not mention that, I have reservations about their competency to begin with, especially if they fail to mention anything when specifically requesting changes.

Also, another example of the kind of thing I meant earlier. This is happening continuously.
H0pGoeY.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you came to me, and said you wanted that result, then you would have a much easier time getting permission for it. But face the reality: Practically noone wants that, so when someone is making changes that cause that end result, it can be safely assumed they are not going to like the effects of their changes.
I don't actually expect you to keep track of everyone's individual stance on this thread. I'll just remind you that I understand that. I'm not making an effort to shit on your policy, I'm only disputing various minor points that are raised along the way to justify parts of it. I do this because I get -- and most people get -- that the justification behind the policy is difficult to support on logical or ethical grounds.

In this case, a player wants to wreak havoc on the balance of his or her modpack. You have a policy requiring them to explain this to you. Fine, that's your call. I'm satisfied that this is still much better than it was a month ago, and thanks for reminding me. However, the justification for it -- in this case that players should be prevented on the grounds that they're not going to like the effects of their changes -- is not well thought out. Its their business.

Fortunately your policies don't really require justification. That's your business. I just worry about people deciding that an OpenDragon API might be a positive contribution to the community.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
To be blunt; the option to use someone else's work [mod] in your own project [modpack] is a luxury that you have the privilege to use, not some service you're entitled to. Devs don't have to allow redistribution if they choose; that's why we ask for permission in the first place.
Demanding that every mod must adopt open permissions (which is what's being strongly hinted in certain posts) is a perversion of this very principle.
Obviously we all like it when devs say yes; which is kind of what Reika's new rules are- an additional way for him to say yes to people he'd otherwise have to say no to.​
I 100% agree with this stance. As I alluded to above however, what I worry about is modders being elbowed out of their own niche.

If people WANT that open mod badly, they'll make it happen. If fifty thousand players want fully tweakable RotaryCraft, there's absolutely no ethical grounds to stop them from making one. There's no scenario where a modded minecraft creativity idea cannot be made to happen.

That privilege is a sword with blades at both ends, which is why I support diplomatically nudging these projects into a more open direction and don't consider myself abusing a privilege.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
People WANT to play your mods, but they want to play them their way. Who cares if they automatically hit end game because a silly mod author ore dictionaried your bedrockiumwhatever. Isn't enjoying the mod what matters? No need to be the fun police.

Because such a large shift in the experience of the mod impacts the expectation and reputation of the mod maker.

As a possible point, I posit that as the only thing most people know about Reika is his mods, then the content of the mods is the only thing most people know of his character. Any signifigent change for the worst of his mods is a defemation of character. Any major harm done to the quality of his work would reflect badly on him and harm his character. I would say the same about RedPower, Thaumcraft, Gregtech, or any other mod where more is known about the mod then the author. (sorry KingLeming, but you are known too much for being you for me to judge you as being protected this way)

Remember, the mod and how it is used IS his reputation.

and these:
vs29aHf.png

So when this happens, or this:

http://i.imgur.com/ItMuSuk.png

You get unlimited devastation and destruction.

The full explanation is here - and yes, I expect you to spend 5 to 10 minutes reading it - but long story short it is because during the glory days of FTB Monster, from about February 2013 to May 2014, it went very, very badly. For six months straight, I had more people modifying and breaking my mods than people running functional versions, and the vast, overwhelming majority had the audacity to blame me for the resultant effects. People did things like removing machines they had no idea were crucial, and then whined about how the mod was broken. They unified materials or power and then whined and moaned about how RotaryCraft was overpowered. Others upset more nuanced systems - like the balancing designed to discourage machine spam, then complained when the wall of machines hurt their performance. Some had servers wiped out by the fact that the extremely powerful endgame became too easily accessible.

And a huge number posted all over the internet and went to everyone who would listen about how my mods were broken. Buggy. Garbage. Over that six months, my userbase plummeted, because the entire community, save for small alcoves of it, turned into a giant echo chamber about how my mods were the worst in years and the first piece of advice given to every server and pack dev I could find was "remove RotaryCraft". Even on these very forums, just about every thread mentioning a bug, lag, or other undesirable behavior had at least one person, often more, blaming me for the result because of the rumors that drowned out anything I could do to fight them. Many of these rumors still exist over a year later.

Just like that. Just because so often people have no clue about the progression. They make changes that destroy servers, and then point to RC, and RC becomes known as that mod that destroys servers. Directly harmful to Reika's reputation.

The whole reason for this is that users have proven. Repeatedly. That they (or their server admin) will break the mod and then blame Reika for it, all over the place.

Take a moment and think about how bad the side effects can be...

Even completely unmodified, this is the kind of mod that spawns tutorials, example builds, and tips/tricks videos. Which can actively be harmful in even a single major version later. For instance there was a change to the RF to Shaft conversion engine that made it require active cooling at the mid tiers and higher. If you don't carefully read the handbook and make a build involving these from before that change? Bad things can happen. Failing to treat many of Reika's powerful toys with respect can do things ranging from killing you humorously to making Chernobyl out of your base and the neighboring chunks in a double-digit radius. All of which will inevitably be piled right at Reika's feet. We've seen it happen before, the community is even more hostile towards Reika now so there is no reason not to assume it will not happen again.

So, given how bad things can get, what is there that can be done?

That idea? Give a list of the things which shouldn't be modified for progression breaking reasons. That list is actually pretty small. The bedrock breaker, all the native engines, the fermenter, the blast furnace, the grinder, the extractor, the furnace heater, tungsten, bedrock dust, and jet fuel. That's pretty much the extent of "don't touch this without really good reasons and being very careful or you're GOING to break the mod", right? Basically everything else could be disabled in most packs without breaking All The Things. I wouldn't suggest disabling the Dew Point Aggregator if you're planning on ReactorCraft either :p

I think a little more needs to be done. Charting out the power tiers, listing the products of each tier, showing what's required to progress to each point. Demonstrating with examples that a change like the removal of the extractor (listed on the website in the link) breaks 70% of the mod.

Offhand, each of the big no items could use an explenation and examples. Show just how bad things can be if bedrockium is bedrock ingots. Show how bad things can be if jetfuel is BC FUEL. Show how important the sinctured tungstun is as a gating mechangism.

Don't just tell. Show.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
...things like wiping out entire forests with a couple swings of an axe
That's the bedrock axe
, shifting entire sections of terrain around as a piece
... what does that?
killing any mob in the game in a single hit - and depending on the means, possibly leaving a giant flaming crater in its wake
Well, TiC can be overpowered, and I've seen massive weapons elsewhere ... but a giant flaming crater???
accelerating machines to 256x the original speed
Your machines? Sure. Friction heater on a furnace? Ok. Anything else??
turning 40 chunks into a sea of lava
?? What does that?
wiping out an entire player's base with a single machine
... An overloaded bedrock coil?
or sending lightning bolts that wipe out more blocks than a fission reactor explosion
???

Ok, some of these I don't have the slightest idea how to do, or even that you could do.

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
However, the justification for it -- in this case that players should be prevented on the grounds that they're not going to like the effects of their changes -- is not well thought out. Its their business.
I think you have misunderstood me. The whole point of the coming-to-me process - aside from me being able to maintain the lists - is so that I can weed out people doing things they only think they want. If you make it clear you do intend to make a crazy pack, then that is a non-issue, provided you also agree that I am not responsible for any damages.

That's the bedrock axe

... what does that?

Well, TiC can be overpowered, and I've seen massive weapons elsewhere ... but a giant flaming crater???

Your machines? Sure. Friction heater on a furnace? Ok. Anything else??

?? What does that?

???

Ok, some of these I don't have the slightest idea how to do, or even that you could do.
Half of those are ChromatiCraft, including the World Shift and Bolt of Power abilities and the Tile Accelerators. As for the giant flaming crater, load a few explosive shells in the railgun and stand back. You might also want to try aiming it at someone's base, or the Sonic Borer, or the EMP... :p

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
--killing any mob in the game in a single hit - and depending on the means, possibly leaving a giant flaming crater in its wake--
--wiping out an entire player's base with a single machine--
The railgun and/or laser gun -if sufficiently powered- could do that.
and ninja'd by a dragon. :p

If people WANT that open mod badly, they'll make it happen. If fifty thousand players want fully tweakable RotaryCraft, there's absolutely no ethical grounds to stop them from making one. There's no scenario where a modded minecraft creativity idea cannot be made to happen.

While I agree with that last point, I wouldn't say it's ethically acceptable to ignore and override someone's licence by wholesale copying their work and publishing the result. I also think it's somewhat hypocritical if the result is then used by a community that prides itself on respecting those same permissions and licences.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I also think it's somewhat hypocritical if the result is then used by a community that prides itself on respecting those same permissions and licences.
Agreed. If such things become generally accepted, any claim this community has that it respects the mod devs becomes an obvious facade, and the real mentality of "GIMME GIMME GIMME! NO GIVE? F YOU" becomes obvious.

Obviously not everyone subscribes to it, but a large fraction do, and if the major launchers/pack teams and similar start using mod ripoffs, they will become part of it.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Alex Cubed

Jul 29, 2019
What other mods are having the same issues as RotoryCraft?
What other developers are having the same issues as Reika?

Reactions: RedBoss