New Version Checker Mod

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to end up writing a script for it. I just need the mod side done first, which will be partly my job and mostly Striking's. I honestly prefer not to deal with the Minecraft end too much.
Same, but I can do it when needed :p

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Almost got it, now I just need to know how to always load this mod last...I was going to test this mod with this mod, but because FML doesn't put it in the List until after a mod post-inits I need to load mine after everything

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
A small question though, wouldn't it be better to check for each mod as soon as it gets registered, and spreading it out, instead of checking 200 mods at the end?

Oh, and I can see some room for improvement in IUpdateable. It's somewhat overcomplicated at the moment. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow, and open a PR with some minor changes if I find it fitting.
It looks fine. Striking's parsing may need to be redone depending on how he did it, though.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Figured out why, my getRemote code is not working correctly. The one problem with that is that I can't test it if I can't get it done myself :p

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Finally got it all working,

So now I have the entire list of mods that need to be updated. So now all that needs to be done is graphical stops and stuff and CF integration. @CoolSquid if you could help with the graphics that would be amazing

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, people, so would everyone be okay with YAML and not JSON, or is a choice between the two a must?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
YAML would combine both YAML and JSON. As YAML 1.2 (and 1.1 practically) is a super-set of JSON
I happen to dislike the indentation requirement, but I'm asking the community so we have an accurate representation over which is preferred.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I happen to dislike the indentation requirement, but I'm asking the community so we have an accurate representation over which is preferred.
...YAML can interpret JSON...that is what I'm saying...if you use a YAML interpreter people can use either YAML or JSON

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I need to know what you want it to look like, where it should be located, etc.
How yours does for regular updates on the main menu for all updates. For severe updates do what yours does for the stopping of loading at a dirt screen. For critical updates in-game like Reika's. I'll add auto-download and all that from then on.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't that conflict with my mods?
You could place it in a different position. And also just surround your code with optionals. If UpToDate is loaded then use it to check your updates, if it isn't then you use your version checkers

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
You could place it in a different position. And also just surround your code with optionals. If UpToDate is loaded then use it to check your updates, if it isn't then you use your version checkers
And for every mod that has a version checker and/or wants one, I would recommend doing this rather than requiring UpToDate as a dependency.