OP-ness Verification

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
That's your opinion; mine is that it's the purview of a mod author to resolve bugs, exploits and imbalances rather than relying on individual server admins to tweak configs and work around said problems.

You've certainly clarified your position on the matter in your refusal to remain civil. There's no value in further discussion here.

Man it's good job there's only like, twelve mods that use Forge. No wait, tons of mods use Forge, and are thus compatible with each other. Trying to fix every possible imbalance is an exercise in futility, and not just because the list of mods to consider is constantly growing.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
actually, greg already points the nerfgun at infinite water, so it might be a bit more complicated soon... but there is still the xycraft water block...

I'm sure he's perfectly fine with infinite water, reason: the new drain cover he made.. the thing is a lot faster than aqueous accumulator..

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Infinite water is something thats always been minecraft- though if larger pools of water were needed to be considered 'infinite'. Still not really the end of the world- far worse if water didnt behave like that, the amount of ugly mess in the ocean from overpumping...

Water in the nether is a different matter though, it'll be fairly neat if water sources couldn't be placed all together (incl UUM->water, XYwater blocks not working)- essentially the only way would be storing it in tank via a pump/source in a different dimension.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Water so OP, a 2x2 pool lasts forever. Plz nerf.
I can break wood with my fists, fists OP. Plz nerf.
Lazer gun mines through everything, lazer OP. Plz nerf.
1 log turns into 4 planks, logs OP. Plz nerf.
Bedrock too hard, can't mine, bedrock OP. Plz nerf.

GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GET ON IT!!!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
With the way things are going, Greg will have his own modpack soon. It'll have a 100% subjugated IC2 and Gregtech versions of every other mod. His logos will be everywhere, even on the trees. You'll need iridium to craft anything higher than an iron furnace. Villagers won't accept emeralds, only UU-Matter. Config access will be denied. Diamond armor will require advanced machine blocks and steel in the recipe. The Twilight Forest will be completely dark unless you use the Gregtech Environmental Ambient Light Creator. It will NOT be OP. It will be the least OP modpack ever created.

It won't be easy. It will grind you down into despair. It will not be OP at all. But most of all tons of people will play it even though they truly are not having fun.

But they'll be able to say their game isn't OP

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
With the way things are going, Greg will have his own modpack soon. It'll have a 100% subjugated IC2 and Gregtech versions of every other mod. His logos will be everywhere, even on the trees. You'll need iridium to craft anything higher than an iron furnace. Villagers won't accept emeralds, only UU-Matter. Config access will be denied. Diamond armor will require advanced machine blocks and steel in the recipe. The Twilight Forest will be completely dark unless you use the Gregtech Environmental Ambient Light Creator. It will NOT be OP. It will be the least OP modpack ever created.

It won't be easy. It will grind you down into despair. It will not be OP at all. But most of all tons of people will play it even though they truly are not having fun.

In his newer ones he didn't add config options for a shit ton of the stuff he changed which just means I won't even have his mod sitting in my pack doing nothing.

Dunno why your post made me think of that .-.

Reactions: RedBoss

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019

Greg's been good about configs, though :p

And where do I get this EnvironmentalAmbientLightCreator (you didn't spell it like greg, spacesareop) :D

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

And where do I get this EnvironmentalAmbientLightCreator (you didn't spell it like greg, spacesareop) :D
In the last 1.4.7 update this was in the changes:

I changed tons of Crafting Recipes, including Mixed Metal Ingots, Dense Copper Plates and almost every Machine. I won't add any Config to revert that massive change!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

Hoff is correct. It seems that going forward he's really going nutjob crazy with his recipe changing.

The EnvironmentalAmbientLightCreator is Greg's version of the moon which he replaced with a craftable moon recipe. Yes you'll have to craft the moon because he disabled it in his pack because moonlight is mainly reflected sunlight for free, which naturally is OP.

Reactions: jumpfight5

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
In the last 1.4.7 update this was in the changes:

I changed tons of Crafting Recipes, including Mixed Metal Ingots, Dense Copper Plates and almost every Machine. I won't add any Config to revert that massive change!

is that a joke or for real? because coming from gregnerf, everythingnerf is possible

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019

Stop giving ideas to Greg.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
That's a quote taken from his changelog.

one tries to play with that stupid mod and its retarded nerfs trying to change the configs that not even einstein understands that stupid mess, but no, he has to fuck up your life by making whatever he wants whoever he wants, and the FTB developers don't even CARE about it. Next update I'm gonna remove that crap stupid addon even if it corrupts my world!

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, he (Greg) had two choices:

1. Gregtech makes all related recipes/machines/whatelse harder or more in 'line' as he saw fit, but offered configs to finetune each setting to ones' liking, thus creating a more or less hard resourcegame for every single player and/or server out there. This would rephrase GT from a pure gameplay mod to something more config-centered. It could've been expanded onto TE, Forestry, AE, whatever.

2. Gregtech is a vision of Greg, where stuff is exactly as hard as HE always thought stuff should've been in the first place. Configs are only containing more or less general features (like the de/activation of certain machines altogether), but do not offer tweaks about difficulty or recipes at all. This would rephrase GT into a more pure 'hardcore addition for the easily bored who love to grind resources' mod.

Seeing sentences like "I won't add configs to revert changes" makes me think he's more and more on a trip to choice 2: "I'll make techincal MC as hard as *I* want. And no, I do not care if you disagree with me - take it or leave it, spit or swallow!" - which in my book is a turn to the worse, as GT already split the playerbase as it is/was. Hardcoding 'hardcore settings' into his mod will probably only harden the fronts, not convince players to at least give it a try.

Ah well, take it with a grain of salt, in the end, it's just my opinion and neither does it matter, nor will it (lol) make Greg change his mind. ;)

Reactions: Dravarden

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
So this whole "Let's give greg ideas!" thing...make it a bit more subtle?
For example....

So guys, ever notice how you love mod authors who give us configs?
If I found a mod with the ability to tweak it as I please, I would definitely recommend said mod, whether it be Flat Bedrock, or GregTech, to many friends! If this mod does not happen to hold many configs, I would probably not recommend it to another friend, whether it be Gregtech or Optifine!