Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
This is my favorite part.

Is the game going to change? Will we still be able to make videos, mods, awesome builds, and all the cool stuff we’ve created over the past few years?
Minecraft will continue to evolve, just like it has since the start of development. We don’t know specific plans for Minecraft’s future yet, but we do know that everyone involved wants the community to grow and become even more amazing than it’s ever been. Stopping players making cool stuff is not in anyone’s interests.

But don't mind us, carry on with your panic.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Are you kidding?

Microsoft studios ring any bells?
How about Rare? http://www.rare.co.uk/games

-_- microsoft own a load of game studios and implement their limitations as they wish, when i was at rare there is a handbook of things for each game in which microsoft studio "ideas" are placed. These ideas are not suggestions, but rather requirements
I've never been more ecstatic to be corrected. Thank you. Seeing some of the studios they own and some of the games produced makes me feel as if Microsoft actually has a chance of not ruining Minecraft.

GhostInTheShell

Jul 29, 2019
Stopping players making cool stuff is not in anyone’s interests.
Yes, but not monetizing on something that they bought for quite some money its not in their interest either. From now it's compromise between making something cool and making profit out of it. How big companies prioritize those two options - i don't need to explain it to you. i'm not blaming them for being "evil" and having the ill intentions or something like that. It's just how you stay in the bussiness and stay big.

I would like to share the optimism of people who want to "wait up and don't jump off the ship that ain't sinking" but let me tell you a few things:

We don't really have the legit alternative right now.

Of course cutting out the mod community is not something that would happen just over night, but it also applies to the userbase migration. There are a few choices and that's the first obstacle - because people(and modders) would split between them, some would probably will stay with the vanilla too. Second - those clones are not modders-ready yet. They don't have the solid foundation like forge to write mods freely. Rewriting the forge would be a massive task to do. Third - rewriting the mod to the other clone is a also a great amount of work - if you seen mods that have been rewritten from scratch - it's even worse, because there is even less code that can be salvaged.

To sum things up - there is a reason to "panic" a bit, because it's a game changer. If it influence the experience of casual Minecraft player? Probably not so much, for even a year or two. But looking back from that one-year-later perspective, you would be able to say that it all started around ...now.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but not monetizing on something that they bought for quite some money its not in their interest either.
Except it is in their interests.

Content creators on YouTube are a big reason why Minecraft grew the way it did. A Lot of these content creators will not continue out of the goodness of their heart alone. They've got to eat too.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
How many of you would be bothered if Microsoft made a proper modding API and supported it and whatnot, however they charged you £5 to install mods. Also, a fraction of that money would go to the modders. I could see the former happening but the latter would be a lot less likely.
EDIT: I meant £5 to get access to install any mod, not per mod. Just realised that that may have caused confusion.

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
How many of you would be bothered if Microsoft made a proper modding API and supported it and whatnot, however they charged you £5 to install mods. Also, a fraction of that money would go to the modders. I could see the former happening but the latter would be a lot less likely.
I'd end up keeping in 1.8 and below.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
To sum things up - there is a reason to "panic" a bit, because it's a game changer. If it influence the experience of casual Minecraft player? Probably not so much, for even a year or two. But looking back from that one-year-later perspective, you would be able to say that it all started around ...now.

I'm sorry, how does panic help anything?

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

Odenite

Jul 29, 2019
I just hope they don't pull a Simcity size screw up and make it so we have to be online to play or they add DLC (mods) that you have to pay for.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft is going to want every bit of that 2.5billion back in future sales. can we say paid DLC. fees to access servers. pay to get next major update

my other concern is possible new registration system. will people need an live account to log into or play online the game(pc)?

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Can we get a counter going on how many times "DLC" has been said in this thread?

VegetaItsOver9000-02.png

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Can we get a counter going on how many times "DLC" has been said in this thread?

Or a drinking game. How about you have to take twk suots for every brand new account post woth doom and gloom content.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Or a drinking game. How about you have to take twk suots for every brand new account post woth doom and gloom content.

The drinking game should be on-disc DLC, shipped with the game and charged extra to unlock something you've already bought.