NuclearCraft - A Modern Physics Mod

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Nice :) I have done a ton of experimentation to try to maximize efficiencies, but I know the numbers and such are in flux so I didn't really keep track of designs.
Yeh, the numbers have been changed around more than I would have wanted, but I think the most recent numbers aren't going to change for the foreseeable future :) Maybe I should upload some of mine to get the ball rolling...
One neat thing: if you have buildcraft installed, you can blueprint a NC reactor and rebuild entirely as needed, even between worlds. The only thing that doesn't seem to replicate properly is liquids (in the event that you use water blocks). BC *should* copy this properly but it doesn't seem to work as intended (issue on their side, nothing to do with NC)
Well, I hadn't thought of that - very useful! I imagine most of the time water isn't used because of its shoddy stats. The one thing that has a good chance of changing is the bonus on IC2 coolant based coolers, as most of the time they simply aren't worth using. Perhaps they should be adjacent to a standard or water based cooler to get their bonus instead.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeh, the numbers have been changed around more than I would have wanted, but I think the most recent numbers aren't going to change for the foreseeable future :) Maybe I should upload some of mine to get the ball rolling...

Well, I hadn't thought of that - very useful! I imagine most of the time water isn't used because of its shoddy stats. The one thing that has a good chance of changing is the bonus on IC2 coolant based coolers, as most of the time they simply aren't worth using. Perhaps they should be adjacent to a standard or water based cooler to get their bonus instead.
Yeah I definitely never use the liquids. Not sure what the best solution is, but basically the ideal scenario is: more work = more benefit. If you're familiar with IC2 distilled water, you know there's a bit of time and effort there, since you need to build (an array of) distillation blocks, and they take quite a while to generate their output.

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I definitely never use the liquids. Not sure what the best solution is, but basically the ideal scenario is: more work = more benefit. If you're familiar with IC2 distilled water, you know there's a bit of time and effort there, since you need to build (an array of) distillation blocks, and they take quite a while to generate their output.
Yeh, I do remember that. I'm having flashbacks, in fact, to when I had a big water distillation plant decimated by an IC2 reactor explosion, only to learn that there was a bug with the rate at which the quad cells were generating power and heat. I wouldn't say it's at the level of resonant ender or cryotheum, but it's certainly worth more than the cooler's current properties make it out to be.
One thing I will do in 1.10.2 is improve the way graphite behaves, and also add other moderators.
Also, the 1.8 vid is out. The 1.9 one will follow shortly.

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Right, I've been testing out some new mechanics for the fission reactor, mainly for one simple reason - graphite currently doesn't really work very well. I've been testing out some new mechanics in 1.7.10 and will probably make a video highlighting the future changes tomorrow (and might even release a 1.9d 'test version' for people to get used to it if they want to).
The problem was that, particularly in very large reactors, people were installing only 8 or 9 fuel cell compartments, then loading up the entire rest of the structure with graphite and coolant, which could catapult the efficiencies up to around a ridiculous 100000%. This is a flaw in the system, and the following changes will be made:

1. Graphite will only produce additional power if adjacent to a fuel cell compartment. It will produce additional heat regardless of its position.
2. Fuel cell compartments will be more efficient if adjacent to a graphite block followed by a fuel cell compartment, as well as being more efficient if simply next to another fuel cell compartment. This effect stacks in the same way as before (additional power increases linearly, additional heat increases quadratically).
3. In addition to this, coolant reactor coolers will be doubly effective when adjacent to water reactor coolers, and simple water fluid no longer has any affect in a reactor (it was a minuscule effect anyway).

This should do 2 things - first, it will stop reactor efficiencies being anywhere near as ridiculous (I haven't done the full testing but I imagine ~1000% is the new limit), and secondly large reactor designs will be much more interesting :)

Reactions: RenzosNips

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a stable 1.9d build, without the radiation mechanics, you can get it here. This is recommended for those who simply want to update the mod for their long-term worlds. Remember to turn off all Fission Reactors before updating!

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
[EDITED RECENTLY IN LIGHT OF THE LATEST HAPPENINGS]

Right! A little update. We are basically now done with 1.7.10, as you may know (apart from bug fixes, etc.), and I'm slowly but surely working towards a 1.11.2 build. It's going to take some time, but we'll get there!

The first thing I'll do is just get the fission stuff updated before Easter, and simply move on from there in the Summer. In the process of updating, I'll have the opportunity to clean up some of the more ancient code, mess with the recipes, possibly some textures and some other things along the way too. Here's a little list I want to do for 1.11.2:

1. I'm aiming to have at least basic Mekanism, JEI, Tesla, RF and IC2 integration. Mekanism mainly for the gases, JEI as the new NEI, Tesla as another power system and IC2 for cross-compatability. Although there is a '4 RF to 1 EU' conversion rate, since IC2 is generally more difficult when it comes to power generation, although the machines will use that ratio, I'm thinking that the generators should use a ratio closer to '40 RF to 1 EU', but this will be balanced and configurable.
2. I'm going to balance the recipes a bit so that there's less of a focus on lead. The only crafting metals added by the mod will be Boron, Lithium and Magnesium, and the other base metals from other mods will be used (almost all NC players I've seen have such a mod). I'm going to also remove the random metal components already in the game, as well as the frankly tedious-to-make machine base.

Then, there's all of the stuff previously mentioned that I want to add slowly over time:

1. More efficient, actively cooled fission reactors that use molten salt fuels which produce steam.
2. Multiblock steam turbines, which will have a similar yet different complex building system to fission reactors.
3. Perhaps a different style of fusion reactor which produces steam rather than RF.
4. More advanced particle physics.

5. A radiation system. First of all, this was tested out in a recent 'proof of concept' build quite recently, and although the idea seemed to work, the actual mechanics themselves were problematic. Most of the issues revolved around editing the maximum health, messing with other mods such as Morph and TC. There is quite simple solution to this however - instead of radiation taking the player's health down, the player can just be plagued by more and more bad status effects, getting more severe as the player gets more irradiated. This should cause no major compatibility issues.

The basic idea is to have a radiation level per player, and a radiation level per world chunk.
The player can be irradiated by items in their inventory or by the radiation level of the chunk they're standing in. The amount of irradiation can be reduced by wearing Tough Alloy Armour, which acts as a hazmat suit (I've always found it annoying that hazmat suits are generally poor amours), or hazmat suits from other mods, if I can work that out. Radiation can also be removed by RadAway and futher negated by Rad-X.

The chunks are simply irradiated by blocks and events in the world itself. Fission reactors, RTGs, nukes, perhaps even items on the ground. The higher the radiation level, the more radiation the player receives and the more radiation will spread to neighbouring chunks. Perhaps more nuclear monsters could spawn, too. If the radiation level gets far too high in a chunk, then blocks which are susceptible to damage from radiation will begin to be altered.
This set of mechanics is very much inspired by Azanor's brilliant ThaumCraft 2, where 'taint' can spread across chunks and effect blocks and entities in them.
I also want there to be ways to measure the radiation level of the player or chunks (Geiger counters, etc.).

Anyway, as I said, I don't know when the first version will come, but all the ideas are there ready to be implemented :)

Last edited:

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
1. I'm aiming to have at least basic Mekanism, JEI, Tesla and IC2 integration. Mekanism mainly for the gases, JEI as the new NEI, Tesla as a new power system and IC2 for cross-compatability. Although there is a '4 RF to 1 EU' conversion rate, since IC2 is generally more difficult when it comes to power generation, although the machines will use that ratio, I'm thinking that the generators should use a ratio closer to '40 RF to 1 EU', but this will be balanced and configurable.

What about Forge Energy?

The chunks are simply irradiated by blocks and events in the world itself. Fission reactors, RTGs, nukes, perhaps even items on the ground. The higher the radiation level, the more radiation the player receives and the more radiation will spread to neighbouring chunks. Perhaps more nuclear monsters could spawn, too. If the radiation level gets far too high in a chunk, then blocks which are susceptible to damage from radiation will begin to be altered.
This set of mechanics is very much inspired by Azanor's brilliant ThaumCraft 2, where 'taint' can spread across chunks and effect blocks and entities in them.
I also want there to be ways to measure the radiation level of the player or chunks (Geiger counters, etc.).

There's a couple of in progress pollution mods (no idea where they are at in terms of progress), you might want to take a look at those.

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's been some time, but I'm finally back in action - there's a lot of work at uni, eh? Quick update video in case you missed it - NuclearCraft for 1.11.2 is coming closer every day :)

Just to add to what I said about the metals used in crafting, the only ores NC will add will be thorium, uranium, boron, lithium and magnesium - lead, copper, etc. will also be used in recipes, and as always there will be ore dictionary support for those recipes. Also, the final 1.7.10 version mentioned will be done soon.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, it's been some time, but I'm finally back in action - there's a lot of work at uni, eh? Quick update video in case you missed it - NuclearCraft for 1.11.2 is coming closer every day :)

Just to add to what I said about the metals used in crafting, the only ores NC will add will be thorium, uranium, boron, lithium and magnesium - lead, copper, etc. will also be used in recipes, and as always there will be ore dictionary support for those recipes. Also, the final 1.7.10 version mentioned will be done soon.
Glad you're back in action soon. Looking forward to the first iteration of the revision.

Do you have a (empty or otherwise) repo for it yet in github?

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a (empty or otherwise) repo for it yet in github?
Will do very shortly - I'm just about to finish off the fission reactor, and so I'll set one up afterwards. I'm currently modding in 1.11.2, so that one will be up first, and then going down to 1.10.2 is actually remarkably simple :)

Last edited:

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, although fission is not quite done, I'll aim to get the repository set up tomorrow :)

I'm actually having a strange issue with the fission controller, and so I might make a YT video directing people to the source to see if they can see what's wrong :p

Reactions: Pyure

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Initial alpha releases of NuclearCraft for 1.10.2 and 1.11.2 are now available!
Fission is nearly done, but for now, you can just process your fuel rods in the fission controller (it doesn't need a structure) and the rest should be familiar - I guess the RTGs are the most useful addition right now :)
There is IC2 and Tesla support alongside the usual RF, and JEI support is the next thing to get done.

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Beta releases with Fission Reactors now included are available!
Fission works in almost exactly the same way as in 1.7.10, except that there are more coolers and they now work in different ways - a cooler will not be effective at all unless the positioning requirement is met!
The power and heat gen stats for the fuels are also far more realistic (closer to the real theoretical values), and obtaining the higher level fuels should now be much less of a hassle. Still on the immediate to-do list is JEI integration.
A full changelog and a video explaining the reactors in more detail will come soon. Enjoy, and thanks for the support :)

After some testing I decided to change the stats for what was hopefully the last time, so it is recommended that your fission configs are reset if you're updating from version 2.0 - in fact, you may crash if you don't do this. I will look for a fix...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure