Nuclear Tower of Power (or how to create obscene EU/t)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
140 EU/t No Running Cost
Originally created by Qwe1rty and refined by Omicron, this is a 2 chamber reactor with 3.5 Efficiency rating and no 140 EU/t.
I can live with that. I'm an efficiency stickler, and not in the right mindset to work on a CRCS reactor at the moment. Being on Ultimate 1.1.2 means the gains from plutonium are stifled significantly

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Nice design Shneekey, saw it on the ic2 forums and have been using it in my let's play for a couple of weeks (2 tier producing 1440eu/t) and it works great :) I'm using BC Silicon and Advanced Power Management for the redstone control.

reactor.jpg

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Nice design Shneekey, saw it on the ic2 forums and have been using it in my let's play for a couple of weeks (2 tier producing 1440eu/t) and it works great :) I'm using BC Silicon and Advanced Power Management for the redstone control.

View attachment 7670
First off, that is an amazing application of the design! It is not only functional, it also looks amazing.

Second, there's a slight design flaw here which is preventing you from actualizing the full EU/t output possible.

From watching your video, you are using an MFSU to act as a gate trigger. When it is full, it turns off the reactor. This MFSU then sends energy to the other three. Unfortunately, this ALSO means it is throttling your EU output to 512/t.

You're going to need a two-tier gate design to fix this problem. Allow me to explain:

First off, get rid of the MFSU directly attached to the tower. It's your choke-point. Then you're going to run structure pipe down to your three MFSU's. Put a gate on each one that outputs red pipe signal if there is space to store energy, leave the gates on the reactors alone (red pipe signal -> redstone signal).

Now if ANY of the three MFSU's have room for power, it will output energy. If all three are full, however, it won't.

This will permit your MFSU's to fill much faster because all 1440 EU/t is hitting the terminal MFSU's rather than being throttled to the 512 EU/t that the single MFSU can output.

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I've recreated the "Nuclear Tower of Power" in my base and it was outputting 7200eu/t. It "was". 1 day later (today) I hopped on and for no apparent reason I decided to check the output with an EU Reader and it seems the energy produced has decreased to about 6874eu/t. I check every reactor and the contents were as I've left it before. So I used the EU Reader on each individual reactor (directly on the reactor not the glass fibre cable) and I've discovered that as the reactors are higher up in the tower, the lower the EU output. From 180eu/t (bottom) to 160eu/t.
Anyone know why this is? I have the power outputting to 16 MFSU's which power my whole base, but I dont think that's causing the EU loss. I'm using this in FTB Unleashed Pack.

Thanks in advance.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hi,

I've recreated the "Nuclear Tower of Power" in my base and it was outputting 7200eu/t. It "was". 1 day later (today) I hopped on and for no apparent reason I decided to check the output with an EU Reader and it seems the energy produced has decreased to about 6874eu/t. I check every reactor and the contents were as I've left it before. So I used the EU Reader on each individual reactor (directly on the reactor not the glass fibre cable) and I've discovered that as the reactors are higher up in the tower, the lower the EU output. From 180eu/t (bottom) to 160eu/t.
Anyone know why this is? I have the power outputting to 16 MFSU's which power my whole base, but I dont think that's causing the EU loss. I'm using this in FTB Unleashed Pack.

Thanks in advance.
That sounds like your top reactors might be 'flickering'. If you have an automatic shutoff, some of them might be getting triggered just long enough for one tick, then turning back on again.

Check your MFSU's if they are full of power, that might be causing it.

Also check for redstone signal interference. You could be getting a signal from somewhere to turn them off intermittently.

I haven't been able to duplicate this in my 1.5.2 test world. If you can figure out why it is doing this, I will document it or see if there is a solution to this bizarre problem.

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
@ShneekyTheLost Ok so I poked around for a bit. There isn't a redstone signal interference anywhere. I added one more segment to the top NOT connected to the tower and it outputs 720eu/t but as soon as I connect it to the tower at the top, the output drops to 640eu/t (160eu/t per reactor). I've tested with both using the main redstone signal as well as a seperate lever to turn on the new segment, both give the same results. I've also checked the MFSU's and they are far from full.

I'm going to a test world using the same modpack and recreate the tower to see if the issue is still there, hopefully that will determine whether the issue is with 1.5.2 or something else. I'll get be back with results.