New Version Checker Mod

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I foresee lots of spam then. "Game crashes in <extremely rare scenario which persists across world loads> - critical update!"
Unfortunately that is the only way to do it without setting up a team to moderate it, and that would take a lot of time and limit it to a few mods. I see it as a problem with the mod dev if they use this the wrong way, not our problem. Also, spam won't be a huge issue because you will only be notified with something you don't have to click on to see once per version...

The idea for this was a very open-ended API for version checking. If we do any manual flagging of updates that won't be the case, it is up to the modder to flag the updates well and it is up to the user to trust them to not misuse it
Never mind that it will also be used every time there's a lot of new features.
That would also be a case of the above. Modder's problem, not ours

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, @CoolSquid, the API lets you fetch the json/yaml yourself, so you could just make json/yaml from curseforge yourself. Unfortunately we cannot add CF support on our end until we have some sort of integer to describe the version because of different versioning schemes

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Also, @CoolSquid, the API lets you fetch the json/yaml yourself, so you could just make json/yaml from curseforge yourself. Unfortunately we cannot add CF support on our end until we have some sort of integer to describe the version because of different versioning schemes
You could make the release date into an integer. Might just be problematic in case of multiple updates on one day.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
It seems as if I can only have one ClickEvent per chat message, meaning I will have to send messages once per mod

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Doing a rework now, the json/yaml will have to contain lists so I can check if there has been a critical update, not if the latest is critical

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I foresee lots of spam then. "Game crashes in <extremely rare scenario which persists across world loads> - critical update!"

Never mind that it will also be used every time there's a lot of new features.
It is not our job to enforce how a mod author uses a framework - never mind that it ruins the fact that we're trying to let a mod author use whatever system that they want, be that the webapp that we provide or CurseForge or their own server - but it's also too much work for us (I'm not going to police the community, it's not my job and the community would never stand for it) and it would make it more difficult for mod authors to use it when it's needed. The main tenants of design that, while I'm technically not using for this framework, I frequently bring up when discussing ideas in private:
  • Extensibility
  • Allows its intended purpose to be used quickly (ease of use, minimal intervention required from us, etc.)
There are actually more points that I frequently bring up, but those are the two things I pay the most attention to. Strictly, these aren't being followed by the project - it isn't one of my personal projects, but I still try and stick by these when deciding my stance on a new idea.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
It is not our job to enforce how a mod author uses a framework - never mind that it ruins the fact that we're trying to let a mod author use whatever system that they want, be that the webapp that we provide or CurseForge or their own server - but it's also too much work for us (I'm not going to police the community, it's not my job and the community would never stand for it) and it would make it more difficult for mod authors to use it when it's needed. The main tenants of design that, while I'm technically not using for this framework, I frequently bring up when discussing ideas in private:
  • Extensibility
  • Allows its intended purpose to be used quickly (ease of use, minimal intervention required from us, etc.)
There are actually more points that I frequently bring up, but those are the two things I pay the most attention to. Strictly, these aren't being followed by the project - it isn't one of my personal projects, but I still try and stick by these when deciding my stance on a new idea.
as do I, if it isn't extensible and easy to use it won't become popular, which is critical for a project like this to succeed because it needs to be used by many mainstream devs

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
But you're not gonna be able to make the whole thing Free Software if you use this license though.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why people have to sell it...
Commercial use doesn't have to mean selling. Think servers with entry fees, or maybe even donations.
And point is to reach as widely as possible right? Restrictions like this will work against that.
If you're not comfortable with this then don't contribute.

You guys better don't relicense the whole thing just for including this.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The use of the term "commercial use" was fully intentional, and was used to stop sites like 9minecraft.

I didn't make this code for this project, but for a project owned by me. They wanted my code, so I allowed them to use it under certain terms. If they don't want to use it, not my issue.
Honestly whatever code I write will look like this, but I don't want to have to relicense this. I could relicense under GPL or something similar I guess...

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly whatever code I write will look like this, but I don't want to have to relicense this. I could relicense under GPL or something similar I guess...
I could write a custom license that explicitly disallows rehosting sites while still allowing monetization. I'll get a PiratePad set up and put CoolSquid, you, and I in a convo so we can discuss licensing.