Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
It takes like, 3 hours to read all that. I contend that it IS an excuse.
Those have never worked properly for me on any forum ever. They come up with a bunch of completely unrelated crap. So, yes, it is.
I would suggest learning to use it

You're going to get a lot of crap every time you decide "Oh well, I don't need to read these last 49 pages. Totally irrelevant content"

Reactions: dothrom

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
As I have seen in several industry reports whose guesses have a bit more veracity than some I've seen in this thread,

Ahem.

....also I just realized how much of a coder I still am, 12 years since I wrote anything significant and I spent an extra couple minutes compulsively closing my formatting tags in proper order on my phone.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest learning to use it

You're going to get a lot of crap every time you decide "Oh well, I don't need to read these last 49 pages. Totally irrelevant content"
Although it's completely reasonable. I stop reading the while of the thread when it gets to 10 pages.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on what you're adding to the conversation, I guess. Gotta be a responsible contributor and not lead the conversation into circles. :p

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on what you're adding to the conversation, I guess. Gotta be a responsible contributor and not lead the conversation into circles. :p
I think it depends on the conversation too. There are a lot of searches you could run in this thread that would be rather non-productive.

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
I personally am struggling to figure out WHY anyone would pay Mojang over 2 billion dollars for MineCraft.

-Wuffle

The Itworld article had a theory about that...
So that leaves us with the question of why Microsoft would spend $2.5 billion for what is essentially a single game (Mojang has a couple of other titles but they've not made much of a splash), particularly since the original mind behind the game isn't part of the package. Yes, Minecraft is wildly popular but it's been popular for a few years now; is there enough gas in the tank to make that money back? (Minecraft retails for about $20 on consoles, $27 on PC.)

I have to assume Microsoft plans to expand and extent Minecraft into a franchise. Think of the game a little bit like Lego. Every time a popular fantasy movie comes out, I envision Minecraft theme-packs that bring Minecraftian versions of the major characters in that movie to the game. And they can sell new textures sets, or packs of new monsters. Maybe packs of new items too. Basically they're going to try to sell us a ton of "DLC" for Minecraft.

But here's why that makes me nervous. In the past Minecraft has been a heavily modded game with the community creating textures and new game play and other features. In order for Microsoft to really capitalize on the game I think they'll have to shut down the modding community; that won't be a popular decision, to put it lightly.​

Silent-Hunter

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so what, precisely, would one search for in order to find that bit of information? I just manually skipped ahead until I started seeing things that sounded like it was confirmed, and began reading from there.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
If they mess it up I will go back to WoW. Hear that God? WoW!
Ill be what like level 100?
I will make videos of my hunters wolf soloing level 70 heroics. Big Deal.
Every time I stand at mineral deposits and pick them with the same button 100,000,000 times in a row, a bit of me will die inside.

Reactions: DaemosDaen

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Plus anyone who bought MC before Beta can sue if MS doesn't give them every update for free after that.

Doesn't work that way, at least in America. All they have to do is change the name to "Minecraft 2".

Remember: Windows 98 is not a successor version of Window 95. This was what our judicial system ruled. A ruling that applied to windows 95 and all successor versions did not apply to windows 98, which was ruled as a completely new and different product.

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't work that way, at least in America. All they have to do is change the name to "Minecraft 2".

Remember: Windows 98 is not a successor version of Window 95. This was what our judicial system ruled. A ruling that applied to windows 95 and all successor versions did not apply to windows 98, which was ruled as a completely new and different product.

That's why earlier I mentioned franchising MC into Minecraft2015, Minecraft2015 Extreme, Minecraft2016, Minecraft2016 Extreme...

Think about Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers. That game has yearly revisions that people keep buying if they want to stay current.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That's why earlier I mentioned franchising MC into Minecraft2015, Minecraft2015 Extreme, Minecraft2016, Minecraft2016 Extreme...

Think about Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers. That game has yearly revisions that people keep buying if they want to stay current.
That would be because it's a video game of a card game that has tournaments in which you must have up-to-date cards to compete. There's a reason. New cards come out all the time.

Trust me- I know.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
That would be because it's a video game of a card game that has tournaments in which you must have up-to-date cards to compete. There's a reason. New cards come out all the time.

Trust me- I know.
They also make very little from the game itself; they use it as a marketing vehicle, mostly to reinvest former players and bring new ones in through "Hey I know you said you didn't want to spend money on a card game but I want you to try it and MTG 2014 is five bucks."

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
They also make very little from the game itself; they use it as a marketing vehicle, mostly to reinvest former players and bring new ones in through "Hey I know you said you didn't want to spend money on a card game but I want you to try it and MTG 2014 is five bucks."

M15 is out now, and the M14 sets are about to be going out of standard. ;)

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I can't wait to see those blurbs on the main screen change.

Try Excel! It's great, now only $79.99, click HERE
Have you tried bing today? Click HERE (seriously, it doesn't suck)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I can't wait to see those blurbs on the main screen change.

Try Excel! It's great, now only $79.99, click HERE
Have you tried bing today? Click HERE (seriously, it doesn't suck)
Even assuming they do (which I doubt)..... so what?

The splash text is cute but hardly impacts your game.