Placeholder Mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Mod selection is one of the most important parts of building a pack. If, as a pack developer, the mod you anticipated using is not available at the moment, you are left with two choices: wait until the mod is available, or find some other mod that will serve the same purpose within the pack. For your two examples, the developers chose to use RS. This doesn't rule out the possibility that the designers wouldn't have settled on RS in the pack even if AE2 were available. Just because something has happened before doesn't mean it has to happen in the future.

RS was being developed on it's own, not just as a substitute for AE2, but because the developers behind RS felt the mod they wanted no longer existed as they wanted it to. Continuing to refer to it as just a placeholder is disrespectful to their hard work, especially since, as this thread has shown, many other players agree with them.

The mods that separated from OpenBlocks did so because the entirety of the mod was not ready to move forward, and many people wanted the tools they had grown used to (gravestones, sleeping bag, elevator, glider, etc.). Now that OpenBlocks has moved forward, it can be added to future packs, but the individual mods should still remain options for cases where a pack designer decides the bloat of OpenBlocks doesn't fit the theme, but they still want a tool or two.

All this said, your posts do nothing to support the original argument that these.mods should be removed from current packs.
I guess some of this is true but another example of why what I'm saying is true is the Foolcraft modpack. Foolcraft 1 was made with RS because AE hadn't been ported at the time, the YTers finished their series up. And Iskall85 updated the pack to V2 for the next season. He removed RS and added AE.

On the issue of OpenBlocks, me running Beyond with Openblocks was creating some problems, the glider wings were oredictionared with each other creating crafting problems along with I got 2 gravestones upon death. And lag went up, everyone knows that one large file(OpenBlocks) creates less lag than 2 small files(Open Gliders and Gravestone).

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you, as a player, add OpenBlocks to your pack, removing the redundancy is recommended. The lag likely isn't from having a bunch of small mods as much as having those small mods on top of the large mod that serves the same purpose. Keep in mind that more than just gliders and gravestones are redundant (elevators and sleeping bag to name two more). There may be more crossover, as well - I don't remember.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Also, the argument for foolcraft v2 using AE2 instead of RS is more likely based on "fresh content" because it is for a youtube series. Did you ask Iskall why he chose AE2? So don't assume why he removed RS just to make you point valid when it really isn't.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
M

MikW

I guess some of this is true but another example of why what I'm saying is true is the Foolcraft modpack. Foolcraft 1 was made with RS because AE hadn't been ported at the time, the YTers finished their series up. And Iskall85 updated the pack to V2 for the next season. He removed RS and added AE.

On the issue of OpenBlocks, me running Beyond with Openblocks was creating some problems, the glider wings were oredictionared with each other creating crafting problems along with I got 2 gravestones upon death. And lag went up, everyone knows that one large file(OpenBlocks) creates less lag than 2 small files(Open Gliders and Gravestone).

Youtubers need new content to constantly come, so that's why the V2 of Foolcraft used AE2 instead of RS.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Take Skyfactory and Hermitpack, the first two FTB 1.10.2 packs made, now at the time of those packs release, AE2 had not been ported, but all the previous Skyfactories and Hermit based things used AE, so had AE2 been ported at the time. You could assume that AE would've been used and not RS? Make sense? RS was developed along with some other mods like Gravestone and Open Glider to allow packs to be created while all the other mods got up to date.
just because AE2 wasn't ported when those two packs came out doesn't mean that they wouldn't have been used. there are plenty of packs where those two things don't exist, FTB beyond, Direwolf20's 1.10 pack, All the mods 1 and 2, possibly 3, and the list goes on. i'm just not listing them because I haven't played that many packs

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
upload_2017-9-19_8-35-13.png

going by dates. the DW20 1.10 pack released with AE2 right out of the gate for 1.10 on November 14 of 2016, nearly a year ago. while, going by when the series started, Foolcraft came out around March 18 of 2017, 5 months later. Meaning, of course, that AE2 two was available for at least 5 months prior two Foolcraft releasing.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Hmm, you can like RS if you like but I will never use it unless I have to like I did in Skyfactory 3. And the reason has nothing to do with what the mod has in it, in terms of actual storage. RS lacks anything unique, nothing in the mod is anything special. Its a lot of crafting and mining for iron and quartz, Vs AE2 with Real World crafting, the meteors, inscribers.

Simple, RS lacks anything that makes it a special mod.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, you can like RS if you like but I will never use it unless I have to like I did in Skyfactory 3. And the reason has nothing to do with what the mod has in it, in terms of actual storage. RS lacks anything unique, nothing in the mod is anything special. Its a lot of crafting and mining for iron and quartz, Vs AE2 with Real World crafting, the meteors, inscribers.

These things you describe are the biggest turnoff in the mod, in my opinion. As I said before, different strokes for different folks. Both mods deserve the right to exist, and sometimes coexist, in packs. The choice to use it is that of the player - nobody is forcing you to convert, so don't try to force others to convert to your methods.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017

Unique does not automatically equal better. The inscribers and pretty nice, though the fact that I can't put an entire starch at once in is super annoying, and they could be a bit smarter. Making fluix crystals is just dropping Redstone, charged certus quartz, and nether quartz in water. Unique? Yes, incredibly simple? also yes. Making pure quartz is nothing more than just dropping seeds is water and waiting. And meteors, while cool initially, quickly lose there luster,especially when you just need one press and they all drop repeats. So while AE2 does have some unique mechanics, nothing that's really memorable

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
To me that in world crafting like the pure quartz is part of the challenge with AE2. It takes a little more thought to automate it. Same goes for the type and channel limits. But I also realize this a my personal preference and style for gaming. So I do prefer AE2 over RS. But I'll use RS if that is what is in the pack.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
To me that in world crafting like the pure quartz is part of the challenge with AE2. It takes a little more thought to automate it. Same goes for the type and channel limits. But I also realize this a my personal preference and style for gaming. So I do prefer AE2 over RS. But I'll use RS if that is what is in the pack.
Not really, just put an interface on an open crate or anything that can drop the items into the water, and set up some kind of vacuumed with a filter to pick them up

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Was playing Beyond and saw something with AE that RS lacks so I figured I'd post it here. Spatial Storage and Facades for Terminals. I made a Terminal out of the Tinkers Construct manyullyn blocks. A terminal with money blocks on it.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Was playing Beyond and saw something with AE that RS lacks so I figured I'd post it here. Spatial Storage and Facades for Terminals. I made a Terminal out of the Tinkers Construct manyullyn blocks. A terminal with money blocks on it.
I will say that the facades are a nice novelty. But I think I've ever only seen Spatial Storage used twice, and one of those times was only for a quest in Sky Factory.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Yes, spatial storage is unique to ae2 but it is so power and resource heavy almost no one uses it except for YouTube LPers showing off the mod. It has very little practical use.

Not in a themed mod pack where you only have say 32x32x32 to work with something like spatial storage would be awesome and key to get the needed room. Otherwise it's just a gimmick.

I agree that meteors are neat but I also agree that hunting for hours for needed presses and ending up with a banquet set of silicone presses for the trouble and still no logic press just becomes asinine.

Real world crafting was cool, one or twice. I prefer the "mix items in crafting and smelt" method in the end, faster easier to automate and less memory intensive.

Also, the argument about needing lots of nether Quartz for RS is kind of flawed because you need lots of Certus, Redstone power, glass, iron,....,...,..., for ae2 to get to the same point I can get for a 2 stacks each of it on and nether Quartz.

But again, as I've said before in this conversation, I like both RS and AE2. The both have pros and cons that make them great in their own way. Trying to compare is like trying to say a truck is better then a car because "you" like to help friends and family haul stuff. Don't apply to others so it's a flawed argument at the onset.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Duplicate certus how? Are you referring to pure?
Then I give you 1 nether Quartz and 3 iron.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So the argument of resources to make AE2 disk vs RS disk is valid. First a 64k disk for AE will hold over 1/2 a billion of a single item. A RS 64k disk only hold 64,000. So you need 8 RS disks to equal the storage in one AE 64k disk. Of course it take a LOT more resources to make 8 of those disks.

Here is a write up of the 1k disks:
  • AE2 1k disk takes: 3 iron, 8 redstone, 9 certus quartz, 4 glass, 1 gold & 1 silicon
    • This disk will 4096 of a single item.
  • RS 1k disk takes in FTB Beyond: 3 iron, 4 redstone, 1 nether quartz, 5 glass, 4 silicon
    • This disk will only hold 1024 so now multiply this by 4 to equal one AE 1k disk.
    • Which equals 12 iron, 16 redstone, 4 nether quartz, 20 glass, and 16 silicon

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0