Performance in the next pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

tatopolos

Jul 29, 2019
Since the 1.5 introduced an important improvement to performance and FPS, in vanilla, do you have any information about whether it will also improve fps for FTB future packs? was there any material enhancement?

A broader question would also be, what are performance improvements coming in the next pack?
i can think of multi blocks, that have the reputation to be lag free, industrial electolyzers that would replace ind centrifuges hopefully..

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Too early to tell until we get all the mods into it, I get 400 FPS in 1.5.2 without optifine and with a 64x HD texturepack.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
In general, I've found most mods to be worse performance so far. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they're doing a lot more now. Framerates are up, but overall performance is down.

tatopolos

Jul 29, 2019
i made some research and it doesn't seem to be a priority for several mods. I think they all consider that they don't have a material impact on the performance and do not need to have specific development for performance in their backlogs.. and may be prefer to have more content..

but with all the mods combined, FTB becomes a huge burden for average configurations. and alters negatively the game experience. Especially when you progress in the game and have some complex setups, lots of machines, tubing, spawners, magic and aura,... you can see your frame rates decrease significantly.

i know that performance is both a matter of will : do we want to invest in that and do less "visible" features. but also of expertise: not everybody is able to optimize a code, write it differently to make it less memory-consuming..

so all this makes me also skeptical about any future improvements in the performance

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
FTB has little control over performance aside from getting rid of mods that are laggy.

If your computer FPS lags in FTB, you likely have a midrange or less CPU. There is not much to be done about this until Mojang starts rewrting the core and adds things like multi CPU rendering support. FTB is very heavily capped by the CPU rather than GPU performance.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Question, guys.

My processor is an AMD Athlon II x4 640 3.00 GHz processor. I'm trying to find the bottleneck in my framerate, since I'm only getting like... 40-60 FPS in good scenarios. It can get down to 20-30. By far the lowest FPS I have ever had in any game I've ever played on this machine.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Question, guys.

My processor is an AMD Athlon II x4 640 3.00 GHz processor. I'm trying to find the bottleneck in my framerate, since I'm only getting like... 40-60 FPS in good scenarios. It can get down to 20-30. By far the lowest FPS I have ever had in any game I've ever played on this machine.
what kind of graphics card does it have thats usually the first problem is that it can't keep up with the rendering

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
FYI, this isn't the fault of any one mod, nor is it anything the mod authors can do. It is entirely the fault of FTB trying to cram every single mod under the sun into one mod pack in a game not designed to handle that kind of overhead.

Seriously, 80+ mods in one pack is overkill. Not only does it slow the game down, you notice that the Ultimate pack has all sorts of weird bugs exclusive to that pack? The more mods you cram into one pack, the more likely you are going to get weird interactions that the mod authors never planned for, and can't reasonably be expected to fix.

Not sure why people do that. In most cases, about 20 to 30 mods plus supporting utilities is more content than you'll use in a years worth of play, and maintains near vanilla speed.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Question, guys.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

That CPU is a massive bottleneck. There is no (edit:except their absolute best) AMD CPU right now that will not be in FTB in the middle of all the mod stuff ingame.
Youd be wise to save up for a intel motherboard and a 3570K and OC it to 4.2-4.5Ghz. Understand that this cpu clocked at 2Ghz will still beat yours clocked at 3 (or even close to 4 for that matter). This will remove the CPU as the bottleneck in ALL games, even if you get a 690GTX or 7990.

I learned from experiance, and regret my PhenomII 965BE buy, 4Ghz on this thing and its still crushed by FTB with a 460GTX. All other games are fine. FTB eats CPUs.
[DOUBLEPOST=1368063825][/DOUBLEPOST]
FYI, this isn't the fault of any one mod, nor is it anything the mod authors can do. It is entirely the fault of FTB trying to cram every single mod under the sun into one mod pack in a game not designed to handle that kind of overhead.

Seriously, 80+ mods in one pack is overkill. Not only does it slow the game down, you notice that the Ultimate pack has all sorts of weird bugs exclusive to that pack? The more mods you cram into one pack, the more likely you are going to get weird interactions that the mod authors never planned for, and can't reasonably be expected to fix.

Not sure why people do that. In most cases, about 20 to 30 mods plus supporting utilities is more content than you'll use in a years worth of play, and maintains near vanilla speed.

I would say its the 'fault' of Mojang, not mod authors of mod pack authors. In Wow I had hundreds of addons. Zero performance impact.

what kind of graphics card does it have thats usually the first problem is that it can't keep up with the rendering
Incorrect. Minecraft, and esp FTB are very CPU bound. It aint hard to render tiny textures. I can assume you if he slapped a Sli 690GTX setup in that computer he would have zero performance increase, and his GPUs would be sitting at 3% usage in his city and one of his CPU cores would be struggling its lil heart out as its doing now. When he leaves his city the framerate will shoot up again, but this doesn't fix anything.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That CPU is a massive bottleneck. There is no AMD CPU right now that will not be in FTB in the middle of all the mod stuff ingame.
Youd be wise to save up for a intel motherboard and a 3570K and OC it to 4.2-4.5Ghz. Understand thaty this cpu clocked at 2Ghz will still beat yours clocked at 3. This will remove the CPU as the bottleneck in ALL games, even if you get a 690GTX or 7990.
[DOUBLEPOST=1368063825][/DOUBLEPOST]

I would say its the 'fault' of Mojang, not mod authors of mod pack authors. In Wow I had hundreds of addons. Zero performance impact.

Dude, all those addons are is Lua scripts that call up data and frame it they are not actually changing game content. They are not as complex as even the simplest Minecraft Mod WoW plugins are incredibly small in comparison.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
That CPU is a massive bottleneck. There is no AMD CPU right now that will not be in FTB in the middle of all the mod stuff ingame.
Youd be wise to save up for a intel motherboard and a 3570K and OC it to 4.2-4.5Ghz. Understand that this cpu clocked at 2Ghz will still beat yours clocked at 3 (or even close to 4 for that matter). This will remove the CPU as the bottleneck in ALL games, even if you get a 690GTX or 7990.

I learned from experiance, and regret my PhenomII 965BE buy, 4Ghz on this thing and its still crushed by FTB with a 460GTX. All other games are fine. FTB eats CPUs.

Duly noted.

I always knew that MC in general was extremely CPU intensive, but I figured my CPU was good enough to handle it.

Any tips in regards to gameplay to help ease the pressure off of my CPU?

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I usually do the fast graphic settings on optifine to help my older computer play ultimate also it gives you the option to set the fps so that helped me by setting it lower since I think its set at 260 or something crazy like that

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, all those addons are is Lua scripts that call up data and frame it they are not actually changing game content. They are not as complex as even the simplest Minecraft Mod WoW plugins are incredibly small in comparison.
Broseph, just because you used simple addons, doesn't mean everyone did or complex ones did not exist. Besides that, you fully missed the point. Minecraft needs a official API thats surrounding a core designed for extension, Wow had that, thats why the addons preformed so well. Wow addons were very CPU intensive, as Minecraft ones are. Wow addons had to do a shit ton of math depending on what type it was, Just as Minecraft mods need to. The difference is minecraft mods history is one of hacking the game to make it work, while Wow was designed for the it. Mojang could take a leaf from Blizzards book in this area.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Duly noted.

I always knew that MC in general was extremely CPU intensive, but I figured my CPU was good enough to handle it.

Any tips in regards to gameplay to help ease the pressure off of my CPU?

You could try overclocking, optifine, lower view distance. Overclocking will do the most by far of those. I started spreading things out more + simplifying systems to take up less blocks. I see each block as a possible system that is going to take a bit, possibly large or small, ou of my CPU cycles. So in a way its interesting as you have to be smarter about building of you get punished