New Version Checker Mod

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Automatic downloads with no user action are generally frowned upon. However, these critical notifications will be closable

If the intent is for widespread use, know that having any popups or spam requiring manual intervention to close, even if for 'critical' updates, will cause many to avoid it like the plague.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, but the point of critical update notifications is to make sure that people know about it. These should be things that WILL break your world if you don't fix them, world corruption issues, fatal mod interactions, rabbit processes, etc.

All of these notifications will be user-removable, but the sad state of affairs is that many server admins are significantly less competent than you or I. They got the job not because of skill or merit, but because they had the money at the time. In the event of a bug being discovered that can break my world at some point if I don't fix, even if I don't use the mod in question right now, and even if nobody on my server does? I would MUCH rather have everyone on the server pestering me about this update notification than have to fix the bug at some later date because I was on vacation and hadn't booted up the game.

You've made your position clear on every in-game update notification, that you don't like them. Personally I think you are overestimating the number of administrators like yourself.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
If the intent is for widespread use, know that having any popups or spam requiring manual intervention to close, even if for 'critical' updates, will cause many to avoid it like the plague.
Critical is critical. Severe or normal should be used most of the time, but critical is for world-corrupting bad.
Nothing's stopping a mod author from using critical for every update, but it isn't our job to police how people use a framework.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Critical is critical. Severe or normal should be used most of the time, but critical is for world-corrupting bad.
Nothing's stopping a mod author from using critical for every update, but it isn't our job to police how people use a framework.

As one who actually works in server administration, I'm well aware of what 'critical' is supposed to mean. Be that as it may, without the ability to not have popups and the like then I assure you that many will avoid it in favor of less intrusive methods if there is no ability, even if hidden behind configs, to disable those more intrusive methods.

I honestly would love to use a centralized method for version checking like this is supposed to accomplish ... but not like this.

Last edited:

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Define "many" and I bet I could prove that a greater percentage will either be neutral or approve of critical issues giving an in-world popup. I understand that you feel strongly about this SynfulChaot, really. But you are nigh certainly in the minority in this, and I at the very least am beginning to become quite disappointed in your repetitive comments.

We get it. You don't like anything that can show to people in game that you can't turn off for users. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, you're in the minority on this one. The reason that argument had so much support in Reikas threads is because that behavior was for every update. This won't be; unless someone abuses the framework, which is NOT the team or the framework's problem. If you would rather have a world corrupting bug slip by you because you took a 1 week break? Go for it. Critical updates are meant to be of such severity that NOT alerting everyone and their dog to the problem with a megaphone and flashing neon signs should be seen as negligence. That is why the in-game notifications, which you can close, wasting maybe 3 seconds of your time... I'm sorry I just can't see why you're so tenaciously set against this. This entire project is being more than reasonable about the whole update check thing, it's providing an amazingly varied set of update severities, which all escalate in level of note in a logical manner. This can only help stability, and mods you are currently using have this capability baked in. CoFH for instance bypasses all the config options to yell at you if there's a Critical update.

But you're obviously not the target audience for this mod.

Reactions: Reika and Lethosos

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Define "many" and I bet I could prove that a greater percentage will either be neutral or approve of critical issues giving an in-world popup. I understand that you feel strongly about this SynfulChaot, really. But you are nigh certainly in the minority in this, and I at the very least am beginning to become quite disappointed in your repetitive comments.

We get it. You don't like anything that can show to people in game that you can't turn off for users. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, you're in the minority on this one. The reason that argument had so much support in Reikas threads is because that behavior was for every update. This won't be; unless someone abuses the framework, which is NOT the team or the framework's problem. If you would rather have a world corrupting bug slip by you because you took a 1 week break? Go for it. Critical updates are meant to be of such severity that NOT alerting everyone and their dog to the problem with a megaphone and flashing neon signs should be seen as negligence. That is why the in-game notifications, which you can close, wasting maybe 3 seconds of your time... I'm sorry I just can't see why you're so tenaciously set against this. This entire project is being more than reasonable about the whole update check thing, it's providing an amazingly varied set of update severities, which all escalate in level of note in a logical manner. This can only help stability, and mods you are currently using have this capability baked in. CoFH for instance bypasses all the config options to yell at you if there's a Critical update.

You misunderstand my position. CoFH will bypass your config options to tell you in chat. And only for truly critical things. I can live with that, even if I don't agree entirely as it's informative yet not too intrusive. You could even put a link to the update itself with that method, similar to what Vazkii does with Botania.

What I think is going too far is any form of popup, banner, marquee, and the like. People have been installing browser plugins for years to hide those damn things ... what makes you think they'll welcome such things here with open arms? Especially when the chat box is perfectly suited as a vector for information and alert delivery. Doubly so when it's not spammed with all the trivial updates as well. Want people to pay more attention to them? Use the alert to tell them why the update is critical. If they still ignore that then no popup is going to convince them anyways.

And I don't care that you find my arguments to be repetitive. They have merit, even if you don't want to see that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
If someone wants to have warnings for each update, they wouldn't need this mod to do so. You would've experienced it anyways, just with another design. Also, an API can't block all potential misuses. I can't be blamed if someone uses SquidAPIs serverhelper to make a force op mod.
Fair enough. But I don't want to have to disable the whole updater mod and miss out on other mods' updates in case one mod abuses it. Maybe allow enabling/disabling update checks for each mod individually?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The only way I would install this is if it has a config option to disable ALL notifications.

If all it does is invent news ways of spamming me then it'll be the first thing I remove out of a modpack. The VAST majority of people these days play PACKS, which means they have NO control or maybe even ability to update specific mods and certainly won't spare the effort. Therefore any notification about out of date mods is spam to anyone but the pack creator.

FFS Infinity is the very first pack I've ever played, all my other worlds were custom modlists, I know how to configure an instance and even I don't want a damn pop up.

The people who care about having up to date mods already know if there's an update... The average user couldn't care less, even if it's potentially world destroying.

Last edited:
Reactions: SynfulChaot

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The only way I would install this is if it has a config option to disable ALL notifications.
No. That isn't happening. There is no reason to disable standard warnings, as they are completely nonintrusive and are similar to the mods button built into Forge. Severe updates maybe; I'll discuss that with my team, but @TomeWyrm is very correct. Severe is intended for issues that, if we didn't alert you, could result in a big headache for the mod author. Severe won't have a config option to turn it off, and maybe your world will thank you if it's ever needed.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
No. That isn't happening. There is no reason to disable standard warnings, as they are completely nonintrusive and are similar to the mods button built into Forge. Severe updates maybe; I'll discuss that with my team, but @TomeWyrm is very correct. Severe is intended for issues that, if we didn't alert you, could result in a big headache for the mod author. Severe won't have a config option to turn it off, and maybe your world will thank you if it's ever needed.

Then your mod will be removed from any and all packs I play before I even fire it up.

You lot have got it into your head that this is a good idea, that it'll be in every pack, woohoo!!! It's a terrible idea, NO ONE CARES if mods are UpToDate(vomit). The only time anyone cares is after something breaks, then they load a backup and update the mod.

Even if you notify people of an update, they still will not do it. And every time they open MC it'll annoy them, yeah great idea.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Then your mod will be removed from any and all packs I play before I even fire it up.

You lot have got it into your head that this is a good idea, that it'll be in every pack, woohoo!!! It's a terrible idea, NO ONE CARES if mods are UpToDate(vomit). The only time anyone cares is after something breaks, then they load a backup and update the mod.

Even if you notify people of an update, they still will not do it. And every time they open MC it'll annoy them, yeah great idea.

Unlike you, there are people that care about updating mods as soon as they can.

So yeah, sorry this mod isn't for you, hope you enjoy your packs.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Unlike you, there are people that care about updating mods as soon as they can.

So yeah, sorry this mod isn't for you, hope you enjoy your packs.

Yes, the 5 people making this mod...

But on your head be it, personally I can't wait for the "How do I turn this !@#$ing thing off it's so damn annoying" posts....

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That's wonderful. I don't really care, but I'd like it if your world gets corrupted due to this so I can say "I told you so."

[QUOTE="ScottulusMaximus, post: 1136106, member: 60793"

Even if you notify people of an update, they still will not do it. And every time they open MC it'll annoy them, yeah great idea.[/QUOTE]
Gee, thank you for criticizing an idea which:
  • The modders I've gotten feedback from like
  • Some of the modpack makers I've gotten feedback from like
  • Some amount of the PT agreed it was a good idea
  • Being revised so as to make other people more happy with it
If you don't care as to if your mods are up to date or not, then that's great. This thread is here to discuss how the mod will implement a version checker, not to debate the existence of the idea. If you want to argue as to if this is a good idea for a mod or not, I invite you to create a new thread and do that in there. I won't respond to anything along the lines of your post in this thread anymore.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you

Look, will you kindly cease the flamebaiting? It's really not conducive to a proper debate, unless you want an argument, in which case, this is not Tumblr, go there.