Problem with MFR tree farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to try making a tree farm which will get me loads of wood. So I setup an 11x11 MFR tree farm, using redwood trees for tons of wood. However I have two problems: the harvesters harvest the wood + leaves, but only for the bottom 16 blocks. The rest is left floating. How can I make them harvest the whole tree? The second problem is: i'm collecting the wood + saplings through BC pipes, but I just realised that any sapling going to the planter will just go on the floor when it is full. Either that, or I have the saplings going the same way as the wood and the planter eventually runs dry. How can I make it so the saplings go to the planter until its full, then go to storage?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
as you`ve already noticed, there is a height limit for harvester, which cannot be changed by in game means, try check configs.
as for overflow you will need another diamond pipe connected to planter, which is set to send sapling to planter. if there is not room for them in plater saplings will go to next destination, which also may be a a way back to harvester, so i recommend to block it.

Reactions: RedBoss

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
The are 2 solutions to your first problem:
1) Edit the config to allow Harvester to harvest to greater heights.
2) Make more Harvesters and place them higher up (be careful with this though, I think some trees can replace it with leaves)

Your second problem can be solved in many ways, but it all boils down to "send the saplings to the planer and once it's full to storage" (so run a pipe from the Harvester to the Planter and then on to your storage). You can use a BC Insertion Pipe (there are many BC pipe mods that have it and I think TE has one in 1.5 as well), basically it will insert stuff in an inventory if there's room. Or use a Diamond pipe, set it to put saplings into the Planter and leave the saplings another way to continue once it's full (it won't put saplings into the Planter once it's full).
You can even go with RP Tubes I think. Just have the storage further away (through the pipes that is) than the Planter, tubes will always store stuff in the nearest location it can.

To make sure no wood gets in the Planter just put a sapling in every slot it has (or if you have 9 stacks of saplings sitting around dump them in there and be done with it).

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
... or you can use AE network instead of BC pipes and forget about any overflow issues.

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
Just for some inspiration:
My farm uses about 40 Planter, etc. in 2 rows. No upgrades, so it is faster.
Each Planter is connected to Power and 1 Sapling Recieving Tesseract. The Tesseract gets feeded from our Storage System (AE in this case)
Each Harvester has 1 Sending Tesseract to the Storage and 1 sending Liquid Tesseract for the Soup it makes.(no actual need for that, just for fun :D)
And i just added Fertiliezer Machines that gets Feeded from a Tesseract with IC2 Fertiliezer :eek:

So a lot of Tesseracts in my Treefarm :D

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
as you`ve already noticed, there is a height limit for harvester, which cannot be changed by in game means, try check configs.
as for overflow you will need another diamond pipe connected to planter, which is set to send sapling to planter. if there is not room for them in plater saplings will go to next destination, which also may be a a way back to harvester, so i recommend to block it.

The item can't select the direction it came from, so you don't have to block that path. Though you could put a stick or something that will never be in the system just in case you have an accident somewhere.

On the height issue as others have mentioned it is a config setting to limit the lag. The normal limit covers all oak tree sizes. I run 9x9 farms and you get almost on a constant flow of logs with those. Not sure how much you need per hour, but whether you ran something on saplings, charcoal, or both you would be able to make plenty of power.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so now i've increased the height limit for harvesting and re-arranged the pipes tosend the saplings to the right place. However, I just noticed another problem: I have 2 harvesters to cope with the massive amount of wood i'd getting, but only one of them is doing anything, the other one just sits there consuming power for nothing. How can I make it do something?

EDIT: I accidentally broke the wroking harvester and replaced it. Now that one isn't working either.

EDIT AGAIN: Ok, apparently that are working, it just takes them forever to detect a tree. Is there a way to make them detect quicker?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ok, so now i've increased the height limit for harvesting and re-arranged the pipes tosend the saplings to the right place. However, I just noticed another problem: I have 2 harvesters to cope with the massive amount of wood i'd getting, but only one of them is doing anything, the other one just sits there consuming power for nothing. How can I make it do something?

EDIT: I accidentally broke the wroking harvester and replaced it. Now that one isn't working either.

EDIT AGAIN: Ok, apparently that are working, it just takes them forever to detect a tree. Is there a way to make them detect quicker?
You really don't want them detecting quicker or it'll end up with the bottom log of a tree harvested and a sapling under it and it'll never cut the tree down.

E: I read detect as grow for some reason. Ignore me.

SoSpecial

Jul 29, 2019
I believe all of the MFR blocks have a sleep timer and only detect when the sleep timer is up( and they sleep timer shortens whenever it actually does work) this is to reduce lag on servers.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I believe all of the MFR blocks have a sleep timer and only detect when the sleep timer is up( and they sleep timer shortens whenever it actually does work) this is to reduce lag on servers.
Damn servers, always ruining everything for us common folk :mad:

SoSpecial

Jul 29, 2019
Damn servers, always ruining everything for us common folk :mad:
It will only affect you the first time you place it down, and if it goes a while without any tree's to cut down. After the first tree, the amount of time it will take to start up again is much shorter. In the meantime it will reduce the number of block updates and hopefully be less stressfull on your system.

Just take it easy and the machines willl run soon, in the meantime maybe you should start figuring out how to use Pneumatic tubes. I suggest just throwing a relay behind the harvesters, running a tube to the planter and then off of that tube into a tesseract or an ender chest, and that should be all you have to do.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I think he meant it for SSP.
Yes.

Not gonna lie this farm is an absolute beast! After about an hour or so, i've got over 130 stacks of logs. Its a shame they're nerfing the heat value of plansk in the next update :(

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Yes.

Not gonna lie this farm is an absolute beast! After about an hour or so, i've got over 130 stacks of logs. Its a shame they're nerfing the heat value of plansk in the next update :(

add an induction furnace(i add 1 per 2x2 jungle tree farm, no configs changed) to your setup, and pretend you didnt see anything