Now that AE2 has a 1.10 release, do people prefer it or Refined Storage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mass Storage Mass Appeal?

• AE2, first and best!

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Refined Storage, the new king!

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
AE2= microblocks and the emitters and buses were able to be put in one block...
I don´t care about all the cons... this wins it for me. :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Fun things to do with AE2 terminals? Place them in the block at the bottom of a window made with a Glass Pane. Now you can access it from either side of the wall. Or place them facing a block, and then use a piston to pull the block out, revealing the panels, or hiding them when the piston is extended.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
With as much butthurt as there was when AE2 was when it first came out, I suspect the majority will enjoy a reboot to Easy-Button AE1 style storage. The AE2 channel system is what divided a vast number of people, but for me the crystal growth mechanics (including in-world crafting) was the biggest turnoff. If that has changed, I'm completely OK with the channels still being there as an attempt at balance.

To me, this answer lies in the overall goal of the pack. If the pack is a casual play just to test new mods and mod interactivity, Refined Storage and it's AE1 style simplicity are a boon. If the pack is more themed or (eventually) quested, the added steps and difficulty to automate present opportunities for adventure hooks, which can add to the experience. If modded MC has taught me anything, it's that there is no "one mod to rule them all.". Everything has a place somewhere, and a well designed pack can showcase even the most mundane mod in a good light given the effort.

No vote here. I'll enjoy the strength of each when deemed fit, and enjoy the solace of options should one wear on me.
The 1.10 direwolf20 pack is doing a good job of showcas showcasing new mods
With as much butthurt as there was when AE2 was when it first came out, I suspect the majority will enjoy a reboot to Easy-Button AE1 style storage. The AE2 channel system is what divided a vast number of people, but for me the crystal growth mechanics (including in-world crafting) was the biggest turnoff. If that has changed, I'm completely OK with the channels still being there as an attempt at balance.

To me, this answer lies in the overall goal of the pack. If the pack is a casual play just to test new mods and mod interactivity, Refined Storage and it's AE1 style simplicity are a boon. If the pack is more themed or (eventually) quested, the added steps and difficulty to automate present opportunities for adventure hooks, which can add to the experience. If modded MC has taught me anything, it's that there is no "one mod to rule them all.". Everything has a place somewhere, and a well designed pack can showcase even the most mundane mod in a good light given the effort.

No vote here. I'll enjoy the strength of each when deemed fit, and enjoy the solace of options should one wear on me.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I just noticed that Ender IO added 9 tiers of storage to go with their inventory control panel. The range goes from "tiny" to "extended warehouse". I don't know what that means yet, but I'm willing to give it a go in smaller, more focused or "lite" packs and not add either of those mods.

I like AE2 enough that I wasn't even considering any alternatives, especially not a copycat, not even if it has recognized improvements. But to do without and get a little deeper into another mod I already use? I think I can live with fewer bells and whistles for that.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I just noticed that Ender IO added 9 tiers of storage to go with their inventory control panel. The range goes from "tiny" to "extended warehouse". I don't know what that means yet, but I'm willing to give it a go in smaller, more focused or "lite" packs and not add either of those mods.

I like AE2 enough that I wasn't even considering any alternatives, especially not a copycat, not even if it has recognized improvements. But to do without and get a little deeper into another mod I already use? I think I can live with fewer bells and whistles for that.

In the interest of exploring other options, I've delved into RFTools for my storage needs this world. Modular Storage can hold up to 300 stacks per block, and the Storage Scanner's range allows you to include machine inventories, Storage Drawers (Controllers and Slaves as well), and similar without having to have them actually connected by wiring. A tablet can be made to allow you access to all this wherever you go (even cross dimension).

I currently have a bank of Modular Storage blocks filtered for bulk storage, with one unfiltered for random stuffs. Combine this with my previously existing Drawer wall by allowing the Storage Scanner access to the Controller and my storage system is in great shape. I'm now in the process of automating more operations in the base, which I can see some easy paths to so far.

Reactions: Pyure and JaRyCu

hypernova132

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of prefer refined storage. The thing I don't like is I need to go to the nether before I can get the system.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of prefer refined storage. The thing I don't like is I need to go to the nether before I can get the system.

Nether access is appropriate for the level of power you're entering into, IMO. You can push to the Nether fast enough - before you have diamonds if you're really in a hurry. The major factor I saw was the sheer quantity of Nether Quartz needed, although it's abundant enough if you're prepared to go get it.

When compared to AE, both require Nether Quartz in fair quantity, so either way you're headed through the portal.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA

Wait...you don't like doing something that can be done in the first 30 minutes of gameplay, before you can even acquire enough shtuff to need an RS/ME system, because...why? Would you rather them just hand it up to you? That's pretty close to saying you have having to punch trees to get wood to get sticks.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...you don't like doing something that can be done in the first 30 minutes of gameplay, before you can even acquire enough shtuff to need an RS/ME system, because...why? Would you rather them just hand it up to you? That's pretty close to saying you have having to punch trees to get wood to get sticks.
There is NO need to be so hostile. Not everyone has an easy time in the Nether. Plus there's tons of mods that make the Nether much harder.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
There is NO need to be so hostile. Not everyone has an easy time in the Nether. Plus there's tons of mods that make the Nether much harder.

I'm not being hostile so to speak...that post was made more in disbelief than hostility. I keep forgetting yall can't hear my voice when I type stuff.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The thing is, RS actually consumes a *LOT* of Nether Quartz. As in 'multiple stacks'. Everything requires 'quartz-infused iron', which requires, you guessed it, nether quartz. Granted, it's a clever way to avoid having to do worldgen, but on the whole, between AE2's seed crystal system and the level of Fluix required compared to the amount of quartz used in RS... AE2 uses significantly less Nether Quartz.

The problem here isn't necessarily getting to the nether. It's getting the quartz in sufficient quantity. Consider that Quark, a very commonly installed mod, now has blazes spawning all over the nether, and in sizable numbers, and you get a scenario in which it can be an actual challenge.

Unless you are in Sentient Gear from Blood Magic, of course. I'm doing an in-depth tutorial video serieswith @JaRyCu on Blood Magic, and during recording, I got hit point-blank by a creeper... I barely even noticed. Stupidly early-game gear for the quality.

Reactions: JaRyCu

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Unless you are in Sentient Gear from Blood Magic, of course. I'm doing an in-depth tutorial video serieswith @JaRyCu on Blood Magic, and during recording, I got hit point-blank by a creeper... I barely even noticed. Stupidly early-game gear for the quality.

You did it by accident; I did it on purpose. Then I laughed at the remnants of its corpse while I ate an apple on the spot in which it died. BAHAHAHA :cool:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer almost everything about Refined Storage. I first used RS in DW20's pack but am now using it in SkyFactory and the changes in the crafting recipes are welcomed. (less use of the solderer)

the 1 thing I do like about AE2 is the look of the crafting terminal. I love the flat panel concept compared to the box that comes with RS. Even though I always used AE2, I really disliked the extra grind in setting it up. Furthermore, hunting for meteors really annoys me.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, RS actually consumes a *LOT* of Nether Quartz. As in 'multiple stacks'. Everything requires 'quartz-infused iron', which requires, you guessed it, nether quartz. Granted, it's a clever way to avoid having to do worldgen, but on the whole, between AE2's seed crystal system and the level of Fluix required compared to the amount of quartz used in RS... AE2 uses significantly less Nether Quartz.

I hear ya, RS does use a TON of quartz. Now that I have learned how to do mystical agriculture and chickens, I fully plan to grow my own quartz early on, instead of relying on quarries/strip mining.

S

Stryker

Having played with both, I much prefer RS. The main reason for this is trying to get into AE2 on a server is nigh impossible as all meteors in a 5000 block radius have already been scoured, as with the charged crystal you require to start the whole thing (i mined a 90x90 room at level 40 and got 0). Gets very frustrating. Also a lot of people have said RS isnt challenging; whilst the main mechanics are simple (import, export, everything in just plain disks), the uses for it are the complex parts and getting it to work with a variety of situations can be quite complex. AE2 might be more complex but id argue that it turns more people off than on that are trying to get into it. I just wanted a centralised storage system that didn't have me running to 20 levels of my base to find chests. RS does that very simply and so that's why i think it is superior.

D

Daihok

Speaking of AE2. Anyone know if updates are bein worked on? I see on curse it hasnt updated in quite awhile.

Last edited: