Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Minimaps, WALIA, Damage indicators, ArmourStatusHUD.

Every [literally every] pack has them installed.
Junks up the HUD like no tomorrow.
Its really nothing more than metagaming and "legitimised" cheating.
Takes away a lot of the game experience of working things out and actually learning.​
You know, if you're trying to troll, you're not doing a very good job at it. Just sayin.

As for something that's overused, at least, I'd have to put my finger squarely on GasCraft. So many packs have it nowadays, but I have yet to discern anything it has that's even remotely useful besides "MORE POWER GEN! : D" Don't get me wrong, I like having lots of options, but it spams algae all over the place and turns otherwise nice-looking waterways into disgusting quagmires, doesn't help that they make building any waterfront property a major pain in my arse. It also doesn't help when you happen upon a gas pocket and accidentally release it; even natural gas is lethal if you stay in too long, doubly so if there are ANY mobs nearby and you're still on vanilla armour. It adds nothing and junks up the world with ugly garbage.

One that's problematic is Ars Magica, without a doubt. I can't count the times I've been attempting to collect taint tendrils and blobs (and, for some reason, taint LOVES to spawn next to sheer effing cliffs), only to get knocked about, not by taint critters, but by four or more mana elementals from freaking nowhere. Oh, and its mobs (both hostile and passive) spawn in the Promised Land, even though there aren't supposed to be ANY hostile mobs there, yet I often find myself accosted by a gang of mana elementals whilst searching for spring water to make a pool.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Minimaps, WALIA, Damage indicators, ArmourStatusHUD.

Every [literally every] pack has them installed.
Junks up the HUD like no tomorrow.
Its really nothing more than metagaming and "legitimised" cheating.
Takes away a lot of the game experience of working things out and actually learning.​

I agree to an extent. I don't like all of the extra stuff in most cases, because frankly, if I'm playing with so many mods installed that I'd need WAILA to identify them, then that doesn't necessarily sound like a pack for me. The minimap is the one I would take exception to though, because even though it does make in-game maps fairly useless (other than to put them on the walls now), it's still a matter of convenience to me. Checking my armor status is easy, identifying a block is is easy, but carrying a bunch of individual maps and having no way to mark locations on them is still awkward. Until vanilla maps are better, or I suddenly develop a memory better than a goldfish, I'll always prefer a minimap.

Reactions: Blorph

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
On the topic of Overrated mods, I've found Pneumatic Craft to be very underwhelming. The plants are pretty cool, regardless of whether I enjoy how they're planted or not. The Pneumatic Helmet is really cool. Everything else is just kind of meh. I found myself in late game and wondered what to do with it.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
On the topic of Overrated mods, I've found Pneumatic Craft to be very underwhelming. The plants are pretty cool, regardless of whether I enjoy how they're planted or not. The Pneumatic Helmet is really cool. Everything else is just kind of meh. I found myself in late game and wondered what to do with it.
And for those of us that hate the plants.......yeah. I never really got the hype around that mod.

Reactions: FyberOptic

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Modular Powersuits. Its been my go to armor forever but I eventually realized that its a crutch and there are other more interesting ways of getting the same result. Namely, using a combination of armors from several different mods that can all be enchanted. Takes more work but is way more rewarding.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Modular Powersuits. Its been my go to armor forever but I eventually realized that its a crutch and there are other more interesting ways of getting the same result. Namely, using a combination of armors from several different mods that can all be enchanted. Takes more work but is way more rewarding.
that is how I became op on a server, had some witchery armor, the phantom knight helm from tf and earth armour it was pretty sweet with all the enchants on them.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, I think it would be pretty cool in an HQM map. Space age type thing where you're given the set off the bat with no upgrades, then depending on the task at hand you'd be given upgrades along the way.

To be honest, I think most armors are overrated. Mod devs almost seem to be competing for most powerful armor. Redstone arsenal, Blood Magic, Tinkers' Construct, Botania, Magical Crops, etc. There are some exceptionally powerful armor in modded minecraft.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics 2 And 1

Wayyyyyyyy to easy to get.
I had the exact opposite problem wit ae2 everything was so confusing(ae1 was too easy though), decently cheap but like throw this stuff in water. but you know depending on your play style complicated has a different meaning

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, I think it would be pretty cool in an HQM map. Space age type thing where you're given the set off the bat with no upgrades, then depending on the task at hand you'd be given upgrades along the way.

To be honest, I think most armors are overrated. Mod devs almost seem to be competing for most powerful armor. Redstone arsenal, Blood Magic, Tinkers' Construct, Botania, Magical Crops, etc. There are some exceptionally powerful armor in modded minecraft.

Well Im not sure about overrated. Overpowered, yes. Theres only so much damage a zombie can dish out but Im hardly interested in that so much as all the extras that usually come with modded armor like flight and night vision. And each mod does things differently. I consider it a good thing when a project like a full set of armor encompasses several mods.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Well Im not sure about overrated. Overpowered, yes. Theres only so much damage a zombie can dish out but Im hardly interested in that so much as all the extras that usually come with modded armor like flight and night vision. And each mod does things differently. I consider it a good thing when a project like a full set of armor encompasses several mods.
In Blood Magic the armour is going to be needed. When I finally finish adding in the demon invasion system (where even the lowliest demon will have 200+health), you are going to need some form of advantage to even think of going against them. Also, they'll hit harder than a 20tonne truck going down the freeway.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
In Blood Magic the armour is going to be needed. When I finally finish adding in the demon invasion system (where even the lowliest demon will have 200+health), you are going to need some form of advantage to even think of going against them. Also, they'll hit harder than a 20tonne truck going down the freeway.

If you wanted to be really evil about it, you could give several of the bosses the ability to break armour.

"Oh, so you have power armour giving you virtual invincibility and flight?"
*POOF*
"Not any more..."

Reactions: immibis

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If you wanted to be really evil about it, you could give several of the bosses the ability to break armour.

"Oh, so you have power armour giving you virtual invincibility and flight?"
*POOF*
"Not any more..."
Twilight Forest does that. A few of the bosses can cause "Rust".