New Version Checker Mod

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
No. That isn't happening. There is no reason to disable standard warnings, as they are completely nonintrusive and are similar to the mods button built into Forge. Severe updates maybe; I'll discuss that with my team, but @TomeWyrm is very correct. Severe is intended for issues that, if we didn't alert you, could result in a big headache for the mod author. Severe won't have a config option to turn it off, and maybe your world will thank you if it's ever needed.
Critical not severe :p

Severe will stop loading of the game with a click-to-advance

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't care as to if your mods are up to date or not, then that's great. This thread is here to discuss how the mod will implement a version checker, not to debate the existence of the idea. If you want to argue as to if this is a good idea for a mod or not, I invite you to create a new thread and do that in there. I won't respond to anything along the lines of your post in this thread anymore.

I welcome a centralized mod checking mod. I think it's a wonderful idea. I really do. I'm only concerned about highly intrusive methods of communicating those updates. If one can get all those updates where I can see them neatly? Awesome! That could really clean up the chat box on launch while I'm between modpack releases. I just refuse to install any mod, no matter how good or useful, if it will hinder my experience with popups and the like. Doubly so if it will harass the players on my server as they don't need to know what I know on mod versions unless it's a client-side mod. Oh, and I should note that I always run with those things turned on, myself.

So ... a few thoughts/questions:
  1. Will there be any option do disable the intrusive side of the notifier (popups/etc) if it is still allowed to notify freely in the chat box for the same severity of update? I don't mind large, bold, red text with plenty of exclamation points!
  2. Will there be any option to only notify in SMP if you're an OP?
  3. Will/can there be separate notification settings for client-side only mods?

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
BTW doing it in chat may be better than a popup because of thr fact that we have more than one mod that will need updating in some situations.
I figured that the popup would have a "more info" button alongside the close button. For one mod, "Mod <x> has a severe issue, you should update! (close)" and for more, "<x> mods have severe issues. (more info) (close)"

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
  • Will there be any option do disable the intrusive side of the notifier (popups/etc) if it is still allowed to notify freely in the chat box for the same severity of update? I don't mind large, bold, red text with plenty of exclamation points!
  • Will there be any option to only notify in SMP if you're an OP?
  • Will/can there be separate notification settings for client-side only mods?
  1. I wouldn't be opposed to that
  2. That will be default
  3. Dunno

Reactions: SynfulChaot

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Severe will stop loading of the game with a click-to-advance.

Will this be on starting up the MC client or on connecting to a world?
  1. I wouldn't be opposed to that
  2. That will be default
  3. Dunno

1. I'll cross my fingers as that's my only real concern about it.
  2. Cool!
  3. This would be a cool feature if it was there because then that gives users of modpacks notifications for things they can update. Hmm ... maybe have it be part of your API that people can flag their own mod as?
These will be discussed in private, I should have an answer for you today.

I'll cross my fingers!

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
How about justeach person checks some buttons in their options menu, to show them or not show them, depending on conditions like if they're OP or jsut master-off.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Will this be on starting up the MC client or on connecting to a world?
Starting up MC, no point in penalizing someone for going in and out of world unless it is critical (world-breaking)
  • This would be a cool feature if it was there because then that gives users of modpacks notifications for things they can update. Hmm ... maybe have it be part of your API that people can flag their own mod as?
Definitely a possibility. We could have that as one of the YAML/JSON things that we process, fairly simple to implement

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I welcome a centralized mod checking mod. I think it's a wonderful idea. I really do. I'm only concerned about highly intrusive methods of communicating those updates. If one can get all those updates where I can see them neatly? Awesome! That could really clean up the chat box on launch while I'm between modpack releases. I just refuse to install any mod, no matter how good or useful, if it will hinder my experience with popups and the like. Doubly so if it will harass the players on my server as they don't need to know what I know on mod versions unless it's a client-side mod. Oh, and I should note that I always run with those things turned on, myself.

So ... a few thoughts/questions:
  1. Will there be any option do disable the intrusive side of the notifier (popups/etc) if it is still allowed to notify freely in the chat box for the same severity of update? I don't mind large, bold, red text with plenty of exclamation points!
  2. Will there be any option to only notify in SMP if you're an OP?
  3. Will/can there be separate notification settings for client-side only mods?
1. Chat spam is MORE intrusive to me. Every time I bring up my chatbox (which I do to free my cursor on a multi-monitor setup) a chat message will spam me. If it's big and red, it will annoy me, if addon authors don't use UpToDate it will be buried amongst their spam and therefore less than useful. The popup will remove itself after I click it and NOT BUG ME AGAIN THAT SESSION. It also will show itself as being special because it is as compared to the standard chat spam, and won't be lost amongst the clutter of a zillionty 6 mods that won't implement UpToDate's framework properly, or won't utilize it at all. Also that suggestion runs counter to the entire point of having critical updates be popups: intrusiveness and noticability.
2. Most mods are going to be notifying out in the main screen like Dyonius' Update Checker... so... this concern is nearly entirely irrelevant?
3. Most mods are going to be notifying out in the main screen like Dyonius' Update Checker... so... this concern is nearly entirely irrelevant?

Please actually read the planned implementation?

Also you are in the EXTREME minority here Synful, the repetitive argument has merit to YOU. Good, great, whatever. It's annoying and we're ignoring it for obvious reasons that we can back up with actual people while you simply say "My reasons are better, lots of people will hate this" when the only person I've seen agree with you is ScottulusMaximus. Everyone else had concerns that were either assuaged by more information, or changed the mod in some way. Except for yours. If you can't see that, I'm sorry. But please don't clutter up the thread with something the participants have stated they're going to ignore and don't want in the thread? Also really read the ideas in the thread, because your concerns are either in your blind spot where you just keep pressing the issue, or you're looking at them through blinkers and missing the forest for the trees. 90%+ of mod updates using this system will not bother you inside the server/single player at all. Severe will pause you after you click "Log In/Start World" but before you actually get into that world. Critical will have the dismissable pop up which will not impact gameplay in any way, will be easy to disable for the whole session, and less intrusive to at least myself as compared to that thrice-blasted chatsplosion I get now. EVERYTHING ELSE WILL BE OUT IN THE MAIN MENU SOMEWHERE!

Definitely a possibility. We could have that as one of the YAML/JSON things that we process, fairly simple to implement
It's not needed actually. The implementation as currently planned will allow you to notice any client-side mod updates that aren't severe/critical before you even click the single/multi-player buttons. I guess you could have severe client-only mods pop up a click-thru before the main menu? Though I don't think any of them would ever be flagged as severe/critical anyway.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
1. Chat spam is MORE intrusive to me. Every time I bring up my chatbox (which I do to free my cursor on a multi-monitor setup) a chat message will spam me. If it's big and red, it will annoy me, if addon authors don't use UpToDate it will be buried amongst their spam and therefore less than useful. The popup will remove itself after I click it and NOT BUG ME AGAIN THAT SESSION. It also will show itself as being special because it is as compared to the standard chat spam, and won't be lost amongst the clutter of a zillionty 6 mods that won't implement UpToDate's framework properly, or won't utilize it at all. Also that suggestion runs counter to the entire point of having critical updates be popups: intrusiveness and noticability.
2. Most mods are going to be notifying out in the main screen like Dyonius' Update Checker... so... this concern is nearly entirely irrelevant?
3. Most mods are going to be notifying out in the main screen like Dyonius' Update Checker... so... this concern is nearly entirely irrelevant?

Also you are in the EXTREME minority here Synful, the repetitive argument has merit to YOU. Good, great, whatever. It's annoying and we're ignoring it for obvious reasons that we can back up with actual people while you simply say "My reasons are better, lots of people will hate this" when the only person I've seen agree with you is ScottulusMaximus. Everyone else had concerns that were either assuaged by more information, or changed the mod in some way. Except for yours. If you can't see that, I'm sorry. But please don't clutter up the thread with something the participants have stated they're going to ignore and don't want in the thread? Also really read the ideas in the thread, because your concerns are either in your blind spot where you just keep pressing the issue, or you're looking at them through blinkers and missing the forest for the trees. 90%+ of mod updates using this system will not bother you inside the server/single player at all. Severe will pause you after you click "Log In/Start World" but before you actually get into that world. Critical will have the dismissable pop up which will not impact gameplay in any way, will be easy to disable for the whole session, and less intrusive to at least myself as compared to that thrice-blasted chatsplosion I get now. EVERYTHING ELSE WILL BE OUT IN THE MAIN MENU SOMEWHERE!
At this point, I am waiting for someone - bonus points if a pack dev, and triple bonus points if someone with name recognition - to come along and complain about the lack of support for old versions...

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

It's not needed actually. The implementation as currently planned will allow you to notice any client-side mod updates that aren't severe/critical before you even click the single/multi-player buttons. I guess you could have severe client-only mods pop up a click-thru before the main menu? Though I don't think any of them would ever be flagged as severe/critical anyway.
Actually severe is during loading not entering game, but y'know :p

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
My two cents:

1. I am in favor of some centralized update-tracker mod, such as UpToDate. I may not install it in my custom packs because laziness (so bonus points if it's built into CoFH Core or something that I probably already have installed), but I certainly won't bother with removing it from a public pack that contains it.

2. Would it be possible to put severe updates on the splash screen as well as the click-through menu thingy and critical updates in all three places? The thing that annoys me the most about the in-game chat messages, popups, and whatnot is that by the time I see them, I'm already ready to play, and I usually just ignore them (even Reika's marquee) out of pure laziness and never get around to updating. If I get the message before loading up my world; or more importantly, if I see the messages on the splash screen (or in a "Your mods are out of date!" dirtscreen that I suggested to Reika a week or two ago) after I leave my world, I'll be much more likely to download the updates as soon as I see them.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
My two cents:

1. I am in favor of some centralized update-tracker mod, such as UpToDate. I may not install it in my custom packs because laziness (so bonus points if it's built into CoFH Core or something that I probably already have installed), but I certainly won't bother with removing it from a public pack that contains it.

2. Would it be possible to put severe updates on the splash screen as well as the click-through menu thingy and critical updates in all three places? The thing that annoys me the most about the in-game chat messages, popups, and whatnot is that by the time I see them, I'm already ready to play, and I usually just ignore them (even Reika's marquee) out of pure laziness and never get around to updating. If I get the message before loading up my world; or more importantly, if I see the messages on the splash screen (or in a "Your mods are out of date!" dirtscreen that I suggested to Reika a week or two ago) after I leave my world, I'll be much more likely to download the updates as soon as I see them.
All mods out of date will show up on the main menu in the updates section (which will probably have the number of it of date). And then severe will do the stopping of loading the game, I dunno about after you leave the world though

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
All mods out of date will show up on the main menu in the updates section (which will probably have the number of it of date). And then severe will do the stopping of loading the game, I dunno about after you leave the world though
Ok, so I can reduce/extend my suggestion to the following:
2a. Make critical updates (those are the YOU MUST UPDATE NAO!!!!!! ones, right?) stop the game loading and appear alongside the severe updates, with a [SEVERE] or [!!!CRITICAL!!!] tag or something to differentiate them.

2b. Put lots of red exclamation points or something equally obnoxious (might should be configurable) on the splash screen when there's critical updates.

By all means, don't remove the in-game popups. If there's a world-corrupting bug in one of the mods, I want to be yelled at as many times as possible. And before I actually load up my world.

Another thing: If you're going to add an "Updates" button to the splash screen similar to CoolSquid's thingy, put the number of outdated mods on the button itself, and change the color depending on the severity of the updates. If I have to click a button to see if there's any (minor) updates, I probably just won't.

Reactions: TomeWyrm

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
At this point, I am waiting for someone - bonus points if a pack dev, and triple bonus points if someone with name recognition - to come along and complain about the lack of support for old versions...
I dunno, we had KingLemming... on this side of the topic though, not the bonus points area