Nuclear Tower of Power (or how to create obscene EU/t)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
for IC2 fertilizer you only need recycler, automatic crafting bench(or other block with same purpose), some piping and knowledge to utilize overflow to you advantage
Meh, maybe i'll do that next time.

One disadvantage of this setup is that it eats up my FPS on my not-very-powerful laptop. I'll have to save this design for when i'm on my proper computer.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I have a feeling that Greg will copy the code used for the BC pump as soon as he feels bothered - BC is open source, he could simply copy-paste and change whatever needs changed to make it work for his pump. It removes all flowing blocks, so is perfect for sea-oil pumping also, and can still be perfect for overworld lava.

Yeah, I could ask dave to chane the configs, but the farm is set that way to reduce lag, if set to be able to find natura redwoods, it would cause a LOT of lag (comparitavely).

Thig is, with Peppes design, 2 routers, both with item upgrades, machine upgrades and, for convenience, ejectors if wanted, one could have the reactors all touching, or use furnaces to connect the inventorys of those that don't connect, and just have one router set to put uranium cells into a "nuclear reactor" and the other set to take "depleted uranium cells" from nuclear reactors, and dropping them downwards into whatever breeder system you want. Unlike a coing cell design, Peppes can be much more compact, ESP if routers are involved. A dual column of reActors, with one side of each touching a cable and another a rednet cable, with routers at the bottom would probably be better.
Code:
NC
WR
Where N is Nuclear reactor, C is cable and R is rednet, as a cross-section. Column lime that, with routers at bottom.

I however, would also like the rest of my above post answered, so will stop here.

The last time I tried to use routers with a machine filter with nuclear reactors, I discovered that the reactor wasn't in the name list. My understanding is that it can still be entered manually by typing the properly coded name, but I have no idea what that is (which made it impossible for me to use routers). If you happen to know how to get them to work, I'd be very happy to know how you did it.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I don't think the router machine filter responds to chambers very well, but with single-cell reactors its just whatever the name if the item in your hand is.

And @dave, the inventory upgrade suggestion was for automating an IC2 miner, routers for the reactors.
The big upgrade wasn't for a planter/harvester combo, but merely for a fertiliser for a Steves carts farm, running in redwoods.

And how would consuming power to make power be a "bridge to fusion"? I'm referring to the laser eating a (large?) portion if the power generated by the uranium/tin it brings up.
And what are the different foci for? Finding more of certain ores?
If so, what foci correspond to what ores?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It is... sad that we need to build such complicated systems with a running cost to only get close to solar arrays. Do you see what solars did to IC2?
But your design is impressive, no doubts.

Don't install Advanced Solars and Compact Solars. Problem solved. Compact Windmills, Compact Solars, and to a lesser extend Advanced Solars are bad design even if they are good coding policy.[DOUBLEPOST=1370366384][/DOUBLEPOST]
And how would consuming power to make power be a "bridge to fusion"? I'm referring to the laser eating a (large?) portion if the power generated by the uranium/tin it brings up.

When GT is installed but Advanced/Compact Solars isn't, a popular strategy is to build a reactor to generate the requisite EU to make UU-matter (usually in conjunction with boosters like lightning rods if the materials are available). That power supply is dedicated to UU matter and is separate from processing.

This system produces so very much EU that the mining laser cost is a small price to pay for renewability.

And what are the different foci for? Finding more of certain ores?

You can limit the list of ores that are allowed out and thus maximize your yields. Ask Poppycocks to show you how it works.[DOUBLEPOST=1370366479][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a feeling that Greg will copy the code used for the BC pump as soon as he feels bothered - BC is open source, he could simply copy-paste and change whatever needs changed to make it work for his pump. It removes all flowing blocks, so is perfect for sea-oil pumping also, and can still be perfect for overworld lava.

Does Greg, himself, actually feel that nether pumping is an exploit? I get the impression that some people in his forum do but I've yet to see an example of him personally agreeing. If anything, he's made it easier rather than hard to drain the nether. The Advanced Pump is crazy fast and fairly efficient.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Don't install Advanced Solars and Compact Solars. Problem solved. Compact Windmills, Compact Solars, and to a lesser extend Advanced Solars are bad design even if they are good coding policy.
Yep, I meant Adv/Compact Solars. I just didn't want to bring another power holywar in the thread. Considering that most of the people on this forum use Ultimate/DW20, they have Adv/Compact Solars installed.
I'm glad that you didn't add them to RR pack, since that would be just... bad. Oh, if only Calc did something to his demolished balance in AS...
You can limit the list of ores that are allowed out and thus maximize your yields. Ask Poppycocks to show you how it works.
Poppy!!! You are reading this, I know! Tell Pony a story!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, without compact/advanced solars/windmills, do people still spam solars/windmills?

I don't use solars, but I would miss my ultimate solar helmet.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, without compact/advanced solars/windmills, do people still spam solars/windmills?

I don't use solars, but I would miss my ultimate solar helmet.

They can get banned from servers for doing it. It's actually dumb to do this. Why? Because it's incredibly easy to hook an MFR treefarm up to a bank of generators and get massive and constant power. The design for 40eu/t is trivial and approachable with pre-diamond materials.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
They can get banned from servers for doing it. It's actually dumb to do this. Why? Because it's incredibly easy to hook an MFR treefarm up to a bank of generators and get massive and constant power. The design for 40eu/t is trivial and approachable with pre-diamond materials.
Agreed. Each solar costs a generator and other materials to run (circuits, for example)
Each generator produce 10 Eu/t. If you automate them, you will save 10x iron + tons of wire and so on with same power output. And for me it's more interesting to do so than to spam solars.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. Each solar costs a generator and other materials to run (circuits, for example)
Each generator produce 10 Eu/t. If you automate them, you will save 10x iron + tons of wire and so on with same power output. And for me it's more interesting to do so than to spam solars.

Yeah. At some point the design for solid fuel EU generator rigs gets more interesting than alternatives. It's sort of funny how strong it is. Heck, just the addition of vanilla hoppers massively increased the power of the base IC2 generator. It might even be too good right now.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the main thing that made solid gens so good - is a possibility to make good fuel farms. Actually, currently there's no reason to build non-renewable power sources except maybe for IC2 reactors since they have a good lifetime and you can dig a lot of uranium and use that for a pretty good period.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
That's certainly a viable alternative, although you go from 720 EU/t to 400 EU/t per segment. Also at that point you run into a problem with being able to physically attach an Import Bus, and Export Bus, a Rednet Cable, and the energy cable on each segment as you stack them. You would likely not see a footprint reduction with the increased wire-wrangling.

Why use two busses per reactor? Just use 2 routers and a bus into each of them.

A router + item filter to extract depleted cells connected to import bus.
A router + machine filter to insert mode into any slot connected to export bus with uranium cell.

Makes walls or floors of reactors -- layer as desired. EU cable, reactor, rednetcable/redstone. Connect layers with chests as needed.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

A router + machine filter to insert mode into any slot connected to export bus with uranium cell.

Makes walls or floors of reactors -- layer as desired. EU cable, reactor, rednetcable/redstone. Connect layers with chests as needed.

An infinite router field is annoying. That is why.

Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019

Exactly.
I raised this point earlier and only one person responded to that part of the post.
And he was wondering if the machine filter would work.
The fact that there are only single uranium cells going in, and only depleted uranium cells coming out, means that a router can be used and there is no chance of it misplacing anything.
This design is simpler, less complicated and less overall expensive, as well as more efficient, uranium wise.

I vote for Peppe, once again the master of Reactors after his infamous 1.4.7 railcraft based 4 reactor breeder design thing.
He's really the only person apart from Omnicrom on these forums that REALLY know reactors.

One thing I disagree with is chests for connections - furnaces have only 2 slots, so make better (cheaper) connectors.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
When GT is installed but Advanced/Compact Solars isn't, a popular strategy is to build a reactor to generate the requisite EU to make UU-matter (usually in conjunction with boosters like lightning rods if the materials are available). That power supply is dedicated to UU matter and is separate from processing.

You must mean when IC2 is installed but not when GT is installed. Default GT config makes uumatter too costly for such a scenario, and the mod as a whole adds nothing other than power gen to make it possible. (Remember, Advancing did not have GT costs for UUmatter)

I have been running a matter gen with 144EU/t input for days, and still do not have a half stack of uumatter at GT prices.

This system produces so very much EU that the mining laser cost is a small price to pay for renewability.

Since they need 1024MJ/t to be fully powered, thats 2560 EU/t. That's never a trivial amount of power, and is almost unreachable without solar add-ons or tiling small-reactors as the OP suggests. It would take 15 of OPs reactors (4 layers) to fully power one laser.

A lightning rod would burst power a laser, but the question is if it is more or less output than a comparable always on generator of similar complexity.

Does Greg, himself, actually feel that nether pumping is an exploit? I get the impression that some people in his forum do but I've yet to see an example of him personally agreeing. If anything, he's made it easier rather than hard to drain the nether. The Advanced Pump is crazy fast and fairly efficient.

His Thermal Generators also provide 50% more power per unit of lava than the base IC2 alternatives, but the advanced pump is along the same thought process as extruders: "People are doing it anyways, may as well reduce the server load.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly.
I raised this point earlier and only one person responded to that part of the post.
And he was wondering if the machine filter would work.
The fact that there are only single uranium cells going in, and only depleted uranium cells coming out, means that a router can be used and there is no chance of it misplacing anything.
This design is simpler, less complicated and less overall expensive, as well as more efficient, uranium wise.

I vote for Peppe, once again the master of Reactors after his infamous 1.4.7 railcraft based 4 reactor breeder design thing.
He's really the only person apart from Omnicrom on these forums that REALLY know reactors.

One thing I disagree with is chests for connections - furnaces have only 2 slots, so make better (cheaper) connectors.

Well I knew I could pull stuff out and put stuff in, after doing exactly that with routers previously (and subsequently violently exploding everything within the shielding). I'll have to play around in creative tonight getting the machine filter and specifics down. Routers are fucking awesome and if they'll work the way I'm hoping, any reactor config could be tile-able and safe (even the extremely dangerous ones where you have to swap stuff out every few seconds) assuming the requisite resources are present.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Doing a bit of fiddling, I've come up with a cheaper reactor which produces lower EU/t but also have no copper maintainance costs. The reactor can be found here

For those who have disabled java, picture is spoilered:
Gua6X0F.png

Each one produces 120 EU/t as opposed to 180 EU/t, but it won't eat up a half stack of copper per reactor per cycle. You also save some four hundred or so copper per segment. The Eff 3 is the same.

martyyp

Jul 29, 2019
This seems like a very costly, but rewarding investment. I like to spend tons of resources on things, not just let them pile up :)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You must mean when IC2 is installed but not when GT is installed. Default GT config makes uumatter too costly for such a scenario, and the mod as a whole adds nothing other than power gen to make it possible. (Remember, Advancing did not have GT costs for UUmatter)

I have been running a matter gen with 144EU/t input for days, and still do not have a half stack of uumatter at GT prices.

No. I just think a lot of people do this. I didn't say it was the best approach, I just didn't want to get into that power design debate again, fruitlessly.

But doesn't GT make pulsed reactors cheaper, not more expensive? I thought the copper cost was cut substantially in March.

That's never a trivial amount of power, and is almost unreachable without solar add-ons or tiling small-reactors as the OP suggests. It would take 15 of OPs reactors (4 layers) to fully power one laser.

A lightning rod would burst power a laser, but the question is if it is more or less output than a comparable always on generator of similar complexity.

I only mention it because I think it's interesting. When you reach that threshold of power then it becomes sustainable. It's a sort of nuclear-power-as-orbital-mechanics sort of thing. He's rocking 7200 eu/t, which is more than enough to feed that machine and probably one more with a properly set up mining laser at these configurations.

That makes it somewhat singular in that you can have sustainable mega-EU/t. I don't even know what that means, but I suspect it is awesome.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I do have 1 problem with this - it has a rather low efficiency of 3. With a good breeder this isn't a huge issue, but hey... some of us have compulsions :p

Still it is a rather nice setup I must say, and a lot less laggy than a tree farm. I reckon i'll uild one of these instead.

By the way, Dave - what is this laser you mention for producing uranium? From what I gather by reading this thread its an MJ device that creates useful materials... could you tell me more about it please? :)