Votes: 72 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 546 88.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, green area seems to be wasting a lot of space.
Mainly that giant "Play" button in the middle of everything, which could easily be shrunken and moved to a corner and have the "Mods/ Maps/ Texture Packs" area have more space.

(Plus you're missing a couple of buttons. :p)
Also, would you mind using at least some darker colors next time?
You seem to have chosen an exact combination of the brightest, most eye-burning colors. xD
Yeah I kind of agree with the green space actually. It seemed fine with the mod list but it might be too small for maps/etc.

Well if you read the second sentence, I'm not showing a design. Just the functionality and placement of things. And it's easier to read what I'm going for with the interface if I separate them with colors. I didn't have time to make a finished graphically pretty thing, and there's a very minimal chance it will be used at all. And the ftb team has to remake it anyway.

What buttons am I missing in particular? I know I forgot donate button but other than that I don't see any.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you read the second sentence, I'm not showing a design. Just the functionality and placement of things. And it's easier to read what I'm going for with the interface if I separate them with colors. I didn't have time to make a finished graphically pretty thing, and there's a very minimal chance it will be used at all. And the ftb team has to remake it anyway.

What buttons am I missing in particular? I know I forgot donate button but other than that I don't see any.

I understand you're just trying to show the concept and you're not working on aesthetics, still, I'm not asking to make it prettier, or use specific colors, I'm just asking to at least not use retina-burning colors with the brightness of a thousand suns.
(Exaggerating, but you know what I mean. :p)

Also you mainly missed the "Filter Settings," "Edit modpack," "Download Server." "Private Packs," plus the one to choose the modpack version.

You have the search and "Pack Origin" things up left from the filter, but still missing the MC version and Pack availability options.
(Tho they wouldn't really be a big loss yet as there aren't dozens upon dozens of modpacks....yet.)

Plus one can't forget the "Donate" Button. ;)

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
I am not scared of change as long as you don't ever dare to remove precious functionality to make it prettier.
Though I trust you guys doing a good job.
Functionality > design ;)
Though the modding community probably thinks alike so I think I didn't need to say this.

RASISTsquerly

Jul 29, 2019
I think when you load up the launcher and click on one of the modpacks it plays a video on what the modpack looks like so they know what they can build.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I think when you load up the launcher and click on one of the modpacks it plays a video on what the modpack looks like so they know what they can build.
Seems like a cool sounding idea, but that could end up causing lag. Maybe a "More Info" when you scroll over a modpack, then there could be a video you can play, along with images, good lets' plays, and text to help new players out.

Odeul

Jul 29, 2019
Here are my suggestions:
1- A more complete list of texture pack. Currently, there are some great faithful texture pack and bdcraft that could be put on this list. Maybie a better way to submit them to your team ?
2- Some sort of image for every pack: the mindcrack people for their pack, the direwolf team, etc. For the more generic ones, a more generic scene that show what we can do with it.
3- separate the ''custom-made" pack (direwolf, mindcrack) with the generic ones (lite, ultimate) in two different boxes
4- the possibility to expand the window ?

Continue the good work, those packs are great !

Croaganey

Mar 8, 2013
I don't understand how the launcher mechanics work, but I tend to think it seams unnecessary have to download all the mods etc each time you change the mod pack version. can this be updated with the new launcher. say im playing single player on one version then switch to another to play on a server does it really need to download on each change? can this be cached on the system, or an option to cache the files. esp for those that have slower internet or when there's problems or overload on the download system.

This would also be helpful for those of us with *gasp* bandwidth caps. o_O

A related concern: Installing a new pack and finding it downloads the whole pack, then needs to update the same pack is a bit frustrating as those MB add up quickly even for small modpacks.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
This would also be helpful for those of us with *gasp* bandwidth caps. o_O

A related concern: Installing a new pack and finding it downloads the whole pack, then needs to update the same pack is a bit frustrating as those MB add up quickly even for small modpacks.

Plus the people who like to add/ remove/ edit a lot of mods.
I recently lost a ton of skins I had made and added for a mod, simply because I forgot to backup the specific folder when updating...

Having to re-set all the config files and everything over and over and over, (specially since packs update so constantly, which is not a bad thing that they do, and its not what I'm complaining about, but because they reset everything when they do,) can get quite annoying, sometimes I just go ahead and wait on updating, or even skip on some updates altogether because of this.

thecoss

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my take feel free to work on it or comment/feedback, i can give full .psd file if this get's choosen.
5XcEfnj.jpg

Edit: forgot the login button i'll update later if i see an interest in my entry

Reactions: Jubawub

Synnoc

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for making the launcher. One feature I would really like is a separation between added mods and the default ones. For example, I use the Direwolf20 pack, but I add about eight or so mods to it. I also upgrade some default mods early if I want the new features badly enough. I would really love to have a separated area where my additions and changes are listed, so that I can see at a glance what is different from the default. This would also help me make the appropriate changes and additions when the pack is updated.

It would also help a lot if you could reintroduce the version numbers back into the mods in some way. I guess you had a good reason to rename the mod files generically, but when I'm doing mod updates it helps a lot to see what versions are active and disabled, rather than just "forestry" with no additional indicators.

As well, I would love the ability to save my config changes somewhere automatically. I don't make a lot, but I always forget and get them overwritten by an upgrade. (A good example would be the Adventurer's Backpack item enumeration in the Forestry mod.)

Finally, if you could maintain directory state per tab with mod additions that would be great. I put all the mod adds in a directory called "Mod Adds" and the coremods in "Mod Adds Core" underneath the main FTB dir, and would like the "Mods" tab to remember the former and the "CoreMods" tab to remember the latter.

Thanks for listening.

Enchanted Hunter

Jul 29, 2019
I have installed java 64 bit for the ultimate FTB mod pack and it keeps saying I have a 32 bit can you please help me and it only lags when im actually playing when im in the main menu its fine and when im in my inventory its fine

obobeyo

Jul 29, 2019
i suggest you change the private packs options my server i am a admin for was going to create a private pack but didnt because every time we wanted to update we would have to resubmit the pack i suggest you make it so that theres a option to edit the pack without having to resubmit

Cerbby

Jul 29, 2019
What would be nice is a friends system in the launcher to talk with others/ some sort of community interface if possible.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I love love love love love love... (10 Hours Later) love love loooove Paperlord's design! Seriously. If your design isn't chosen, I don't know what will be!

ninjatuna

Jul 29, 2019
1. Retina display mac support (text is currently fine, images are grainy)

2. FTB icon inside the mod pack info should be smaller. As is, it takes up almost half the screen on the default screen size.

3. A "Library" of available mod packs. You could browse this and select the ones that you would like to keep downloaded and up to date. This would seperate out similarly to how steam handles games. Games you have "purchased" (selected in this case) would show up in your library. This leads to #4

4. A virtual "store" to browse. This would include mod packs, and addons for the mod packs. This would allow easier ways to show maps and texture packs relevant to a specific mod pack. Currently if you go to maps, you see a list of all maps whether or not you have the related mod pack installed, or are looking for maps for that mod pack.

The store could list: Mod Packs, Maps, and Texture Packs

The Maps and Texture Packs would be nested under Mod Packs, so it is clear which ones they apply to, and it shows if you have the pack downloaded and asks you to download the pack first if you do not have it installed.

5. Options should not be a tab that is the same size as the rest of your navigation selections. It could be a gear box in one of the corners.

All great suggestions!

OldDogy

Jul 29, 2019
PaperLord !!!
Awesome and user friendly looking ! Would be amazing to see that design in action :D

apart from that, being able to make private packs for ourselves and private closed servers should be enabled with out us having to as permission from every mod creator... -.- It's not like we are going to earn money or something ?
Just Think about it , we are already able to change the existing mods to what ever we like... i can even copy DireWolf20 files in mindcrack folder... and run mindcrack from the launcher witch will actually run direwolf20 ... So why are we not allowed to make a new pack with whatever the name and just place what ever mods we want ?

Private packs for public use are something else , and should have permissions from the creators... but what i'm talking about is totally different :) Hope you look in to it

Cheers

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013

I think your design is better than mine... Not entirely sure why I think that, though.
As to the wasted space in the green section, you could move the "Play" button into the red box.
The pack description could (as per my design) be moved into an "Info" tab to the left of the "Mods" tab.

The "Donate" button could also be placed in the red box.

Reactions: Alcarkse
Status
Not open for further replies.