Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
What scares me the most is that buying them for $2B means they expect a profit out of it in the end. I was talking with a couple people and apparently it would take Mojang 20 years to get that kind of money. So microsoft taking over is not looking like the best move at all.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
If this does happen. With any luck they'll let the PC version operate as it has been. I'd guess they're likely more interested in getting complete control of the Xbox version and PE.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
If Microsoft will realize that Minecraft is unlike any game they have Dev'd in the past, and that a good modding program is literally the best thing as far as extending game life, therefore improving ratings and causing people to tell their friends about Minecraft. I'm no marketing major, but I'm pretty sure Mojang has made some seriously dumb business decisions. Hopefully, this means Mojang becomes an ultimately better business with a larger talent base for the coding, among other perks.

If Microsoft does it wrong and closes Minecraft to vanilla+small, bad mods, I sure as hell won't play and I'm certain it'll be negative for everybody.

Tl;Dr, This could be done right and be great or it could be done poorly and be awful.
A good business plan is not to let a player base buy a game once and play it for YEARS adding free mod based content. A better business plan is to release mod packages for the game that you can sell to your extant player base.

from a financial standpoint many of us have gotten a heck of a deal from our original purchase of vanilla minecraft.

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure why Notch would do this.
When asked how much money he had, he answered that he had no idea.
So unless he goes full George Lucas, I don't see why this would happen.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Eyamaz ‏@Eyamaz 2m
In other news, I've officially started negotiations to by @joshiejack from @JadedcatWylde for 2 Billion Kittens
I hope she's planning a barbecue for her player base. Not sure what other productive use you could put two billion kittens to..... catastrophe must be avoided, save the world, eat a cat.

(if you don't get the refrence you likely do not play dwarf fortress.)

Reactions: Jadedcat and Eyamaz

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Minecraft being sold to Microsoft would be the worst thing that happened to Minecraft ever. Even worse then the bunnies.

Unless it's just (and only just) the xbox version of Minecraft. Then I don't care.

C

chbachman

If Microsoft basically leaves it the way things are, where mods are allowed, and free, then i will continue to play and make mods for it. Otherwise, either if i have to pay for mods, or mods are just not allowed, then i am leaving right then and there. Microsoft will not get another dollar from me.

Does anybody know of any other java-based games that are moddable, similar to MC?

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
This reeks of BS. Notch, who is still very much involved with Mojang (remember, Mojang isn't just Minecraft), is pretty vocal about big-corporation crap like this. I doubt he would let this level of nonsense go through without leaving the company.
I don't know how Mojang is structured, but if Notch stands to recieve a significant portion of the buyout.... well he may be looking to his own retirement rather than the games future.....

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
What scares me the most is that buying them for $2B means they expect a profit out of it in the end. I was talking with a couple people and apparently it would take Mojang 20 years to get that kind of money. So microsoft taking over is not looking like the best move at all.
This is why I say Microsoft has its head up its own ass. They haven't made very good business decisions lately, but they definitely want a profit. They would squeeze out a "Minecraft 2" as soon as possible after acquiring the rights. It would be a terrible, rushed, mess that completely misses the point of Minecraft because it would be overseen by dudes wearing suits with dollar signs in their eyes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
If Microsoft basically leaves it the way things are, where mods are allowed, and free, then i will continue to play and make mods for it. Otherwise, either if i have to pay for mods, or mods are just not allowed, then i am leaving right then and there. Microsoft will not get another dollar from me.

Does anybody know of any other java-based games that are moddable, similar to MC?
If this deal goes through, which I doubt, I'm sure several people would make a look-alike in more intuitive & moddable java or another language, and I would sure as hell be in that with them.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with VikeStep on this one, it's a dumb move by Microsoft. If the deal goes through then Microsoft will want to see some kind of return for their investment (especially nowadays when every dollar of income counts). It'll most likely lead to some kind of additional monetization in the Minecraft game unless a whole new game is developed, which is a headache and another investment.
I have liked Minecraft for a long time, but I think people are right when they say that the success of Minecraft doesn't guarantee that Mojang isn't a one-hit wonder. And this next sentence is strictly my personal opinion, I don't play vanilla anymore because I reckon Minecraft is on the downhill run already.
I did some research just now on the original Space Invaders game and how long it's main success run lasted. It was about 3 years from 1979-1982 or thereabouts, so really Minecraft is already on borrowed time since it became available as Alpha in 2010. Minecraft has developed, but essentially it's been the same gameplay recycled for years, and like Space Invaders, a revolutionary game doesn't mean it can stave off any impending drops in popularity.
Again, it's my opinion when I say that Minecraft has already had it's glory days. You only have to go to the Mindcrack server to find out that nobody is building massive arenas or castles anymore, because it's an old game nowadays and subsequently it's hard to get really excited about it anymore and build stuff until your brain melts out your ears.
Anyway....I'm ranting so I'll finish there because I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about lol

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, people who know their legal stuff: If this indeed goes through, will the mods and Minecraft versions already present be up to modding as they are right now, or can Microsoft make our 1.6-7 packs illegal?

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, people who know their legal stuff: If this indeed goes through, will the mods and Minecraft versions already present be up to modding as they are right now, or can Microsoft make our 1.6-7 packs illegal?
Theoretically, they would be able to say we can't mod the older versions of MC anymore. They wouldn't be able to do anything about modding that happened *prior* to the acquisition. But what happens after the acquisition and revision of the EULA, I'd say it's anyone's guess. Furthermore, mods written for minecraft may be available for MS to incorporate to the game (however much of a legal mess that would be).

<-is not a legal expert. just my best guess.

Edit: Basically I think they would be able to do a big "Cease and Desist" to everyone.

Last edited: