New OP Forestry engine .. forget the rest

aposmontier

Jul 29, 2019
...it's about as efficient as a redstone engine...

I feel like I might be missing something, as the Buildcraft Wiki says that a Redstone engine produces 0.05 MJ/t, and this clockwork engine produces at a minimum 0.5 MJ/t, which is 10 times as much as a redstone engine and at maximum winding, 1.5 MJ/t, or 30 times as much as a redstone engine... In the respect of power produced it seems like this is not at all similar to a redstone engine, but instead to a stirling engine.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like I might be missing something, as the Buildcraft Wiki says that a Redstone engine produces 0.05 MJ/t, and this clockwork engine produces at a minimum 0.5 MJ/t, which is 10 times as much as a redstone engine and at maximum winding, 1.5 MJ/t, or 30 times as much as a redstone engine... In the respect of power produced it seems like this is not at all similar to a redstone engine, but instead to a stirling engine.
redstone engines don't use fuel and don't require you to stand there and wind them. Yes the newer versions don't run forever but in the short term I suppose redstone engines could be viewed as more efficient since they don't require your personal effort for their function.

If you have gold and redstone for a clock and piston, you're far better off using a hobbyist engine, even if that meant using wood for fuel and putting water in manually...IMHO

Reactions: Greyed

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
If you have gold and redstone for a clock and piston, you're far better off using a hobbyist engine, even if that meant using wood for fuel and putting water in manually...IMHO

Exactly this. People are saying this is an early game engine yet, in comparison to other engines, it is more expensive than Sterling (1 redstone), Steam (3 redstone, 1 silver) and Hobbyist (2 gold, 1 redstone). I mean when looking at just the gold content we're talking the difference between 1 Clockwork and 3 Hobbyist.

Niche, sure. Has some unique uses (backup ME Chest power!), definitely. But definitely not something I would consider as a starter engine when 3 others fill that role, and do so better.

Reactions: RedBoss

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Know what would make it stand out? Make it output a relatively large amount of power, but to only do so when actively wound up... And dramatically increase the speed at which power is reduced when not being wound up. Then it's useful as a starter engine again, if you plan for it accordingly... As in, have all your machines running and then be forced to stand there right clicking to make power for them. Then it will truly be the engine equivalent of the quartz grinder lol.

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
There is some investment initially, but I don't mind it for that. It's still a worthy entry engine in my opinion, if only for not worrying about fuel or cooling. I tend to use two of them whilst starting, and it works out quite well. A lot of the initial game also comes down to choice, and it's there if you want it. I'm cool with that.