Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
They should at least allowed modders to get a small fee per download, like app prices, from us players. I'd have been happy to buy them for a small price for my servers.

I think you are underestimating how many of us are broke. :/
Besides I think most mod devs have mentioned that they don't really care about the money. As has mojang.
That's one of the reasons that so many have developed mods for them.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft is smart, despite what some people say, it makes good business decisions and that is why it is one of the leaders of the computer industry. They know far better than you what will bring in the sales.
I agree 100%. But how that means that FTB and modded MC can live on like now is beyond me.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I agree 100%. But how that means that FTB and modded MC can live on like now is beyond me.
Like how it has been said before: merchandise. Minecraft is really starting to hits its stride in regards to this, they might not even care about the game itself.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Sure they might not want to monetize mods, but unfortunately I can't imagine them keeping Mojang's lax EULA in favor of what they have on all of their other game "just because we don't care".

Kezza

Jul 29, 2019
Like how it has been said before: merchandise. Minecraft is really starting to hits its stride in regards to this, they might not even care about the game itself.
So now you are coming to my point again at last. What happens to FTB? It will have no place in a Microsoft world. And I also agree that modders have not wanted money for their work; that is why I am so concerned about them. That is why I love the Minecraft community. As an old person, I have never seen such a mutually supportive and generous community as this, never expected it from current times, and it's given me real hope for the future of this planet. Only to suddenly see a corporate giant once again about to crush it. No of course they will not crush Minecraft. But they will crush opposition to making money from it. I'm sure free mods and plugins will not be on their 'MUST KEEP' list...

Kezza

Jul 29, 2019
I would propose to really start worrying once we:

a) know for sure the deal goes through. As far as I know that still hasn't been officially confirmed.
b) know for sure that the plans MS has with Minecraft are bad for us and the modding community. This is also far from certain. We simply don't know what MS plans to do. So it is useless to speculate about it.
I agree with this plan in part.
The deal is going through. However, FTB and other like communities no doubt should still form a two-part plan:
a) Wait to see if they let you keep modding or not;
b) if they let you, all is fine, do nothing. If they do not, form a development community to make a new game. You would be allowed to use any part of the FTB mod ideas you liked. Mojang does not own Buildcraft, for example. All of the ideas in that mod you would be rightfully allowed to use for a new game. Minecraft, on the other hand, would not, and would be breaching intellectual property rights if it does. Just don't use what Minecraft DOES use. By that I do not mean you can't have mining or farming etc; yes indeed you can. There are thousands of other games that do. Just vary it enough to be not a direct copy. And with all those ideas in FTB, it's already most of the way there.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a "fun" thought. Phone games tones of them. Crappy ones based on your favorite mods. Like the thaumcraft tower defense game. Or the Blood magic card game. :/

Ok now I want to start a new thread based on this notion. Games based on Mods but not based on minceaft ideas.
Can I get a second on that motion.[DOUBLEPOST=1410432526][/DOUBLEPOST]
You would be allowed to use any part of the FTB mod ideas you liked. Mojang does not own Buildcraft, for example. All of the ideas in that mod you would be rightfully allowed to use for a new game. Minecraft, on the other hand, would not, and would be breaching intellectual property rights if it does. Just don't use what Minecraft DOES use. By that I do not mean you can't have mining or farming etc; yes indeed you can. There are thousands of other games that do. Just vary it enough to be not a direct copy. And with all those ideas in FTB, it's already most of the way there.

I wonder about that. The Ideas might be free but the names would be part of the code. And replacing them might be harder than you might think. After all mods have used every synonym for grinder there is. And the same is true for many other components. Where it's simply impossible for there not to be a lot of overlap.

Another thing that concerns me. Even if some of Microsoft's employes don't want to exploit minecraft some of them will. And will try to do just that. And even if they are voted down today tomorrow they might not be. :/

Last edited:

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I wonder about that. The Ideas might be free but the names would be part of the code. And replacing them might be harder than you might think. After all mods have used every synonym for grinder there is. And the same is true for many other components. Where it's simply impossible for there not to be a lot of overlap.

Another thing that concerns me. Even if some of Microsoft's employes don't want to exploit minecraft some of them will. And will try to do just that. And even if they are voted down today tomorrow they might not be. :/
doesn't matter; the vanilla hopper appeared after the buildcraft hopper (with some obvious parallels) and no grief came of that besides some grumbling

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Also this
10343026_698025026951515_4681871681755298780_n.png

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft is smart, despite what some people say, it makes good business decisions and that is why it is one of the leaders of the computer industry. They know far better than you what will bring in the sales.

may i ask if GFWL was a good businesses decision?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
i'm pretty with that they can force people to use only newest version of their launcher, which doesn't support older versions.
so if that thing to happen we're kinda screwed.

Perhaps, perhaps not. It is possible (at least for single player) to bypass that check. If you have a forge dev environment for making mods that happens already for example and hacked copies of Minecraft do it too. That wouldn't help for server play but perhaps something can be done about that as well (would have to be done server side in that case of course).

Wether all of that is legal is another question...