Placeholder Mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
the point still stands, you claim that RS should be replaced by AE2, but AL is literally just AE2, but with fluid storage
Eh, Personally digital fluid storage sucks in my opinion. It gets full really quickly, so in 1.7 I used Extra Cells, Fluid Storage bus hooked up to a Bedrockium Drum to store my fluids. Practically infinite space. In 1.10.2 its even better with a Quantum Tank.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Eh, Personally digital fluid storage sucks in my opinion. It gets full really quickly, so in 1.7 I used Extra Cells, Fluid Storage bus hooked up to a Bedrockium Drum to store my fluids. Practically infinite space. In 1.10.2 its even better with a Quantum Tank.
true, but that's still something AE2 can't do on it's own but AL (ad I suppose by extension RS) can do independantly

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
true, but that's still something AE2 can't do on it's own but AL (ad I suppose by extension RS) can do independantly
True true, but is the loss of possible automation of AE worth built in fluid storage. Everyone knows that AE is faster than RS. More unique of a mod than RS. (The real world crafting mechanics, along with the autocrafting multiblocks.) Let's say for a minute that you want to autocraft a Chaotic Solar Panel from Solar Flux Reborn. That is amazing each craft is like 1m RF a tick. With that sort of power you need it to be in-depth and intrigue, which AE has but RS doesn't. RS autocrafting is just a crafter with a pattern in it. AE2 autocrafting needs quite a few items to make the multiblocks. You need a crafting co-processor, crafting storage, interfaces, and the molecular assemblers. And then you can experiment with them to find the best setup.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
True true, but is the loss of possible automation of AE worth built in fluid storage. Everyone knows that AE is faster than RS. More unique of a mod than RS. (The real world crafting mechanics, along with the autocrafting multiblocks.) Let's say for a minute that you want to autocraft a Chaotic Solar Panel from Solar Flux Reborn. That is amazing each craft is like 1m RF a tick. With that sort of power you need it to be in-depth and intrigue, which AE has but RS doesn't. RS autocrafting is just a crafter with a pattern in it. AE2 autocrafting needs quite a few items to make the multiblocks. You need a crafting co-processor, crafting storage, interfaces, and the molecular assemblers. And then you can experiment with them to find the best setup.

ok, while I will say there is a debatable best set up for molecular assemblers/interfaces, there's not "best way" to set up the crafting units/co-processors. also, where are you getting this "depth and intrigue" if I want to automate smelting in AE2, I place an interface with the processing pattern to make it onto the smelter, and in RS all I have to do is place that smelter in front of a crafter instead with the pattern for what I want. the only difference is that in AE2 I have to make sure my system has the channel available, which is easily done by placing a new controller on the cable, or just porting from a different side of a controller. and other than that I can just slap a couple crafting units and co-processors somewhere where i'm not using a lot of channels and we're good to go. the only real differences between the two systems is that RS cuts the middle man and doesn't need a block to make basic recipes. saying that AE2 is more "in-depth" and "intrigue" is like saying that "my plug is better than your wireless charger because I have to open the power input on my phone and insert the wire" it really just doesn't hold up when you look at the big picture

Also, I feel I should bring up that auto-crafting, at least with the sense that AE2 does it, isn't as OP as everyone thinks. I could easily run a few calculations through a calculator to figure out what I need, make the materials, and craft it all by hand. would it be tedious and probably make me leave the game and not come back because I don't want to deal with it? maybe, but is it doable? a sure fire yes

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
ok, while I will say there is a debatable best set up for molecular assemblers/interfaces, there's not "best way" to set up the crafting units/co-processors. also, where are you getting this "depth and intrigue" if I want to automate smelting in AE2, I place an interface with the processing pattern to make it onto the smelter, and in RS all I have to do is place that smelter in front of a crafter instead with the pattern for what I want. the only difference is that in AE2 I have to make sure my system has the channel available, which is easily done by placing a new controller on the cable, or just porting from a different side of a controller. and other than that I can just slap a couple crafting units and co-processors somewhere where i'm not using a lot of channels and we're good to go. the only real differences between the two systems is that RS cuts the middle man and doesn't need a block to make basic recipes. saying that AE2 is more "in-depth" and "intrigue" is like saying that "my plug is better than your wireless charger because I have to open the power input on my phone and insert the wire" it really just doesn't hold up when you look at the big picture

Also, I feel I should bring up that auto-crafting, at least with the sense that AE2 does it, isn't as OP as everyone thinks. I could easily run a few calculations through a calculator to figure out what I need, make the materials, and craft it all by hand. would it be tedious and probably make me leave the game and not come back because I don't want to deal with it? maybe, but is it doable? a sure fire yes
Can't argue with the first part, but tedium is completely debatable. The amount of nether quartz you need for RS is insane. Every 4 enriched iron is one nether quartz. And you need to smelt a nether a silicon. And for me, my computer doesnt handle mega modded nether well. Its very laggy.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I think the fact that this debate has gone this long with this much intensity goes to prove that AE2 and RS are both similar but unique mods - both deserving of their right to exist in mod packs.

M

Migmag789

Can't argue with the first part, but tedium is completely debatable. The amount of nether quartz you need for RS is insane. Every 4 enriched iron is one nether quartz. And you need to smelt a nether a silicon. And for me, my computer doesnt handle mega modded nether well. Its very laggy.
With Mekanism, the crusher crushes one sand into one silicon. Oops, there is any FTB modpack with Refined Storage and Mekanism both... Except Infinity Lite... x)

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
I mean, nether quartz isn't to hard to get/ it stands out a lot in the nether, and is effected by fortune. os you can get upto 4 per ore with a good pick. personally, I've always had a harder time with the iron in the early stages of RS than with the quartz.

now go et back on topic, I do thgink that open gliders and gravestones will probably get replaced (although OG does have the advanced glider, though I have no idea what that does) however, in packs that for some reason only want one of these features but not the rest for some reason, I do think there's still a small niche for them

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I mean, nether quartz isn't to hard to get/ it stands out a lot in the nether, and is effected by fortune. os you can get upto 4 per ore with a good pick. personally, I've always had a harder time with the iron in the early stages of RS than with the quartz.

now go et back on topic, I do thgink that open gliders and gravestones will probably get replaced (although OG does have the advanced glider, though I have no idea what that does) however, in packs that for some reason only want one of these features but not the rest for some reason, I do think there's still a small niche for them
Hmmm. RS is still resource intensive, but no cool mechanics like real world crafting or meteors. Its much more about just getting lots of iron and quartz vs, you need few resources but lots of different things.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Hmmm. RS is still resource intensive, but no cool mechanics like real world crafting or meteors. Its much more about just getting lots of iron and quartz vs, you need few resources but lots of different things.
the meteors are cool, until you get 2 of each press and can't find the one you need for the life of you, and then once you finally find it and get back to your base and the pure certus quartz seeds you started growing an hour ago are only at 50%

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
the meteors are cool, until you get 2 of each press and can't find the one you need for the life of you, and then once you finally find it and get back to your base and the pure certus quartz seeds you started growing an hour ago are only at 50%
Git gud. Git a growth accelarator.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Considering the context of the argument (remove certain mods from all packs because "superior" mods have been ported), the argument was dead before it started.
Yes, but I've deliberately refrained from commenting before now, because it would have only come out as argumentative and dismissive. I strongly disagreed with the entire flawed premise of the thread, and felt quite insulted on behalf of the developers of the named mods. But the "get good" just pushed me over that edge.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Git gud is a perfectly valid argument. Look at this https://hypixel.net/members/hypixel.1/ The owner of the largest minecraft server's PFP is Git Gud.

I'm not trying to fight with you, but telling someone that their preference in mods is incorrect and their preference should be not only be ignored, but actually removed from current/future packs, is selfishly ignorant. Telling others their views are invalid because they don't enjoy the same mechanics as you is also. And furthermore, "git gud" is not useful advice, nor will it sway any debate in your favor.

The world is more than just your personal viewpoint. Packs, particularly Kitchen Sink style, are made for mass appeal. Since tastes vary from consumer to consumer, packs will either provide options or have good reasons not to. If you want a particular experience, make your own pack, but don't tell others they have to play by your rules in their worlds.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I'm not trying to fight with you, but telling someone that their preference in mods is incorrect and their preference should be not only be ignored, but actually removed from current/future packs, is selfishly ignorant. Telling others their views are invalid because they don't enjoy the same mechanics as you is also. And furthermore, "git gud" is not useful advice, nor will it sway any debate in your favor.

The world is more than just your personal viewpoint. Packs, particularly Kitchen Sink style, are made for mass appeal. Since tastes vary from consumer to consumer, packs will either provide options or have good reasons not to. If you want a particular experience, make your own pack, but don't tell others they have to play by your rules in their worlds.
Take Skyfactory and Hermitpack, the first two FTB 1.10.2 packs made, now at the time of those packs release, AE2 had not been ported, but all the previous Skyfactories and Hermit based things used AE, so had AE2 been ported at the time. You could assume that AE would've been used and not RS? Make sense? RS was developed along with some other mods like Gravestone and Open Glider to allow packs to be created while all the other mods got up to date.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Mod selection is one of the most important parts of building a pack. If, as a pack developer, the mod you anticipated using is not available at the moment, you are left with two choices: wait until the mod is available, or find some other mod that will serve the same purpose within the pack. For your two examples, the developers chose to use RS. This doesn't rule out the possibility that the designers wouldn't have settled on RS in the pack even if AE2 were available. Just because something has happened before doesn't mean it has to happen in the future.

RS was being developed on it's own, not just as a substitute for AE2, but because the developers behind RS felt the mod they wanted no longer existed as they wanted it to. Continuing to refer to it as just a placeholder is disrespectful to their hard work, especially since, as this thread has shown, many other players agree with them.

The mods that separated from OpenBlocks did so because the entirety of the mod was not ready to move forward, and many people wanted the tools they had grown used to (gravestones, sleeping bag, elevator, glider, etc.). Now that OpenBlocks has moved forward, it can be added to future packs, but the individual mods should still remain options for cases where a pack designer decides the bloat of OpenBlocks doesn't fit the theme, but they still want a tool or two.

All this said, your posts do nothing to support the original argument that these.mods should be removed from current packs.